OCR01102 - Marble Madness "Marble Dancefloor"

djpretzel

Contrary to KogeJoe, I thought this was a very fun and challenging game. I remember playing it when I was little and never being able to beat the 4th? level, i think it was. I'm not sure, but it's the one that you think is impossible. If you've ever beaten that game, you know there's no better feeling. I've always liked the music, but I figured no one would ever even THINK of remixing it. I constantly listen to this mix when i need a little pick-me-up.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thought I'd give this another closer listen, after playing the arcade version of Marble Madness last weekend at Katsucon ('til my hands were red--slight aside, the NES version is much easier, though not as much fun sans the trackball).

Anyway... Honestly, it's a bit repetitive, especially the 10-20 seconds before it gets into the main theme. The bassline is pretty good, though, and it's at least as catchy (if not more so) than the original theme. Overall, it's an okay piece.

I should say, though, that Palpable has a really great and unique style that I enjoy. You can hear early elements of it in this remix, and everything hereafter by him has just been getting better and better. KF

• 4 months later...

Nifty synthpop that most definately does not reinvent any wheels but has a good time regardless. There is some musical fatigue that sets in after the main melody line continues to repeat with gradual variations, but as far as repetition goes, the problem is minimal.

I think the best thing about this is that you can feel the game in it. As others have mentioned, you don't just think of Marble Madness when you hear this. You think of a whole slew of puzzle-based retro games with soundtracks that channel this sort of vibe. I appreciate it a whole lot and geniunely think think that puzzle games with determined, yet repetitive soundtracks are some of the best the industry has ever produced.

This mix is a love letter to those immortal tunes, for me. Cool stuff indeed.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Swaying. Circling. Punching the air. Finger tapping. Irregular head bobbing. These are some of the many colorful ways I dance to this indulgence called Marble Dancefloor. It all starts with a playfully note-descending lead that makes me picture a marble bouncing down a flight of stairs (nifty little hook), and then it slips right into a pimpin' rendition of Level 2. Quite simply, the electronica's a feast, coming in chewy, crunchy, and meaty flavors. And it does a body good.

• 3 years later...

Hmm yes. I too feel this Daft Punk thing going on a little here in this ReMix. My friend used to have this game. There weren't enough obstacles in this game so they had to put good music like this to have me lose focus just enough to get killed :)

Nice work on this ReMix. Although the original song is short, you kept it interesting so that it didn't feel to repetitve. Brings back some good memories of this game.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01102 - Marble Madness "Marble Dancefloor"