Hey, I've Been There!

Moseph

Parts of Water Boy were filmed at Stetson University, where I went to school. It's very disconcerting to see the magic of editing at work, where one scene shifts back and forth between places I recognize and places I don't.

An example I can think of off the top of my head: in the scene where Adam Sandler is taking the high school equivalency exam, he's in a big empty auditorium-like building. When he walks out, he's on the steps of Stetson's student union building. The interior shot isn't the same building he's shown walking out of. I don't know what building that is, actually, but it's not on Stetson campus.

The only other scene I can remember offhand as definitely being Stetson is the one where he sits near the window in a lecture in order to be able to look outside and see a fountain. I've had classes in that room.

Some scenes from Smokey and the Bandit were filmed in my hometown, Jupiter FL. Burt Reynolds actually has a house in Jupiter.

Too many movies and shows to count have been filmed where I live, in Vancouver, BC, Canada (which is sometimes jokingly referred to as "Hollywood North") . But just to name a few, one obvious one is the first 5 seasons of the X-Files, with the final episode of season 5 actually having its story formally take place in Vancouver for once instead of just pretending it was any number of US cities.

Movies, one humorous one is Rumble in the Bronx, which... was not shot in the Bronx, and, more recently, several scenes from The Day the Earth Stood Still were shot at the University of British Colombia. But there's a hell of a lot more where that came from!

Days of Thunder features a ton of shots filmed at Phoenix International Speedway, which I've been to many times. You can always tell when a scene cuts to that track because the walls at the time the movie was filmed were alternating blocks of red and white. It's really weird when the movie says they aren't at Phoenix, and yet at certain points just by looking at the walls, it's plain to see that they are. One race scene cuts between like 4 different tracks.

I've driven by the building blown up at the end of No Code of Conduct countless times. More info on it.

There's a scene in Across the Universe that has some sort of psychedelic shop that sell bongs in the background. I went in there completely oblivious to its use as a film backdrop, and it turned out to be a grocery store with a faux front. Not that I was, er, looking for bongs or anything... :shock: ...but it was fun to finally see the shop in the film and get a sense of closure.

Too many movies and shows to count have been filmed where I live, in Vancouver, BC, Canada (which is sometimes jokingly referred to as "Hollywood North") .

Hey, that reminds me... when I was in Victoria I took a walk near the castle/mansion where they shot some of the X-Men 2 dorm scenes (or the exterior parts anyway). But that was after they filmed it, and I might not have noticed if I wasn't told, so that probably doesn't count =/