Blur - Wolf's Instinct

Blur

Hello OCR, ^^.

Well, I wrote this song in just inspiration of wolves really (lamely, I'm a big fan, XD). Anyways, I've always been real nervous to post my stuff up here since I'm usually floored by your guys' work, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of this piece. I can't really afford any music programs for my iMac, so I've been making everything with GarageBand, some software instruments I've found on the internet, recordings of my guitar through a Line 6 Tone Port UX2, and EZdrummer drumming software.

Wolf's Instinct

Thanks a ton for taking the time to listen; I really appreciate it!

-Blur

Hello OCR, ^^.

Well, I wrote this song in just inspiration of wolves really (lamely, I'm a big fan, XD). Anyways, I've always been real nervous to post my stuff up here since I'm usually floored by your guys' work, but I wanted to see what you guys thought of this piece. I can't really afford any music programs for my iMac, so I've been making everything with GarageBand, some software instruments I've found on the internet, recordings of my guitar through a Line 6 Tone Port UX2, and EZdrummer drumming software.

I just wanna say hell yeah to the Tone Port!!! I've got a UX1 and its fricken awesome. Do you use an electric acoustic guitar? It sounds really nice and comes through very nicely.

Anyways, i'm not sure what to think of the inspired by worlves thing, but whatever works for ya man! I gotta tell ya though, this song rocks. I'm really diggin the whole sort of irish or scottish ethnic tone with the flute(?) lead. All your instruments seem to come through very nicely and your can hear everything clearly, which is obviously the most important aspect of recording. I really the part at 5:15, those chord progressions are awesome.

Now for a production stand point. I think the drums are way too weak. There's not enough bass and its kinda hard to hear the snare sometimes. Now, i'm not saying to crank the volume, but try increasing either the whole drum track or just the snare drum itself. Then try messing with the EQ on the drums and increasing the lows to add more bass for the kick drum.

All in all man, this is very great track and i wouldn't really change much about it all. Your acoustic guitar skills are very impressive. I wouldn't mind hearing a short solo somewhere as well on the acoustic. Looking forward to hearing more from you!

Awesome, another Toneport user, =D! Yeah, I usually use my electric Gibson SG through it. It does sound really nice though, I'm glad I picked one up, ^^.

And yeah, that flute was just some panflute I picked up some where on the internet awhile ago. Thanks for the critique though, I'm glad you said something to help. I think I had one of my friends say the same thing about the drums a while back, but I really should probably beef those up a bit. But thanks for the complement on the acoustic guitar playing though. I actually hardly play the 12 string electric/acoustic I have, so it's a little different from the standard 6 string electric.

Thanks though dude, I greatly appreciate your comment!

-Blur

Some cool stuff here! Very nice rythm guitar work.

The biggest problem is everything's centered, so everything is really indistinct.

Here's what I'd do:

Double-record the rythm guitars, and pan one hard left and the other hard right. This is a great way to beef up the rythm while also moving it out of the way so it doesn't croud out the leads.

Move the flute slightly to one side and the strings slightly to the other.

Vary up the percussion. It's really repetetive (though I like the samples used -- is that the ken ardency kit, or something else?).

Flute-ish thing sounds fake, but I actually really like it. It sounds fake in a way that completely works in this context, and I honestly wouldn't change it.

Thanks. I do have things panned, but I guess not far enough, ^^".

As for the double-record, will it be just as effective to copy the already recorded one on a new track and then do what you said with the panning? Or is that not good?

The drum kit is what ever the basic EZDrummer drum kit uses. I'm not that great with percussion to be honest, so I really don't know much on how to vary it up. I guess that's something to play at then.

And I'm glad the flute thing works in your opinion, but it's really the best sounding flute that I could get my hands on that works for GarageBand. GarageBand really sucks when it comes to letting other outside instruments come in, >=/. I'm trying to save some money up for something more respectable for my Mac like Logic Pro or Logic Studio.

All in all though, thanks for the suggestions, =D. Being a OCRemix, you obiously know your shizz, =D.

-Blur

Thanks. I do have things panned, but I guess not far enough, ^^".

As for the double-record, will it be just as effective to copy the already recorded one on a new track and then do what you said with the panning? Or is that not good?

Won't work; you gotta record it twice. If you take identical recordings and pan them hard to both sides, it will just sound like one centered recording. If you take two very similar recordings, however, the inherent differences between the two make the sound much richer.

Alright, makes sense, ^_^. So...

(Left) Acoustic guitar - Flute - Drums (in center) - Strings - Acoustic guitar (Right)

And I hate to keep bugging you, but do you have any suggestions with the percussion by any chance? Thanks for all the help though.

-Blur

EDIT: Oh, and when you say to pan the acoustic hard right, does that mean all the way, or just very noticeably to one side?

All the way or almost all the way to one side.

As for percussion, it's hard to say specifically; zircon did a really good guide on percussion awhile back, though, you might check that out: http://www.zirconstudios.com/tutorial1.php

Here's the short version: add some variance in velocity, and make sure the drums aren't playing exactly the same thing every measure; throw in some minor variances in the pattern.