Ohio teen who killed over video game gets 23 years

Zup

Pathetic excuse, in my opinion. What, did he think that his mother was an alien (like the enemies in Halo 3), and decided to shoot her?

Are people seriously going to blame video games on the death of someone? No, it's the fact that the parents didn't take the possibility of addiction seriously that got the mother killed.

It's still sad, though.

...it's the fact that the parents didn't take the possibility of addiction seriously that got the mother killed.

I agree... but can't I also make the argument that the fact that death is so often portrayed in video games that this isn't too surprising?

I don't know anything about this person's mental background, though. Prior to playing such video games, what was he like? Did the violence found in the game he was addicted to cause him to become a more violent person? (I am not too sure on the whole "death isn't real" idea - I think it's possible that a person can feel this way, especially if they themselves have never experienced death, but I doubt at the age of 17 this would be the case; I could maybe argue that, mentally, he was not developing normally as a regular adolescent would due to his obsession with a video game with such a degree of violence involved in its gameplay)..

Why aren't there (more and/or widespread) longterm studies being done on the affects of video games on people of all ages? Is it just not of interest to society, is it too expensive, would it be too difficult, are there ethical issues involved?

I do feel sorry for the mother and father, and the family. I imagine they tried to respond to a growing problem in hopes of remedying it, but when you're dealing with addiction, you're dealing with fire, and you have to be careful not to let it burn you or the addict who dangerously plays with it.

I hate reports like this. My God. How asinine. How idiotic do you have to be to believe that "death isn't real"?

Idiotic isn't the term you want to use. How OBSESSIVE do you have to be... etc. etc. is much more accurate for now.

Obsession can corrode basic sensibility to insane dimensions of rot. Look up OCD. In this case, I'd say this person is mentally ill and in less control of what he thinks and feels is accurate than the obsession is. You would shit yourself if you knew people were capable of during obsessive episodes.

And I disagree with blaming the parents who didn't "treat" the addiction. You don't just clear something like that that easily and you don't see how bad it the addiction really is unless you are the person who is addicted, and even then you can't fathom how deep it is/was until someone dies. Yeah, they should've seen some warning signs, but no reasonable person assumes their child is going to shoot them for taking Halo 3 away.

What an insane and tragic story. Chalk one up to anti-video game activists it's cases like this that will turn the tides.

The thing I find interesting is that Halo 3 isn't that violent by comparison to what's out there. Yeah people are getting killed in it but the violence isn't that brutal compared to some of the other franchises. The game play is quite addictive though.

Why aren't there (more and/or widespread) longterm studies being done on the affects of video games on people of all ages? Is it just not of interest to society, is it too expensive, would it be too difficult, are there ethical issues involved?

The studies I've seen around have found that it's dependent on the person, in other words, video games aren't going to suddenly turn you into a killer that is mega out of touch with reality, unless you're already pretty screwed up and out of touch with reality in the first place.

Unfortunately most people you'll come across will expect the opposite. I've had to deal with a few psychology/sociology/child development classes that run the idea that video games are the ultimate evil for children (even games that are rated E) into the ground even though there isn't much out there saying for sure that they do or don't.

Really the only thing that seems to have some backing one way or another is video games (and tv, and an overactive busy environment in general) are not good for anyone under the age of 4 or so because it makes them have trouble focusing on things when they get older and stuff.

The studies I've seen around have found that it's dependent on the person, in other words, video games aren't going to suddenly turn you into a killer that is mega out of touch with reality, unless you're already pretty screwed up and out of touch with reality in the first place.

I don't think they can turn a person into a killer instantaneously, either. But what can they do?

Really the only thing that seems to have some backing one way or another is video games (and tv, and an overactive busy environment in general) are not good for anyone under the age of 4 or so because it makes them have trouble focusing on things when they get older and stuff.

This basically.

They already have psych problems in the first place. I find the idea that Halo per say pushed him to going on a killing spree incredulous. Rather his parents denying him something he wanted coupled with him knowing where I firearm was.

A previous employer of mine shared the idea that video games are evil and ruin little kids. I've always been around them and my little brothers play them tons. It really isn't a big deal unless they are getting in the way of things that the person needs to be doing. (i.e. studying, working, helping their family, etc.)

Violence in video games takes a back sit for detriment in comparison to how addictive a game is. MMORPGs would be pretty harmless if they could be played in moderation. Speaking from experience here. The problem is they can't be. They're too addictive and they end up taking over real life responsibilities.

(Playing a ton of video games) really isn't a big deal unless they are getting in the way of things that the person needs to be doing. (i.e. studying, working, helping their family, etc.)

Violence in video games takes a back sit for detriment in comparison to how addictive a game is. MMORPGs would be pretty harmless if they could be played in moderation. Speaking from experience here. The problem is they can't be. They're too addictive and they end up taking over real life responsibilities.

This should also be researched in greater depth, and stuff. I am personally interested in the effect of video games hollistically on a person. Not to say I don't want to see video games sold anymore, but it's something that a knowledge-seeking society ought to look into.

This should also be researched in greater depth, and stuff. I am personally interested in the effect of video games hollistically on a person. Not to say I don't want to see video games sold anymore, but it's something that a knowledge-seeking society ought to look into.

It's getting to be such a massive industry now what with dinosaur companies like Sony and Microsoft involved. I wouldn't be surprised if you see research like what you mentioned taking place in the near future.

It's getting to be such a massive industry now what with dinosaur companies like Sony and Microsoft involved. I wouldn't be surprised if you see research like what you mentioned taking place in the near future.

Where would this research take place? Even some universities get squelched by big corporations in contracts that prevent them publishing their findings if they don't support the corporation's financial endeavors.... not all the time of course.

Blah i'm just a pessimist all around about the matter, it seems.

He deserved life in prison. Blaming video games is ridiculous. That kid is evil, and there can be no excuse for his horrible crime. It's cases like this that make me wish juveniles could get the death penalty.

The kid's not evil. If he truly was "evil" he wouldn't be regretting every second what he did. And giving the death penalty to someone solves nothing and I don't think the mother would want to kill her son for killing her.

He needs help along with many other people in the world with aggression and addiction like other posters have said.

We always talk about how games negatively impact on people, but what about the good sides? I recall my uni lecturer saying some people suggest that games have a narcissistic effect on people (in the case of violent games). As an example of media narcissism, they compared stats between america and japan regarding "adult" media. Japan has a much higher level of portrayal of violent scenes and suchlike than america. Yet America's sexual crime rates compared to Japan are insane; Japan's is quite low, and America's is quite high.

I'm not pointing the finger at any country, or condoning any behaviours or suchlike, however, I am saying that evidence exists that these kinds of media can, and sometimes do have a narcissitic effect.

We always talk about how games negatively impact on people, but what about the good sides? I recall my uni lecturer saying some people suggest that games have a narcissistic effect on people (in the case of violent games). As an example of media narcissism, they compared stats between america and japan regarding "adult" media. Japan has a much higher level of portrayal of violent scenes and suchlike than america. Yet America's sexual crime rates compared to Japan are insane; Japan's is quite low, and America's is quite high.

I'm not pointing the finger at any country, or condoning any behaviours or suchlike, however, I am saying that evidence exists that these kinds of media can, and sometimes do have a narcissitic effect.

The article Meteo linked in that Japan post says that now many of Japan's men are considered herbivores and have no interest in sex to begin with... it's not just a matter of sexual crimes. There are problems in having many men of a society not wishing to reproduce. Though, if it's somewhat genetic thing and not solely influenced by the nurturing environment, this would only be a temporary - since few of the herbivores will reproduce, they won't pass down their genes to the next generation, and the next generations should be filled with consumerism-driven, sex-obsessed and testosterone-powered carnivores.

Oh... and if you want to talk about video game benefits... just start with the basic and obvious: playing games can be fun, entertaining, can help you calm down/chill out, etc., depending on the game.

The kid's not evil. If he truly was "evil" he wouldn't be regretting every second what he did. And giving the death penalty to someone solves nothing and I don't think the mother would want to kill her son for killing her.

He needs help along with many other people in the world with aggression and addiction like other posters have said.

I'll concede that he may not be evil, but your evidence is not at all conclusive. His alleged regret may, in fact, be genuine, but a good defense attorney can coach someone into demonstrating the proper characteristics to convince people that his or her client is remorseful. I've seen it frequently in the course of my work within the court system.

I'm not saying you're wrong; we just have two different theories about how the criminal justice system should work, at least in this case. You say rehabilitation, I say retribution/incapacitation, and both are perfectly legitimate. If he has some biological predisposition to aggression, then maybe I'd even be willing to accept a rehabilitation theory.