Project: Prime

Zurginator

PPLogo-1-1.png

http://projectprime.wetpaint.com/

THE GOAL:

The goal of Project: Prime is to recreate the hit GameCube game, Metroid Prime, in HD using the power of Crytek's CryENGINE 2.'

THE GAME:

Metroid Prime is the first 3D Metroid game released on November 15, 2002. It was developed by Nintendo-owned Retro Studios and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo GameCube. It is officially classified by Nintendo as a first-person adventure, rather than a first-person shooter, due to the large exploration component to the game. It was also the first Metroid game to be released since Super Metroid, which was released nearly eight years earlier, though this only applies to North America as in all other markets, it was released after Metroid Fusion.

Metroid Prime was the first of the four part Prime storyline, which takes place between the original Metroid and Metroid II: Return of Samus. The title was later bundled with the GameCube in 2004. Like the rest of the series, Metroid Prime has a science fiction setting, once again allowing you to play as the bounty hunter Samus Aran. The story follows Samus battling the Space Pirates and their biological experiments on planet Tallon IV.

Project: Orpheon

In Project Prime, we are aiming for a darker, more mechanical feel, as was seen in the E3 showing from Retro. Orpheon now has no global lighting, and what lights it has are faded and dim from the destruction caused by the parasites.

Orpheon-9.jpg

orpheon-10.jpg

So, uhh...

What are you guys going to do when the C&D arrives?

It won't. Nintendo has a way of letting things slide, particularly with Metroid. Look at how many fan games the let go on, even ones that are STEALING OFFICIAL RESOURCES.

We, however, are remaking everything ourselves, so that adds to the chance of them letting us slide. (Just like they let MP2D slide).

This is a really cool idea and project, and so long as there's no exchanging of money involved Nintendo will probably let it slide. This'll take you guys a while though, this is like a whole Black Mesa. I hope you're in it for the long haul though. How far into it are you now?

This is a really cool idea and project, and so long as there's no exchanging of money involved Nintendo will probably let it slide. This'll take you guys a while though, this is like a whole Black Mesa. I hope you're in it for the long haul though. How far into it are you now?

Orpheon is pretty far along, it will probably take the longest, due to the fact that I have to make the entire thing out of 'solids' through the editor. (Solids are rectangular prisms, no other shapes. >_<)

Tallon Overworld was pretty close to done, but we have started over on it, for various reasons. The new map is MUCH better, and about as far along as Orpheon

Phendrana Drifts is the closest to completion, by far, as we have the entire map roughed out and ready for detailing, which is decently far along as well.

Magmoor caverns is just getting started.

So I mean, we have a good bit done, but yeah, we're in it for the long haul. I'm planning on using it for my application to various game studios.

It won't. Nintendo has a way of letting things slide, particularly with Metroid. Look at how many fan games the let go on, even ones that are STEALING OFFICIAL RESOURCES.

We, however, are remaking everything ourselves, so that adds to the chance of them letting us slide. (Just like they let MP2D slide).

Not necessarily; a 3D Prime remake could interfere with their bottom line, seen as competing with Other: M.

Just be careful dude. :(

Not necessarily; a 3D Prime remake could interfere with their bottom line, seen as competing with Other: M.

Just be careful dude. :(

Don't worry about it. And OMG its that guy! I love your music man! :D

Btw, we need help, so if anyone is good at Modeling, Texturing, Music (I wonder.... considering what forum this is), or Sandbox 2, please speak up!

Screen of Phendrana to cheer yall up:

Phendrana-3.jpg

Why invest so much time into a game that will most likely see a C&D order, when you could invest that same time into an original IP of your own that you could do whatever with?

To qualify this statement so you know I'm not talking out of my ass; I spent 4 or so YEARS working on a game that did what you're doing, except on the Unreal engine, and for Total Annihilation. (link: http://ua.tauniverse.com/ )

In the end it was a waste of time. Even if we'd completely finished, it was a constant battle between keeping it faithful to the source and being creative. Also we had to deal with issues where engine differences made certain aspects difficult if not impossible.

And when we did get a release out, all we got was bitching and whining about how it wasn't the same as the original.

Do yourself a favor and just roll your own IP.

Why invest so much time into a game that will most likely see a C&D order, when you could invest that same time into an original IP of your own that you could do whatever with?

STOP BEING SO PESSIMISTIC!!! :-x:-x

And because:

A- I love this game and want a better version

B- It's fun

C- I can

Enjoy the heartbreak when Nintendo coldheartedly sends you a C&D.

You may think they won't, but they will. You're modernizing an IP that has no need to be modernized -- because it already is modernized by the very company who owns it.

It's one thing to try and do it to an old, dead property like ChronoTrigger (which Square still defends vigorously), but do you seriously think Nintendo isn't going to take note and rape you in the ass for this?

Just start with something new. I guarantee you if you're building this for a portfolio, your own original content will get you far more attention from companies than an unoriginal "remake".

Enjoy the heartbreak when Nintendo coldheartedly sends you a C&D.

You may think they won't, but they will. You're modernizing an IP that has no need to be modernized -- because it already is modernized by the very company who owns it.

It's one thing to try and do it to an old, dead property like ChronoTrigger (which Square still defends vigorously), but do you seriously think Nintendo isn't going to take note and rape you in the ass for this?

Just start with something new. I guarantee you if you're building this for a portfolio, your own original content will get you far more attention from companies than an unoriginal "remake".

MP2D has been going on for almost 5 years, so like I said, we'll take it as it happens. Besides, we're already too far along to change it now.

Oh, and I AM working on something else that is original, but this is mah pet project. Even if we get a C&D I'll still finish it, just not in public.

Now that I think about it, if you can do this kind of work, why not do an original project and actually get paid for it!?

I'm surprised about black mesa actually, what reason did they have to go through that much work, even if it will be absolutely awesome :-P

Adding my token to the "waiting for the C&D" pile. I love Metroid Prime to death and I had the idea for making a computer port of it years ago myself, but never did bother with it. With stuff like this, it's better to just release it and advertise then, when it's safely out on the interwebs and a C&D can't do anything to you than to advertise ahead of completion.

I look forward to its (incredibly hopeful) completion, but - again - still think it's more likely you'll get C&D'd.

don't mind neko, he's a relatively civilized troll - no more. he's just pissed because he'd never get off his ass and do something cool like this.

Sorry, I've done things far cooler than this -- and finished them.

This is a half-baked project that will never get fully off the ground, just like 99% of proposed game remaking projects that come to this site.

The only difference is that this guy isn't asking for music for this one.

This is a half-baked project that will never get fully off the ground, just like 99% of proposed game remaking projects that come to this site.

The only difference is that this guy isn't asking for music for this one.

It's actually already fully off the ground. It's playable and I'd say we have 25-30% of the mapping finished. We've got a good deal of the models finished and a team that is dedicated to the project, not just a bunch of random people.

So it's not 'proposed', it's 'being completed'.

http://www.ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?p=556573#post556573

Nope, basically the same (although I never discourage it - I've just learned never to get my hopes up :P).

At least I'm not asking for it all at once, and right now. :P

Wow, that's kind a jerky thing to say.

Well so was this, the best way to counter a jerk is to be one: