Rain Dancing At The Spirit Temple- Serenade of Water ReMix

Hey, look at some of the songs that get accepted... I don't think any of those names (or even the weird suggestion of mine) would get rejected, if the music was good enough :).

It is now, bizatch - it needs to be included in all lists of genres.

That's a philosophy that I used to hold, as well... the big problem with it, though, is that if you don't catch some things early, it becomes hell to fix them later.

The replacement of the sax was a good call - I didn't listen to it last time, but I did now. I think the sax could have worked still, but the change wasn't a bad call, at all. Now your music doesn't sound like jazz at all... it sounds like pure, unadulterated Neblixsa.

Yeah, I agree with you on a lot of what you said, Rozo - although I'm terrible when it comes to the shrillness of notes (you noticed that in my own music often enough, lol). The bass is pretty quiet (I personally don't mind how high it is, per se - as long as it's recognizable as a bass) - I'd bring that out a little bit more. Rozo is absolutely right about the drums, though - they sound great, but they have no punch. Keep them down, like you have them, but bring out some of the mid-lower frequencies more.

Compared to before, though, the performance sounds a lot better (I can tell you spent a lot of time with the velocities). There are some cases where more work is needed (like the keyboard at 1:05 - it still is a bit 'mechanical', although the attacks are nice). A rule of thumb - if the volume of an instrument is the exact same from one place to another immediately next to it, then it'll sound mechanical. Varying the sound even by a little bit from note to note will improve the performance dramatically 8).

If you could bring up the volume overall (without clipping, of course), that would be great, and bringing out the melodies would help the music, too. It's not terrible, what you've got now - but it does sound like ambient music, at the moment, as you use the melodies as the textures of the song (which is cool, by the way), so it's difficult to tell what you want the melody of your song to be. If you didn't want a melody for the listener to stick to, then you've done an outstanding job (actually, I don't mind the lack of melody, as long as that was what you wanted - but I doubt it).

Oh, and I like the length of it better, now - that's a perfectly acceptable length for OCR.

YES! Almost OCR Material!!!

Am I like the youngest to get a remix posted up here? (Another question: Am I the youngest remixer here?!")

I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND IT. I looked at EVERY SINGLE NOTE VELOCITY. No single ones are the same!!! I can't hear why it sounds mechanical (maybe it's just my ears) Gario if you have FruityLoops can you help me with the velocities? I don't see how asking you to help me fix my PRODUCTION makes it a remix by committee so I suppose it's okay if you do. (It's just a velocity problem, it's not like you're changing the arrangement or notes or anything)

But listen to my new version beforehand if you decide to help me, because I think I just fixed the problem.

And thanks, but I'll still stick with that philosophy.

See, the way I work is like a farmer with a fruit cart going up a mountain.

I simply speed up the mountain (get my arrangement solid) then I go back to get the watermelons that dropped (the big mistakes like wrong notes or bad harmony) then the pineapples (the smaller mistakes) and then I simply go from bottom to top, picking up one specific fruit (working on one particular type of mistake) that gets smaller and smaller respectively. Then when I'm done, I wash the fruits (make sure my production and velocities are good).

As for the name... I'll stick with Slippery Spirits for now and then my final submission will be called "Rain Dancing at The Spirit Temple"

As for the melody... the song isn't "The Serenade of Water" and "Requiem of Spirit"...

It's Rain Dancing at The Spirit Temple.

The first two measures of the opening IS the melody.

What you witness in the other parts of the song is a different approach to that single melody.

First you hear the " Serenade" part of the melody then the feel changes to the "Requiem" part of the melody... next you hear the actual melody in it's most basic form, with the "Requiem" part repeating with adding instruments until a harmony transition into the main melody repeated over fading away with their respective drumlines basslines and counter melodies.

Don't think of it as two songs, think of it as one song in which its halves of the melody each have their own approach. They then combine into the opening pattern once more, with the slow drums flowing in. They repeat and the drums, content with their new pattern, quicken their pace and the Serenade's counter melody kicks in (the little bell going up and down from D through D hitting all the naturals). They all are happy with each other to the point (at 2:48 ) where they show each other their true halves and then they seem like two different songs mixing with each other.

To me, Music is like a story of sound.

"If you could bring up the volume overall (without clipping, of course), that would be great, and bringing out the melodies would help the music, too."

... In the words of Luke Skywalker "You want the impossible..."

The master volume of my mix is 50% anything higher clips a lot. If you really have that much of a problem with the master volume just turn up your speakers.

Considering that I've checked all my velocities (it does not sound mechanical) and my arrangement is pretty solid (IMO) I'm considering submitting it to OCR soon (soon as in within this and next week)

I don't have FL studio, so I can't help you with specifics - use your ears, and if the dynamics sound the same then change them up until they don't. To my ears, some of them still sound the same, so I still say some of it is still a bit mechanical.

Sometimes looking at the numbers and the program doesn't help - your ears will probably be the most helpful tool you have, at this point. Oh, and don't be hasty - you aren't accepted at OCR yet... but if you are soon I'm pretty sure you'll be the youngest accepted remixer here :).

I don't have FL studio, so I can't help you with specifics - use your ears, and if the dynamics sound the same then change them up until they don't. To my ears, some of them still sound the same, so I still say some of it is still a bit mechanical.

Sometimes looking at the numbers and the program doesn't help - your ears will probably be the most helpful tool you have, at this point. Oh, and don't be hasty - you aren't accepted at OCR yet... but if you are soon I'm pretty sure you'll be the youngest accepted remixer here :).

"If"? You mean when. XD

Gario, it sounded fine to me when Rozo said it was mechanical. I can't really tell the difference unless there's a drastic difference. I use FL which uses thin bars for velocity instead of numbers. So if you looked in the program you wouldn't see exact numbers (if I could use numbers that would be SO much easier) but instead I have to attend to each little bar for every little note down to the 32nd (I use 32nd notes to give my harp a plucky sound, a little trick I learned from Darkesword)

UPDATE: Is that what you mean by more punch? (I made the drums a little louder and varied the frequencies a bit more)

I thought it was fine before, in fact with a song with a high piano in the lead it would be unbalanced with too much attention on the drums and not enough on the lead.

UPDATE 3:

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/R...iritTemple.mp3

I made some edits on my sounds to make em sound less dry. And I gave them more variety in octaves (a very low harp, a low bass, a very high Sine wave, and a medium/high Piano).

Intro is pretty mechanical, bass is pretty high (it's called bass for a reason), drums are nicely written tho they could use some more EQ to bring out the punch (50-200Hz somewhere).

The intro instruments have some shrill frequencies, see if you can figure out which ones those are and EQ them down a bit. Might have to change the synth/sampler filter to do it for all notes, depending on what's actually causing it.

You're not gonna like what I have to say, but I now hear _more_ problems. Then again, it means you've cleaned it up enough for me to hear those things. :D

The five first notes are fine, but when you have more of them it sounds mechanical. Tap on the desk as if playing, try to figure out which ones you should make louder, which ones you should make softer.

Bass is weird, sounds like you have two basses sometimes. And it's still not low enough imo. Drop it an octave, at least for part of the track. I think you did that for part of it, but you migh want to use a different bass or EQ it.

I can hear compression on the lead. That's not good. You need it to be clear, but not that loud. Drop it a few dB, give it a few dB of boost in the high range instead.

Drums are pretty cool, but it seems like they're missing something. Dropping the bass an octave might help with that, but if not, you could also use a kick regularly to keep the beat a little more clear. Doesn't have to be a very elaborate beat. If you're familiar with Orn, the unofficial metroid remake, it's theme track had a single kick at the start of every... measure. I think. I keep confusing those terms. You could do something like that if lowering the bass isn't enough. Not for the entire track, but for parts of it, the parts with a lot of other drums.

As for cclutter, I think dropping the bass an octave and making the rhythm more clear (see the kick drum suggestion) should clean it up enough. As for the all mids issue, I kind'a agree. I'd EQ it, give the leads more highs. Seems to me like all the frequencies are tehre, just not in the right balance. EQ should do it. As for it being dry... not anymore. Some of the instruments perhaps, and only when they jump at you when the others are quiet. On the whole, I don't have a problem with that.

Doing good, neblix. Heading the right direction.

You're not gonna like what I have to say, but I now hear _more_ problems. Then again, it means you've cleaned it up enough for me to hear those things. :D

The five first notes are fine, but when you have more of them it sounds mechanical. Tap on the desk as if playing, try to figure out which ones you should make louder, which ones you should make softer.

Bass is weird, sounds like you have two basses sometimes. And it's still not low enough imo. Drop it an octave, at least for part of the track. I think you did that for part of it, but you migh want to use a different bass or EQ it.

I can hear compression on the lead. That's not good. You need it to be clear, but not that loud. Drop it a few dB, give it a few dB of boost in the high range instead.

Drums are pretty cool, but it seems like they're missing something. Dropping the bass an octave might help with that, but if not, you could also use a kick regularly to keep the beat a little more clear. Doesn't have to be a very elaborate beat. If you're familiar with Orn, the unofficial metroid remake, it's theme track had a single kick at the start of every... measure. I think. I keep confusing those terms. You could do something like that if lowering the bass isn't enough. Not for the entire track, but for parts of it, the parts with a lot of other drums.

As for cclutter, I think dropping the bass an octave and making the rhythm more clear (see the kick drum suggestion) should clean it up enough. As for the all mids issue, I kind'a agree. I'd EQ it, give the leads more highs. Seems to me like all the frequencies are tehre, just not in the right balance. EQ should do it. As for it being dry... not anymore. Some of the instruments perhaps, and only when they jump at you when the others are quiet. On the whole, I don't have a problem with that.

Doing good, neblix. Heading the right direction.

You're right, I don't like it.

How can I EQ something if I don't know how?

You're treating me like I know how to do everything. Dx I'm flattered but you need to explain more because I never learned this stuff. I started out in FruityLoops with almost zero knowledge of how to make stuff. Shariq told me how to choose an instrument, how to write patterns, how to add delay and reverb and the basics of making a song... but he never mentioned all this EQ'ing and all this other complicated stuff.

And the mechanical stuff... I don't understand how I can fix a problem that seems fixed (I looked at my velocities over and over they should have significant difference to not sound mechanical to you.)

As for the bass I just fixed the problem.

Compression on the lead? Dunno what you're talking about, it's got Reverb and that's all it has.

See I don't have a good ear for this stuff like you do... This isn't my first remix, but it is the first where I've been trying to learn very hard.

See my problem isn't arrangement, it's production.

I suck at production, that's just my weakspot. See if this updated version still has some of those problems.

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/RainDancingAtTheSpiritTemple.mp3

Some things you can't be told, you gotta figure them out yourself... especially when it's your mix and you can easily experiment with EQ on it, which the rest of us can't. It usually helps if you play with the EQ settings according to some philosophy (like "give every track a boost somewhere", "don't let loud frequencies overlap", "only give leads and hats highs", "cut all frequencies except each tracks' central ones" or something), listen to what works best. Do something, take a backup, re-EQ everything according to another philosophy, compare. Ask Google. :D

You could just make a different test track to play with EQ and figure out which approach and eq philosophy works best for you and gets you the results you want. it also helps to train your ears. Pick some well mixed tracks in the same or a similar style to compare with, such as fairly recent ocremixes. Find one ith a sound you like, and figure out what makes it sound better (or what doesn't).

As for compression, it's that your leads is so loud that they push the master compression. When it's noticeable, it's too much. I noticed it.

Some things you can't be told, you gotta figure them out yourself... especially when it's your mix and you can easily experiment with EQ on it, which the rest of us can't. It usually helps if you play with the EQ settings according to some philosophy (like "give every track a boost somewhere", "don't let loud frequencies overlap", "only give leads and hats highs", "cut all frequencies except each tracks' central ones" or something), listen to what works best. Do something, take a backup, re-EQ everything according to another philosophy, compare. Ask Google. :D

You could just make a different test track to play with EQ and figure out which approach and eq philosophy works best for you and gets you the results you want. it also helps to train your ears. Pick some well mixed tracks in the same or a similar style to compare with, such as fairly recent ocremixes. Find one ith a sound you like, and figure out what makes it sound better (or what doesn't).

As for compression, it's that your leads is so loud that they push the master compression. When it's noticeable, it's too much. I noticed it.

DX Didn't I just say I don't know how to EQ? How can I experiment with something I don't know how to do?

Can you raise highs? Can you drop highs? Can you do it with other frequencies? Then you can EQ. Figuring out HOW to eq is the next step, and that's when you gotta do research and experiment. Figure out how to make it sound better. We'll tell you when you do it wrong. :D

My general advice about EQ would be to use it to give every track its own space, and bring out the important parts of the tracks that need to be heard well.

Can you raise highs? Can you drop highs? Can you do it with other frequencies? Then you can EQ. Figuring out HOW to eq is the next step, and that's when you gotta do research and experiment. Figure out how to make it sound better. We'll tell you when you do it wrong. :D

My general advice about EQ would be to use it to give every track its own space, and bring out the important parts of the tracks that need to be heard well.

???

Do you mean like make highs louder or softer?

And I compose in patterns I'm not sure if those are the same things as tracks.

Yes, raising highs means making highs louder. You should just make a random track with a pad or white noise or something, and just play with the eq effects, see what they do. Playing with it is definitely the best way to learn if you really don't know how to EQ. Just take a backup if you're gonna be screwing with the remix. ;)

Patterns are more analogous to loops than tracks. In a pattern, you still have several tracks of different synths and samples and audio files, etc..

Yes, raising highs means making highs louder. You should just make a random track with a pad or white noise or something, and just play with the eq effects, see what they do. Playing with it is definitely the best way to learn if you really don't know how to EQ. Just take a backup if you're gonna be screwing with the remix. ;)

Patterns are more analogous to loops than tracks. In a pattern, you still have several tracks of different synths and samples and audio files, etc..

Yes but in FL if I do something to one instrument it does that effect for the whole song I can't make it happen for one specific moment. And I don't know how to play with EQ effects.

Yes but in FL if I do something to one instrument it does that effect for the whole song I can't make it happen for one specific moment. And I don't know how to play with EQ effects.

well see the only way that would happen if you would add a eq to the master channel and you do not want to do that cuz like you said you would be eq'ing the whole mix. its really easy to eq individual instruments im surprised your brother didnt show you that. also you would have to reasearch on google on the frequnices you would have to eq ..an eq chart. yes i was in your situation about 4yrs ago i didnt know anything about mastering but it takes practice i dont expect you to learn over night it took me roughly a year and a half to finally get everything down pact. but keep playing around with it.

Each instrument should have its own FX chain of some sort in where you can EQ.

EQing gives you the ability to raise and lower frequencies of individual instruments to prevent the mix from being muddy. I don't know what EQ you are using, but I assume it's one of FL Studio's default plugins.

10rjpth.jpg

You use each of the numbered EQ bands to adjust the given sound frequency. Say the low frequencies of other instruments were clashing with the low frequencies of instruments meant to give a bass sound (Bass guitar, etc.), you would simply roll off the low end of the EQ, you would click the #1 band and drag it down to roll off the bass frequencies of the offending instruments. I record electric guitar, and the usual standard for that is to roll off lower frequencies of all intruments but the bass guitar and kick drum to give the mix a bit more clarity, and to usually boost the high frequencies of the rythem guitar.

Play around with the EQ a bit; try to find what is muddying up your mix and either add or subtract to the frequency bands of the individual instruments.

Hope this helps.

Each instrument should have its own FX chain of some sort in where you can EQ.

EQing gives you the ability to raise and lower frequencies of individual instruments to prevent the mix from being muddy. I don't know what EQ you are using, but I assume it's one of FL Studio's default plugins.

10rjpth.jpg

You use each of the numbered EQ bands to adjust the given sound frequency. Say the low frequencies of other instruments were clashing with the low frequencies of instruments meant to give a bass sound (Bass guitar, etc.), you would simply roll off the low end of the EQ, you would click the #1 band and drag it down to roll off the bass frequencies of the offending instruments. I record electric guitar, and the usual standard for that is to roll off lower frequencies of all intruments but the bass guitar and kick drum to give the mix a bit more clarity, and to usually boost the high frequencies of the rythem guitar.

Play around with the EQ a bit; try to find what is muddying up your mix and either add or subtract to the frequency bands of the individual instruments.

Hope this helps.

Wow! THANKS!

Now I know what to do!

I rolled off higher frequencies from the Bass, I added mid high for the piano gave mid/low stuff to the harp and really high for the Sine Wave.

This is just my EQ test, I still have the file without the EQ'ing but see if this version solves any problems.

http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/ReMixEQTest.mp3

Edit: Never mind Shariq said it sounded muffled. Any other suggestions besides EQ'ing?

Here's my original version:

Maybe you simply dropped/added some frequencies too much? Maybe you simply just didn't EQ very well? Either of these could possibly be the case.

Rolling off the highs from Bass instruments won't have a whole lot of effect, as Bass instruments usually only have any real sound on the low side of the spectrum. Really, I'm not sure if Bass instruments need that much EQing; I'm fairly certain they don't, but I'm not experienced enough to give a definite answer.

Maybe you simply dropped/added some frequencies too much? Maybe you simply just didn't EQ very well? Either of these could possibly be the case.

Rolling off the highs from Bass instruments won't have a whole lot of effect, as Bass instruments usually only have any real sound on the low side of the spectrum. Really, I'm not sure if Bass instruments need that much EQing; I'm fairly certain they don't, but I'm not experienced enough to give a definite answer.

Well my brother said to not bother EQ'ing so I have to ask him another time what I should do...

Didn't realize how short of a source you were working with. My first comment would be that you did a pretty good job of taking about 20 seconds of music and stretching it out to three and a half minutes without coming off as too repetitive.

But it is a little bit repetitive. By varying up instruments you eliminated a lot of it... still, there are some spots where I think it could stand to become more noticeably varied. Like at 1:15, after the cymbal fill/transition you introduce the bass doing its thing, but it's not coming through strongly enough. The bass either needs to be louder or have more "presence" (well, I mean, it should be producing sound in a little higher frequencies so I can hear it) or both.. maybe some messing with the EQ, a new bass sound, or maybe taking it up an octave would take care of it? It's part of the mastering process, I guess, and it's somethin I'm not great with either. The bass is more noticeable in the un-eq'd version, so just keep tinkering with it till you get a good sound.

Takes time.. lots of time. Which, with youth, you might have :D They say youth is wasted on the young, so... don't let it be wasted. I'm not old but I sure as hell wasted away most of my teens (last one to go - hopin to make it more productive, lol).

I hear a few instruments that could use some more high-ends, as right now I hear a lot of mids. That organ instrument and piano are specifically where you could use more highs (the drums wouldn't benefit from the highs too much :|).

Have you messed with the mastering, at all? You could make up some of the highs with your mastering equipment rather than individual instruments, but you always need to be careful with mastering, as your raising the sound of all you instruments, when you do so.

I haven't heard the un-EQ'd version, so I can't really say anything about the EQ on it (as my internet is acting incredibly slow, atm - took me about 20 minutes just to get the EQ'd version :?).

Didn't realize how short of a source you were working with. My first comment would be that you did a pretty good job of taking about 20 seconds of music and stretching it out to three and a half minutes without coming off as too repetitive.

But it is a little bit repetitive. By varying up instruments you eliminated a lot of it... still, there are some spots where I think it could stand to become more noticeably varied. Like at 1:15, after the cymbal fill/transition you introduce the bass doing its thing, but it's not coming through strongly enough. The bass either needs to be louder or have more "presence" (well, I mean, it should be producing sound in a little higher frequencies so I can hear it) or both.. maybe some messing with the EQ, a new bass sound, or maybe taking it up an octave would take care of it? It's part of the mastering process, I guess, and it's somethin I'm not great with either. The bass is more noticeable in the un-eq'd version, so just keep tinkering with it till you get a good sound.

Takes time.. lots of time. Which, with youth, you might have :D They say youth is wasted on the young, so... don't let it be wasted. I'm not old but I sure as hell wasted away most of my teens (last one to go - hopin to make it more productive, lol).

Well the thing is Shariq (Darkesword) told me not to bother EQ'ing... when he has time I should ask him what my next step should be. (Because Darkesword does not EQ, he just has good sounds)

I hear a few instruments that could use some more high-ends, as right now I hear a lot of mids. That organ instrument and piano are specifically where you could use more highs (the drums wouldn't benefit from the highs too much :|).

Have you messed with the mastering, at all? You could make up some of the highs with your mastering equipment rather than individual instruments, but you always need to be careful with mastering, as your raising the sound of all you instruments, when you do so.

I haven't heard the un-EQ'd version, so I can't really say anything about the EQ on it (as my internet is acting incredibly slow, atm - took me about 20 minutes just to get the EQ'd version :?).

Listen to the un EQ'd version.

That sounds like a Chuck Norris joke... lol

lol "I can't believe it's not butter"

"Darkesword CAN believe it's not butter!"

Anyways yeah he has good sounds in the first place so he doesn't need to EQ... I rely entirely on soundfonts, I don't have the money nor hard drive space for samples.

Anyways I'm glad you think I did a good job lengthening the source (It was like 10 seconds because I didn't use the second half of it) but I used the Requiem of Spirit to add a little spice to the ice. (THAT IS A LINE WORTHY OF MY SIGNATURE, IF NOT FOR THE SYSTEM COUNTING MY TWO LINES OF TEXT AS MORE THAN FOUR.)

I did a quick runthrough of your original, just now, and immediately I can tell you whatever you did to the drums in the EQ'd version made them far better - do it again :) Otherwise, the EQ on the other instruments were fine in the un-EQ'd version.

Overall, the sound is too quite on everything - not the worst thing in the world (people can just turn their speakers up to hear it) but it's best to try to match the sound with whatever else is going to be on their playlist (check out other 'Neblixsa' style music on this site and compare the volumes - you'll find yours is significantly quieter than other music that sounds like yours). Generally, people will be listening to the music in conjunction with other OCR music, so you'd better find out if your music sounds good when placed next to other music, and adjusting the volume helps greatly in that regard.

I'll say it again - have you considered tweaking with the mastering of the song? That will help give you the volume (by raising the levels on the compressors and such) and can clean up the overall sound (using an EQ on the whole song - tweak the highs and a little on the bass, here). Check it out - it would help a lot.

I did a quick runthrough of your original, just now, and immediately I can tell you whatever you did to the drums in the EQ'd version made them far better - do it again :) Otherwise, the EQ on the other instruments were fine in the un-EQ'd version.

Overall, the sound is too quite on everything - not the worst thing in the world (people can just turn their speakers up to hear it) but it's best to try to match the sound with whatever else is going to be on their playlist (check out other 'Neblixsa' style music on this site and compare the volumes - you'll find yours is significantly quieter than other music that sounds like yours). Generally, people will be listening to the music in conjunction with other OCR music, so you'd better find out if your music sounds good when placed next to other music, and adjusting the volume helps greatly in that regard.

I'll say it again - have you considered tweaking with the mastering of the song? That will help give you the volume (by raising the levels on the compressors and such) and can clean up the overall sound (using an EQ on the whole song - tweak the highs and a little on the bass, here). Check it out - it would help a lot.

Can do, Gario. But you see... I didn't do anything to the drums in EQ Test so I can't help you there. I opened two separate Fruityloops (I'm amazed I could even run that many!) And compared the effects tables side by side. Volume, reverb settings, it's the same in both versions. Maybe it's because my EQ version was at a very low master volume. However, I did bring it louder, I was baffled when I found it wouldn't clip when I brought it to standard FL Studio project level, and I made it a little higher as well. My EQ'd version was in a different file, so all the stuff in the original file that you just listened to is intact. (I'll discontinue using the EQ'd file)

Hey Gario do you remember my first WIP? That terrible version of the Megaman 7 Intro stage? I don't even have the file anymore XD I'll try remixing that when I have more experience, as well as that Electronica Megaman Zero 3 Battle song.

And Gario I don't what Neblixsa is. It's this song, but I didn't make Neblixsa up. Explain what it is.

And Gario I don't what Neblixsa is. It's this song, but I didn't make Neblixsa up. Explain what it is.

Umm... this song? I don't know, really. Just compare to other tracks on this site; I meant the genre to be a sort of joke, but I have a knack for running those into the ground so they're not funny anymore :<.

I think I have your first WIP lying around somewhere - I'll take a look around (I gave my old computer away, though, so if it as there I won't have it anymore :( )

Umm... this song? I don't know, really. Just compare to other tracks on this site; I meant the genre to be a sort of joke, but I have a knack for running those into the ground so they're not funny anymore :<.

I think I have your first WIP lying around somewhere - I'll take a look around (I gave my old computer away, though, so if it as there I won't have it anymore :( )

What do you have to say about the next version of my remix?