Fighters Destiny - Joker's Room

Jae

Game Title - Fighters Destiny (N64)

Song Title - Joker's Room

Remix Title - Who's Laughing Now

This is my very first serious attempt at using FL Studio to produce anything.

I first uploaded this for those in the IRC to review, and I also let one of my friends take a listen and give me some feedback. This is what I've added in since the first draft (which I will post for comparison if you'd like to hear it).

Adjusted Already

EQ'd the Piano

Added Strings

Added electronic beat ("unts")

Turned Piano down

Turned Bass down

Things I'd Like To Fix

#1. I would like a more realistic violin or viola soundfont (heard first at 1:30 and again throughout the song). The one I have now doesn't sound good unless it's played at an ear piercingly high pitch.

#2. I would also like to find a strings set that booms more between the guitar solos at the end. I'm in the process of finding both, but I'm having a tough time.

#3. Also, I still need to figure out how to fade the ending out so it doesn't stop so abruptly. That should be an easy fix.

A comment was given to me about there being too much guitar reverb. There really isn't that much reverb, but a second guitar is holding some notes out underneath the solo guitar. If I should change that, let me know.

Also, let me know if it's too repetitive, too quiet, too boring, too cliché, and especially if there is no potential in this song because other than what I know I need to fix, I'm at a wall. Any constructive comments are welcome and will be taken into account.

Here is the source.

And this should link you to the download page. If you stream it from the site, it gets really fuzzy. At least it does for me, so I would recommend downloading it. Hope it works.

ORIGINAL VERSION:

stats.png

UPDATED VERSION:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?matdzmy3wke

Thanks in advance for the feedback! :smile:

Awesome! Thanks, guys. :-)

I'm going to be off to the beach for a week, but when I come back, I'll definitely try out those soundfonts as long as sf2midi is kind to me. I've had trouble downloading from that site before.

j64h, I agree with the ending, and I'll experiment with some more "unts" variety. Glad you like how the track is shaping out. :-)

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the double post, but I figured I would let anyone who is interested know to check out the update.

I added some extra elements that I grabbed from the source since I don't believe there was enough in the first attempt. I also changed the middle section (the guitar solo) around more to match the source, so that should be okay now.

The ending booms more, and I'm pretty happy with it. I also added some extra percussion. It could be a little much, but I'm willing to pull it back some. I'm pretty happy with the beat and the battery instruments I used, but I could eventually change those too. Finally, the ending has been resolved by fading out.

Here is the link. This one streams great for me, so hopefully you won't have to go through the trouble of downloading it.

stats.png

The first post is updated too.

Hopefully it sounds better than the original. Thanks again for the feedback. :-)

Much improved over the first time I heard it. The levels on the piano are a lot better, and that new violin sound fits in with the rest of the instruments a lot more. I like the different textures you added in - the overall feel of this track is a lot better. I've run out of things to criticize from my end - very nice track.

Woah mad clipping/over compression here I think. The composition seems fine, but man there's a ton of bad distortion going on. Try reducing volumes of every single track and get familiar with EQing and stuff. Also, maybe reduce the gain of your compression and the ratio amounts. 'Cuz as is, it's sorta like over-kill. Otherwise, this is a pretty dang good track. Keep on 'wippin' it :D

Woah mad clipping/over compression here I think. The composition seems fine, but man there's a ton of bad distortion going on. Try reducing volumes of every single track and get familiar with EQing and stuff. Also, maybe reduce the gain of your compression and the ratio amounts. 'Cuz as is, it's sorta like over-kill. Otherwise, this is a pretty dang good track. Keep on 'wippin' it :D

So just go back into Fruity Loops and adjust the volume of each instrument? Yeah, I was thinking of doing something along those lines anyway. I just added some extra parts in a couple days ago, so they haven't been adjusted exactly how I would like them yet. I just wanted to post an update to show what I added. :-)

I'll check on the compression next time too. I'm still getting a feel for Fruity Loops. I don't really understand everything yet. For this update, I used Audacity to tweak some things, and I wonder if that messed the overall quality up.

How about panning? That's one thing I'm definitely not sure about. I don't know what determines what should play more on the left versus what should aim for the right. Obviously I haven't even attempted to do that yet.

Thanks for the feedback. :-)

Edit - I didn't realize how distorted the piano sounded in some areas. I see what you mean now. So far, though, that's all I've really picked up. Unfortunately, the piano takes up a large portion of the song, and it's definitely the most noticeable. I'll be working on that some more. I'm glad you said something! I completely overlooked it. I'll try to listen for more.

I've been playing around with the volume, but it's either too quiet or too loud (loud enough for the song to distort in some areas). I'm wondering if it's just how I'm saving it and if Audacity is playing a part. Do you have any idea how to fade out using FL Studio because I'd like to do that in there and see what happens.

I've been listening to some mixes to get an idea of what the quality should sound like, but if you go into Tindeck and turn the volume all the way up (the slider...not your speaker's volume knob), it gets extremely fuzzy whereas other songs in this WIP section do not. I tried saving the quality as 512-point sinc, but it sounds almost the same as it did when the quality was lower.

Hmm...still trying to figure this out. I won't post an update just yet since you'd basically be getting the same thing as before just with panning (which turned out well).

I've been playing around with the volume, but it's either too quiet or too loud (loud enough for the song to distort in some areas). I'm wondering if it's just how I'm saving it and if Audacity is playing a part. Do you have any idea how to fade out using FL Studio because I'd like to do that in there and see what happens.

I've been listening to some mixes to get an idea of what the quality should sound like, but if you go into Tindeck and turn the volume all the way up (the slider...not your speaker's volume knob), it gets extremely fuzzy whereas other songs in this WIP section do not. I tried saving the quality as 512-point sinc, but it sounds almost the same as it did when the quality was lower.

Hmm...still trying to figure this out. I won't post an update just yet since you'd basically be getting the same thing as before just with panning (which turned out well).

It COULD be your samples. Cuz some samples can be recorded poorly, so you may want to look on the net for some better soundfonts, or what have you.

Okay...yet another update. Click the MediaFire link in the first post (or here). I decided to upload it there because it didn't reduce the quality of the save.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jv3mu1tmwnm

Okay, now to what I've changed:

1. I reduced the volume of most of the song...slightly. The grand finale is loud though.

2. I didn't use Audacity at all. Oy. That was a mistake in the first place. I learned how to fade out using FL Studio. Automation is my friend.

3. There is some instrument panning to keep the mix balanced and to relieve some weight from the center.

4. From 1:22 - 1:50, the staccato strings were adjusted to match the time of the music. The slow attack made it sound like they were coming in half a beat late before.

5. Incorporated some EQ to distribute the sounds more evenly.

There should be no distortion, no fuzz, and no clicks (except from the guitar which are supposed to be there).

This has really helped me out!

• 2 weeks later...