Ohio teen who killed over video game gets 23 years

Zup

I think people were a lot more violent before video games.

You should probably substantiate that a little with a broader comment. As it stands it just looks like you're a fanatic on the opposite scale, "Video games are like a good multivitamin, if you don't play you're worse off!"

Persons have always been violent.

Someone should argue that video games are sensitizing us. : D

To what? The real thing? Fat fucking chance. I don't care how much gore you see or enact in a video game it doesn't prepare you for war.

Or do you mean something else? I don't say that to belittle. I admit I would prefer someone release steam in a video game than going bat shit crazy and releasing it in real life.

*Sigh* It really is amazing what can drive people to do some pretty horrific things. *Shakes head*

I think people were a lot more violent before video games.

You bring up a pretty interesting point there Hideous. It's not more the case of that people were more violent before video games were made, but more that people even with or without videogames are always going to be violent, just like Flare said.

Someone should argue that video games are sensitizing us. : D

:? I don't think that's quite the case. Violence games as a whole generally desensitize it in some form or another, not the other way round. That's just watching it through a screen though, you see dismembering and blood flying around in real life, you'll most likely piss your pants, freeze up, or bolt out of there.

I'm not exactly saying videogames desensitize you completely either. Hell, when I used to play Dead Space, I felt the teensiest bit squeamish sometimes when hacking the limbs off necromorphs with the ripper.

... even if it was fun... <_<

FF4 went a long way towards teaching me to read.

And I've always been awesome at reading. Therefore FF4 is awesome.*

*other video games may also be awesome

I think that's why I love RPGs now: Ultima III was a big factor in my learning how to read and write.

I also have a lot of other things I could say about RPGs though, not nearly as bad as this 17 year old's Halo 3 experience I assume, but...

It's the separation from reality that makes us okay with watching the violence... because we know it isn't real.

See, it's weird. Games are violent. I can handle seeing various body parts, blood, and organs flying around. That said, turn on the medical tv channel and make me watch live surgery OR or a documentary on war where real gore is shown and that makes me really uncomfortable, and it only takes a little too. With these Iran demonstrations going on, they had a photo of a kid that was shot and bleeding and it was hard to look at for me without getting very uncomfortable. I don't think these desensitization to violence arguments are entirely applicable at times.

I've played violent games since I was a wee little kid, and I know some violence I'm desensitized to, and maybe I'm an exception or whatever, but some things I'm just uncomfortable with.

Hell, maybe its a psychological thing about being able to separate reality from fiction. *shrugs*