OCR00231 - Doom "Doomed"

m68030

I'm surprised I haven't commented on this one.

But for christs sake, if you haven't listened to this yet there's something wrong with you or you're terminally ill and can't reach the computer.

This remix is beautiful, that's all really. The distortion is perfect.

Without a doubt this is my favourite mix on this site and has been since I first came here.

• 4 weeks later...

This is really one of my absolute favorites on this site. If I had to pick a top 5, this would be on it. Doesnt sound like it was too hard to make, or even that too much effort was put into it. Hell, its probably a direct rip + drumloop. Nevertheless, its simply one of those songs that hits me right on that spot. Excellent. Excellent.

I dunno if you're being sarcastic, Prot. I can't tell with you.

Most of this piece sounds original to me. Still in my Top 1.

I just listened to the original. I find it very confusing how this is such a great reimagination of the original and NOT a rip AT ALL, and yet Rimco's other songs made later in time are direct rips. Confusing. Wait, actually Yie Ar Kung Fu was made before this. Whatever.

Nevertheless, I now consider this remix justified and awesome. GJGJJGJGJGJGJ

• 2 months later...

Well, it looks like there's been a lot of interesting discussion since I was here last. I'm sorry but I still can't tell if you are being sarcastic Protrocity, but that's an issue with my extended time away from the forums as opposed to the post. Nonetheless, if you have time to clarify, I would appreciate it.

Take care all.

• 4 months later...

Wow. Just found this one off ormgas, and am quite impressed. Most of the first few hundred OCR tracks are mediocre at best, but not this one. The intro is moderately repetitive, but then just as I was about to gripe about that, more complexity is added. And I feel like that pause at the beginning was extended slightly more than was comfortable, but I really don't have much to complain about.

Nice feel, pretty nice implementation. I just 5'd you.

• 4 months later...

This being my very first post on OCR, I'll try to make this good.

This is certainly one of the top 20 on my playlist. This particular mix seems almost too powerful. Just the way the melody builds up to that main part, then holds you was enough to get a strong emotional reaction out of me.

Even though I've played the game and at the time would stop shooting long enough to enjoy the song, this piece gives me a bit of a different feeling....

I guess if I had a lover who had passed away like an hour or two ago, this song would probably sum up the feeling of loss very well. THAT's probably the emotion that I mentioned earlier might be. I'm still debating whether this would be appropriate to play at a funeral, despite it's origin.

At any rate, I love this song ... However, there is a down side to my personal review.

I love the song, but the one thing that brings this song down in my opinion is the sample quality. This song makes no attempt to hide the low quality of the samples used. As an avid listener of the old types of mod songs (mod, s3m, xm, it, etc.), this sounds like it was tracked using ScreamTracker or the like. The only samples that don't sound like they're 8-bit are the drums, though that's not too hard to accomplish even for 8-bits.

If this song were rebuilt using higher quality samples, that would just make my day. I'll admit that the first thought that ran through my mind when I first started listening to this song was; "Damn, was this converted from a mod? If this wasn't an mp3, I could play this with no problem on my pettily little laptop."

In the case of mods, CPU power is what makes or breaks mod songs, and my laptop is an old Pent. 166, so I was quite annoyed with this song at first. But I'm over that now.

And thus ends my post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all, this is my first posting to the site as well.

This remix is one of my all-time favorites (of the 228 I've downloaded so far, and counting). I'm not a remixer myself so I can't comment on the details of music quality, but all I know is that it evokes a somber , sad, gripping, pleading mood.

I get the visual of the Doom Marine making his final stand against the demons and Barons of Hell in E1L8. Guns blazing, gore splattering, and then the deathblow. The anguished scream as the marine succumbs to the horde... and then a profound sorrow as our hero is devoured. It is the funeral dirge for the Doom Marine.

There are many awesome tunes on this site, and this is at the top of my list.

Please create more, Rimco -- this song kicks ass.

- amosender

• 1 year later...

Man, I LITERALLY just CRIED while listening to this remix. Not balled or anything, mind you, but my eyes did well up and I shed a tear or two. It gets to me every time but just now was the first time I've actually responded that emotionally to it. It just gives me such a sense of hopelessness and...well, DOOM. Yet, somehow it lets me know that there is a small light at the end of the tunnel...this song is absolutely amazing, Rimco. Thanks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Welp... Guess I'll be the freak with the eerie review to completely throw things off.

Before I go on I must add that I have indeed heard the original and found that to be quite creepy. Despite this, I actually get two different sensations from this song. When I connect the song to Doom, I can feel heartache and a sadness like no other. To the point of tears. Something, or someone, has or will die and it will be a horrid death filled with unimaginable pain.

But when I listen to it as a song apart from the source, I feel a build up of romance. Almost like a forbidden love that must be kept in quiet shadow. It gives me chills and makes me sigh so very deeply, most especially towards the very end. I have chosen to go with this sensation... probably just because I'm a bit of a romantic.

Either way, the song is magnificent and I think it stands quite well against the test of time. I fell for this song years ago and just came back to it. It hasn't lost it's power over me even for a second.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is the reason I even signed up. This song is haunting. I usually don't listen to remixes except for doom remixes, and unlike the metal ones, this is carefully thought out. It's hauntingly beautiful. I sincerely hope Rimco does some more doom remixes. My favorite part is 3:23 afterwards

• 1 month later...

This has to be one of my favourites, definately of the earlier OCR period. It was this mix that really exploded the wall between videogame music and music that I would regularly listen to. It also was the first that exposed just what can be lurking in the strangest places. Doom for me was just a dark, gritty game that I played through once and never thought of much, and when I learnt that something so beautiful could be extracted from that, my perception on music in general opened up tenfold.

Rimco interpreted the melody flawlessly. It contains everything the original does, but seamlessly includes some truly stunning moments that Bobby Prince himself would be jealous of, in a "Why didn't I think of that!?" sort of way.

If OCR could be summed up in a mix, this would be my pick. It's simple and complex at the same time, beautiful and macabre, and just plain awesome. I'm gushing now so I'll stop, but I really loved the mix and I'm glad others agree.

This remix saps my will to live.

EDIT: I meant (and mean) that in full seriousness. A complete transformation of one's emotional state upon listening is the highest compliment I can imagine giving a piece of music. This remix does exactly that. Thank you, Mr Craig.

• 1 month later...

The iconic source and this ReMix tell me the same message but in different ways:

Source - "You will die in this decrepit place. Nothing you do will alter that fact. The demons here don't like your company, and they'll slaughter you if you so much as cry." (harsh and blunt)

ReMix - "You fought hard, dear Space Marine, and in the end it just wasn't enough. Now lay down your arms and your spirit, and find inner peace. You will join your fallen comrades on the other side." (gentle and forgiving)

This mix is so much easier to listen to, is what I'm saying. It hits the right tones softly but firmly.

• 6 months later...

Right off the bat, you have an excellent cinematic style going on. The chord progression and your choice musical textures creates a great vide. The drive of the piece is similar to your first piece (or at least the first part of the mix is) in the since that the synths carry the rhythm. The small sounding drums that come in are fantastic! This really does remind me of the aquatic ambience from DKC. That in itself is a feat in and of itself since this comes from Doom. The soundscape is just as lush as your first track was. Excellent work all around.

• 1 month later...

This song is still great. The sounds are dark and unique but pleasant at the same time. The arrangement is very subtle. The beginning is one of the most emotive things I've heard on this site. When the lead just climbs upwards and then everything stops for a few seconds at :30 it's just picture perfect. I was a weird kid and played DOOM to death, and I think this mix does an excellent job of conjuring up the hopelessness of the game and that level (e1l8 ) in particular.

The only thing I never liked as much is the backing synth that comes in around 1:59. I think it's kind of a generic backing and more could have been done with it. That part used to really bug me, but these days it doesn't too much anymore.

This is a wonderful mix that everyone should hear.

• 3 months later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR00231 - Doom "Doomed"
  • 1 year later...

No comments for 7 years! I've been a big fan of this track since first downloading it those many years ago.

The only qualm that I have is the sound quality. The high hats (sorry I'm not musically literate?) and other instruments that are high frequency get really muddy due to the compression. The track was released back when and bandwidth was treasured so I understand why the tracks needed to be compressed, but I would love for Rimco, wherever he is over a decade later, to re publish this track in 320 kbps format.

I can dream.

On 31-7-2017 at 10:26 AM, dfcentre said:

No comments for 7 years! I've been a big fan of this track since first downloading it those many years ago.

The only qualm that I have is the sound quality. The high hats (sorry I'm not musically literate?) and other instruments that are high frequency get really muddy due to the compression. The track was released back when and bandwidth was treasured so I understand why the tracks needed to be compressed, but I would love for Rimco, wherever he is over a decade later, to re publish this track in 320 kbps format.

I can dream.

As this song is still one of my favorite tracks of all time, I recently was listening to it on youtube and found that Richard Craig himself posted a link to his google page which contains a high quality WMA download link of this exact song (I thought high quality and WMA was a contradiction in terminis, but apparantly I'm mistaken):

https://sites.google.com/site/rchrdcrg/doomed

Coincidentally, I decided to once again read up on the raving comments of this song on this website, which this song completely and utterly deserves, and found your comment, which I just had to reply to.