Super Mario World - Castle Remix WIP

I don't like to give songs titles until I finish them and can come up with something good.

Anyways,

http://brosofcanada.sepwich.com/SMWCastle-DJYoshiman.mp3

So I've been making music for a long while now, and posting it on a few other forums I go to; forums that don't have primary focus on music, so I would receive minimal critique. So I'm hoping I can get some here so I can definitely improve.

If you like this piece and can only think of a few flaws, by all means, inform me of those few flaws.

If you think this is the shittiest piece of shit you have heard, and you'd rather not trudge through a list of 250+ things wrong with it, please feel free to direct me to some general tutorials that will help me.

I appreciate any comments and critique.

Something I still seem to have difficulty with is properly EQing and applying limiters and compressors to guitar recordings - this is the closest I've gotten to having a guitar sound good on my songs, and it seems to be way too in the background - problem is, doing anything results in it clipping or sounding raunchy. If anyone can show me how, or give some suggestions for that, go right ahead!

Otherwise, enjoy what you can, and let me know what you think!

It sounds like some of the notes are off for some reason starting when that lead synth comes in but that may be intentional. I like the guitars jammin in at 1:28. It adds an unexpected touch from what the drum beat would lead you to believe. That breakdown at 2:54 was pretty sweet. When that signature violin section jumps in at 3:12 you can definitely hear the theme well. I'm actually surprised to not hear it sooner. The double time drums are very nice touch as well. The whole drum track, actually, its well done. Its not repetitive and goes well with what your trying to do.

It seems like it may too long and drawn out. By cutting down on some of the earlier sections it may help shorten it up enough to not be so drawn out. It actually seems like just about everything is well balanced enough but i would suggest tweaking the EQs around a little anyways. Also, maybe add some reverb and delay to some of the instruments. For example, the lead at the end would sound a little better with a small reverb and a nice delay effect and the maybe the drums could use a slight more amount of bass to give it more kick. Definitely fix that lead synth in the very beginning. Even if those were the actual notes, i'd still pick a scale that sounds good with the background track.

I wouild kinda like to hear that classic violin scale earlier in the track, but given the fact that it is a remix, its probably fine where it is. I've been meaning to do a remix of this one myself, but haven't gots the time brotha.

Can't wait to hear the future update.

wow, that's about the third time in a third song someone suggested i should put a delay effect on my lead synths, you'd think i'd learn by now fffff

Anyways, thanks for the critique! I'm unsure what you mean by lead synth in the very beginning - I don't have a lead synth come in until later on in the beginning, when the drums and bass have already entered. You may be referring to the organ - I had some one else also mention that it doesn't sound like the intro, so I may have to more accurately hit the notes, and most likely speed it up so it sounds more like it.

I can definitely make this song slimmer - I still have a good idea or two for it, and it's already hitting 5 minutes and 31 seconds, so that's a definite possibility I should be taking into account.

I've also read your other suggestions and believe they're good ones, and will definitely think about them! Thank you very much!

Mmhokay, first thoughts.

The ambient sort of sound right off the bat is done very well, nice, rich full sound. However, when things pick up at 0:38, I feel like it should be louder. I'd say add some more contrast in volume levels at the beginning to really bring out those first notes after 0:38.

The hats aren't too bad now, but I'd like to hear them more open when they're just quarters to get that dirty clangy feel going with those guitars :tomatoface:

The double time drums at 3:30 seem off to me. My first thought is too many bass drums. I feel like what you may want to try is this with a 2 measure pattern:

1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a | 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a

x....x....x....x....x....x....x....x....|....x....x....x....x....x....x....x....x

...........s......s.....s.......s..........|.............s.......s............s

b....b..........b....b....b.............. | b....b..........b..........b.........b

The 16th notes are going to be quieter than the 2 and 4 that you really gotta nail, and the hi-hat at that speed should pulse with accents on on the 1 2 3 4.

I could see this track beifiting from being about a minute shorter. Take off a little bit here and there and you'll have the length you want.

There are these odd notes left out all by themselves that start at 4:19 that don't feel like they belong there. Maybe they'd work with heavy panning and pitch bend effects to make them sort of creepy quivering notes. But as they are, I don't like them.

The steps up at 5:10 don't follow your chords for more than the first few times, after that, the one part and everything else goes back down and that part keeps climbing. It feels very clashy to me. I'd re-think it.

Hope this helps

-He