MEETUP: Video Games Live Cincinnati

Sinewav

Just got the word that Video Games Live is coming to Cincinnati, and I nearly crapped my pants. I went to the Louisville show with some OCR homeboys last year and it was mega-fun. I'm definitely going this year, and it would be awesome to share the experience with some like minded nerds.

The wonderfully talented Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra will be performing on Monday, July 27. We could possibly do some hanging out the weekend before if anyone so wishes. I'd have to get permission from the rents, but I may be able to house a few people, and I know my backyard would be epic for some BBQ-style action.

So what say you? Anyone interested?

DEFINITELIES:

sinewav

MAYBES:

Tai_Zidek

dPaladin

Ifirit

ProjectSpam

SirChadlyOC

CHUN LI'S:

Sadly, as much as I would seriously love to attend VGL on my birthday in Cincinnati (where my brother happens to live close to as well), this is in direct conflict with the Pixicon/Zircitricks wedding. But I will surely be there in spirit!

Why did you list two names when either is meant to portmanteau both into one?

?;S

While I can't make a definite plan right now, put me in the maybe catagory. I can give a better estimate by July 1st.

It was a lot of fun the last time in Louisville. However, I felt like the whole thing was a little rushed. So, hopefully, if I attend, I'm looking forward to hanging out for a little longer and getting to know some people better.

Put me down as a maybe, as well. I'd love to go, but that's right before I take 2 weeks off from work, so it'll be hard to request another day off.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure "Pixicon" refers to events hosted by the couple, like the wedding event. As in, "Hey buddy, did you RSVP for Pixicon yet?"

"Zircitricks" on the other hand, refers to the people in a singular fashion. As in, "Hey buddy, did you eat breakfast with Zircitricks and BGC?"

Just out of curiosity and for the benefit of others, I'd like to know if there is anything that you're planning on doing during the weekend before the show on Monday night.

Is there also an event of some sort going on, or a place of interest that a group of us could go to? How would in-town travel work out?

Considering the unusual date of the concert, I'm just wondering if this is going to be a formal meet-up or something more casual. It's looking like I might definitely be going, but I think knowing whether this will be formal or not will effect my level of enthusiasm.

Honestly, right now I'm just trying to gauge interest to figure out the level of formality. I'd love it to be a more formal meetup, but if only a few people show...

I don't know of any other events going on in the area, but I don't get out much either. There's the always excellent Kings Island amusement park (however tickets are $32.99/person). There's also a few really nice movie theaters and some pretty high end laser tag arenas around town. I've got a decent sized backyard, and my family and I grill hot dogs and hamburgers back there all the time. I'm pretty sure there's a TGI Fridays (OCR meetup tradition) around here somewhere too. I've got a big TV on which we could play some Smash Bros/other games on as well. If anyone wants to bring Rock Band or something, that could be pretty fun, or we could even bring real instruments and jam (I've got a few guitars and a baby grand piano sitting in my living room).

I don't know if/how many people I can board up for the night at my place. I'll have to get with the parents on that. However, there are many, many hotels around the area all of varying price, so if we need to work something out, it should be pretty easy.

As far as transportation around town goes, it would probably be best if everyone parked their car wherever they're staying and carpool. I can fit 4 others in my car, and I know how to get to most of the places I mentioned. That way, if we wind up caravaning it up, people can follow me.

Other fun things to do in Cincinnati include the Cincinnati Zoo (good penguin exhibit, otters and aquarium!), attending a Cincinnati Reds baseball game, and there's a nice museum as well (but I forget the name).

P.S. I am still a maybe. I won't know one way or the other until that week. Sorry!

My grandmother is in critical condition in an out-of-town hospital right now, so I won't be able to attend the concert this month. We're not sure if she'll pull through or not. In either case, I can't really justify making a trip to Cincinnati for a concert right now. Sorry, I can't make it, but have fun anyway, guys.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, there really haven't been a whole lot of definite attendees, so the likelihood of official meetup actually happening is slim. If you still wanna come hang out, I'd be more than happy to meet with you, but unless activity in this thread suddenly picks up, I'm going to call it quits on the meetup planning.