More Synth Id'ing

I know that I have had a lot of these questions in the past, but I thought I was getting good at recreating synths until this god of a sound came through my headphones - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk4R_aBWs3g&feature=related

2:29 :shock:

I know synth1 isn't capable of this no matter how many times I layer it...but I am considering buying Vanguard which I have gotten pretty close to this with the demo.

Anyone with better ears and experience think they can pick apart and ID this sound?

I know synth1 isn't capable of this no matter how many times I layer it...

Instead of just layering, consider including panning and EQ.

but I am considering buying Vanguard which I have gotten pretty close to this with the demo.

Try Sylenth1.

Anyone with better ears and experience think they can pick apart and ID this sound?

It's the typical JP8000/Virus supersaw, nothing special.

No, because it's rather expensive for its complexity (though it sounds pretty good). Rob Papen's Predator would probably be a better choice (and more versatile). Sylenth1 has as main advantage that each oscillator can go into unison mode itself, and it's got a pretty good bandwidth and nicer filters than Synth1.

As for panning: you take like 4 channels of Synth1 that each have the same patch (you probably want to switch off effects) - each detuned a bit (consider -5 -15 and +5 +15).

You pan the -5 and +15 hard left and the +5 and - 15 hard right. Then you put an EQ on the -5 and +5 and take away a bit of low and boost a bit of mid-high. There's a zillion combinations thinkable.

By spreading it like that you could get more depth in your sound than mere unison spread on a pair of oscillators would get.

No, because it's rather expensive for its complexity (though it sounds pretty good). Rob Papen's Predator would probably be a better choice (and more versatile). Sylenth1 has as main advantage that each oscillator can go into unison mode itself, and it's got a pretty good bandwidth and nicer filters than Synth1.

As for panning: you take like 4 channels of Synth1 that each have the same patch (you probably want to switch off effects) - each detuned a bit (consider -5 -15 and +5 +15).

You pan the -5 and +15 hard left and the +5 and - 15 hard right. Then you put an EQ on the -5 and +5 and take away a bit of low and boost a bit of mid-high. There's a zillion combinations thinkable.

By spreading it like that you could get more depth in your sound than mere unison spread on a pair of oscillators would get.

I BLAME YOU! I BLAME YOU on the hours alone I am about to spend in my room trying out all of these zillion combinations...I thought I was addicted already O_O

But seriously, thank you so much for you help - that is exactly the kind of technique I needed!