OCR01859 - Final Fantasy IX "The Rose General"

djpretzel

If OCReMix gave a type of Grammy every year, you'd have the category for best female vocalist hands down IMO. This is the single greatest vocal ReMix on this site TO DATE. I am absolutely in love with it (it also helps that FFIX is one of my favorites). I proceeded over to YouTube and subscribed - you are definitely amazing and I can't wait to hear more from you.

....Shades of the Remix Kee and Pixie did come flooding back. I can not help but cry as i listen to this. Kee was lost to us not all that long ago and there isn't a day i do not wonder what music he would have created. I don't know if you guys felt anything weird as this was being done... But i can only believe that he was watching and guiding your hand.

This is not only a beautiful song. But to hold so true to the woman this song is about was a truly rare thing.

I would pay for many of the remixes on this site. This one you can not put a dollar value on. Thank you Kate...

When i first joined OCR back in 2002, i told myself i would not download any remixes with lyrics. I wanted pure instrumental pieces to listen too. It took me a bit to finally change. Destiny and pixietricks helped to show how remixes can be amazing with vocals. It was a lesson that i was happy to learn as i would not have given this piece a fair chance.

Amazing voice, i love how you made it fit with the song and also how it sounds very original. Reminds me of Blackmore's Night!

This piece is simply amazing. I'm not normally at a loss for words, but in this instance, your vocals have robbed me of my wits. Bravo on such a moving piece.

If I may make a suggestion for a later arrangement, I would love to hear a moving rendition of 'You're not Alone!'

Final Fantasy IX is my favorite of the series, and its musical arrangements invoke such an emotional upwelling within me. You've already made one of my favorite arrangements into a masterpiece. If you do decide to make lightning strike twice, I do hope you decide to take me up on my suggestion.

Keep up your wonderful work!

-Kiz

If I may make a suggestion for a later arrangement, I would love to hear a moving rendition of 'You're not Alone!'

direct download: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mwewllkhzyy

But more to the point, regarding this specific mix at hand... after further listening, I must say, the percussions used, and their "sequencing" are spot-on and carry/contribute energy and emotion... i love the tambourine. a lot.

I think what I liked most about this mix was the fact that it took a relatively easy to forget track from the OST and turned it into something really special. I'm definitely inspired to check out the rest of your work, and it sure was nice to see FFIX on the front page, I wouldn't say it's entirely underrepresented, but it needed some love and it certainly got some with this mix!

Lyrically, I also liked the continued reference to the "Roses of May," I'll probably have to listen a few more times before I fully understand what the lyrics are getting at, but at least they sound great in the meantime. I don't think it would be pushing it to say this track is right on par with IX's ending vocal track, Melodies of Life, which just so happens to be one of my favorites. The fact that the music and the lyrics were all done by one person is certainly impressive to me as well.

Compared to the way everyone else is responding I almost feel like I should say more but hey, I liked it, and I hope that's what counts. Normally I say keep up the good work, but you've already done that, maybe some of your other mixes would look good on the front page? Time to go check them out!

Happy to see you followed my advice and submitted your song here =D

Well, not sure if I was the only one giving you the advice and don't know who's advice you actually followed, but I sure am glad you posted it here.

I've been a subscriber to Kate's video's for a while now on youtube. I suggest everyone else who likes takes a look at what she has to offer as well. =)

http://www.youtube.com/user/katethegreat19

If I had to name one gripe about this song, it would be the use of repetitive words. Like saying "in rivers, in rivers" I'm not a fan of that technique. And then you used it twice in the same sentence.

"won't wash away, wash away

Nowhere to run from what I have done

I'm no longer, no longer"

Ok, so that's the only thing I didn't care about in this song. It's being nit picky, but that's my critique.

But what I find absolutely amazing about your take on writing lyrics is that you pay attention to when the song is playing and describe the emotion at that time. Take for example, the song 'Summoner's Love' . It's a great song, but it doesn't stay true to the time when it was played. However, you took a song that played during Beatrix's inner-struggle and molded your lyrics around her to fit with the scene rather than a broad overview of the game's theme.

Thank you for coming over here and gracing us with you talent. Here's to hoping you drop by again.

This piece is simply amazing. I'm not normally at a loss for words, but in this instance, your vocals have robbed me of my wits. Bravo on such a moving piece.

I completely agree. I normally hate pieces with vocals - I much prefer to hear the instruments - but this definitely ranks up at the top of my list of favorite remixes of all. And I, too, would love to hear a rendition of "You're Not Alone!" which is my favorite piece of video game music of all time.

I'm glad to see a Final Fantasy IX remix, too - I think the music in the game is very underrated, and that a lot of the "less important" songs are very good, and would have high remix potential.

No doubt this is a gorgeous song. Your voice is refreshing, and the small controlled cracks (not sure what the proper term is, so I apologize) are excellent throughout the song. It was as if you were softly chanting. No pun intended, but it fit well for such an enchanting arrangement.

One thing that I see as a problem for certain songs with lyrics is that the voices are sometimes drowned by the music in the background. This was not the case. Your voice was crystal clear, and I understood the lyrics from front to back while still really feeling the background support from the harp and other instruments used. Speaking of the lyrics, they were really haunting and made so much sense. Just an all around excellent job. It was all very human, very natural, and very real. Keep up the good work, Kate! ^.^

I really enjoyed listening to this song, and have enjoyed listening to it at least once a day since it was posted. I am a sucker for a good vocal mix, and this is a GREAT vocal mix, so all the better! The thoughtfulness about the character of Beatrix really brings the mix home.

Maybe you have some more awesome vocal mixes lined up for us? *wink* :)

I guess nobody reads the write-ups :D OR maybe i'm dense and I didn't properly interpret the wink :/ anyway, in case someone isn't aware of her other vocal works...

click here - all the vocal covers she has done... on youtube.

You didnt. There is a huge difference between a Youtube job and an OCR submission. OCR demands an exceptionally high level from its remixers. Those asking for more are asking for this level of Remix. A tall order but one i would love to see happen.

I would love to hear her and pixie hook up for a song. Maybe a variant on FF8's opening?

The Final Fantasy games have always toted such a beautiful array of musical arrangements throughout the years (yes, I'm including the 8-bit wonders of NES as well ;-) ). That being said, I must point out that Final Fantasy IX is my favorite of the series to date. I'm sure I've stated that before, but it must be said again. That game is full of tracks that many overlook. I cannot say, however, that is complete folly. The shear number of remixes of 'Loss of Me,' 'You're not alone,' and 'Hunter's chance' are staggering. Yes, those tracks are quite popular in the video game community. But, beyond being fan favorites (all alliteration aside), they possess a more complex arrangement than most of the other tracks. They bring out the emotions associated with those integral parts of the story within the game. They also seem to have more depth to them. By that I mean that they do not simply repeat themselves. The bring themselves to mini-crescendos one could say. They aren't some vanilla background music repeating itself while a player is making his way to the next big part in the game. Such examples of those 'vanilla' background arrangements include 'Castle Pandemonium,' 'Daguerro,' or 'Bran Bul" just to name a few. While they make for great ambience, they do not exactly fit the bill for a great remix.

Now, to make this relevant to Kate's great rendition of 'Loss of Me.' What Kate has indeed done is taken one of the those fan favorites and not only remixed the arrangement, but she has also incorporated lyrics all the while keeping the emotion of the song intact. Many remixes tend to lose sight of the emotion incorporated within the track. Kate also hit a home-run so to speak with her mix of 'You're not Alone.'

There is quite a fair number of tracks left within Final Fantasy IX for Kate to pick from. Some may be fan favorites, but there are a few untapped resources that have yet to make a splash onto the main-mix-stream. Some examples of these tracks that provide adequate emotion and depth are (in no particular order): 'The Place I Shall Return to Someday,' 'Unfathomed Reminiscence,' 'The Song of Memory,' and 'Jesters of the Moon' just to name a few. I know that there are remixes of some of these already, but let me assure you that I've heard quite a number of them and they all seem to be lacking the same emotion and depth they had before they became remixed.

So, perhaps I'm pleading with Kate to consider making her own renditions of those tracks. Or perhaps I'm just a tremendous airbag. Either way, I do hope to hear more from you, Kate, in the future. Keep up your phenominal work!

-Kiz

PS: I like the repetitions within the verses and chorus. It helps drive the emotion home, and it is used tastefully as opposed to being utilized as a mere place holder for softer lyrics.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01859 - Final Fantasy IX "The Rose General"