OCR01855 - Mega Man 2 "The Wily Malfunction"

djpretzel

There are so many people that I respect and appreciate on this site, and Chris is one of the standouts even among those. He manages to gain more and more of my respect and attention everytime I hear or read anything that pertains to him.

Great interview, I found it to be extremely enlightening, and this is an AWESOME remix. At first, I thought my interface had exploded (or was about to), but then the awesome drops, and it just blew my mind.

Chris, I salute you. Also, you're probably the only person who can roundhouse Chuck Norris.

Honestly, I was new to the whole VGM ReMixing scene at the beginning of this year, and I remember listening to Mazedude's God of War ReMix, "Minotaur Nightmares". First off, I was completely terrified by the end of it and couldn't sleep for weeks, but more importantly, I sat up and was like, "This is really good."

So, after a little bit, I succumbed to OCReMix's ideals of downloading all the songs on the site, even if I hadn't played the games. One of the first things I did before anything else was look up Mazedude again and check out some of the other tracks he had put up. Rather than find that the first song was the only good one (like I usually do with profound and unique artists), I found myself loving it all.

This song is absolutely no different, and yet completely unlike anything before it. I almost thought something was wrong with my computer, my headphones, anything... of course, that was because I had downloaded the song without reading the writeup first (lol). Realizing that it was done on purpose just made me grin and love it a whole lot more.

Heads up, everyone. Mazedude is in the house, so get lost inside of the wondrousness that is his music.

Wow, this fulfills two things that I've been waiting for a long time for...

1.) Another Mazedude mix

2.) A remix of MM2 Wily stage 3-4

3.) A remix using clipping as a musical element

Wait, that's three things... Anyhow, once again Mazedude is here to show us what the full potential of remixing is. I'm amazed that you could make the fuzz as musical as you did, and you have my thanks for doing it.

Chris, I salute you. Also, you're probably the only person who can roundhouse Chuck Norris.
I salute him, too... but I doubt he could roundhouse Chuck Norris.

It's a bit trite to call this "badass," because this is far from triteness, but.. I'm at a loss... so.. this is beyond badass - pretty unique and engaging sound, and while I didn't make too much of the original (I did like how it looped though!), this is something I can really enjoy.

Excellent work mazedude, and really interesting interview.

This ReMix is very awesomely unique. I must confess at first I thought there was something going on with my sound card, but then the rhythm kicked in and I was like, "YES! WIN!"

Very very nice stuff - looking forward to more. Interview was great too - props for playing the trombone!

Also of note - this was the first ReMix I listened to on my new Bose headphones. Awesome.

Personally I was really happy to see this source get tackled, and boy did this ever turn out unique. I'm always happy when someone strays from the norm and tries some new things (and a "new" source in this case) and this is just something else, I really liked the way it ended as well, with it just kinda... staticing out as if the machine finally died or something.

Keep up the awesome work!

Edit: Listening to it a few more times, the way the beat basically evolves out of random static is truly awesome!

This electrifies the living Frankenstein out of the source, imbuing it with sinister, mad scientist-like overtones. Starting off hazy, the fuzz soon metronomifies itself in order to ring in percussion loops that feel like unstable generators. Standouts include the big bad offbeats at 0:34, the abominable snowman-like breaths at 2:43, and the scattered blips at 3:20 and elsewhere. Shakeups to the otherwise tension-building arrangement include 1:24, 2:33, and the down-spiraling synth at 2:57. Fizzing out at the end like a loose wire shedding sparks is a nifty touch as well.

Also, when I listen to the steep fade-in-and-fade-out motions, my face physically contorts as though several megawatts are pulsing through my head. +1 to this mix's attention-grabbing prowess.

Cannot believe someone finally tackled this source. I always thought in a game with some of the best music ever, this was such a strange simplistic song. It was like they ran out of time to write something more elaborate. Regardless, what Mazedude has done with it here is excellent. Great trashy sound with the main melody constantly floating over the mix. Tons of detail and a great groove.

So I'm listening to this mix in a rainstorm, and at the beginning I'm thinking there something wrong with my speakers, what with the intro mixed with some lightning and thunder outside. As things crunched on, I remember the title of the mix, and then I knew - I was in for it :P

The thing I like about Maze is that no matter how diverse his catalog gets, you can always identify his style in anything he does. He's truly the poster boy, er, dude, for OCR.

Awesome write up btw, DJP. Usually I chuckle once during your reviews, but I think I came out with an astounding two chuckles this run-through. But seriously, I love reading your stuff :) One of my motivations for getting a mix posted was just to see what you'd have to say about it! Haven't done that yet, having straying from music lately, but with amazing stuff like this from Mazedude, I know I'll be motivated to come back eventually.

Ok.

I decided to listen this before downloading...just to check it out. When I saw the theme, my mind went to Project X's rendition. I started listening...I heard the static.

I thought something was up with my headfones/speakers to be honest. Then the progression finally hit me. Way to captivate the audience Dude...I'm quite impressed with this particular mix.

Even the ending said something, as I was waiting to hear the rest of the theme being played...in came the static again -laughs-

As always,and particularly THIS time around...Kudos to you Mazedude.

=---

Keep on WINning.

• 2 weeks later...

I must say, i've heard alot of music of megaman before. Remix, the original stuff ((just as pretty much everyone else has)) but this has to be the first time i've heard something so out of character for this game

and also one of the most pleasing and interesting in my life.

The song has a hint of craziness and creepiness that fits so well, especially with wily being who he is but it all comes together with a nice, like it's been said before, crunchy sound.

I approve x100

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01855 - Mega Man 2 "The Wily Malfunction"