Michael Jackson dead at 50

The wingless

I guess I don't really care that he's dead and gone. Won't lose any sleep over it, anyway. I was a big fan of his music when I was, like, 5, but I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't him that I was a fan of, it was his producers. Soooo... *shrug* R.I.P.

Thank you for being the first to have the balls to say, "To be honest, I really don't give a shit."

I was worried it would be me and I'd have a nasty backlash.

Thank you for being the first to have the balls to say, "To be honest, I really don't give a shit."

I was worried it would be me and I'd have a nasty backlash.

Your amongst good company. It's a sad thing, but it's not like he was a moral person and wasn't a complete freak. I won't mourn.

I've come to the conclusion that it wasn't him that I was a fan of, it was his producers. Soooo... *shrug* R.I.P.
That's a valid point -- the people that shaped and created some of his music are epic in their own right (Quincey Jones, I'm looking at you). But with the longevity, scope and originality of his music, I can't reasonably come to the conclusion that his producers were primarily responsible for what I see as unparalleled musicianship, all the way through Dangerous.

That's a valid point -- the people that shaped and created some of his music are epic in their own right (Quincey Jones, I'm looking at you). But with the longevity, scope and originality of his music, I can't reasonably come to the conclusion that his producers were primarily responsible for what I see as unparalleled musicianship, all the way through Dangerous.

Regardless of quality, even the briefest of glances at the way his music evolved in general sound and structure throughout his career amidst changing producers makes it all too apparent just how big of a role they had.

Why? Why?

Tell 'em that it's human nature.

I burst out laughing when I read that.

That said, I actually will really miss the guy. I know so many of his songs by heart. In law school, my buddy Erick and I used to torment the entire bar by stuffing $50 into the jukebox and play nothing but MJ. And then, when someone would try and trump our songs (by paying an ungodly amount), we'd trump it right back.

And as I'm so fond of saying... he was Michael freakin' Jackson. The king of pop. I took such personal offense to the cocktail-party ridicule the poor guy got. And straight up, no bullshit... I don't care how many kids he (allegedly) molested - he freakin' EARNED it. If anyone deserved the right to molest children, it was Michael Jackson.

Ahh MJ, he was always one of my alltime favorites. He's raping children in Heaven now, god rest his soul.

Your amongst good company. It's a sad thing, but it's not like he was a moral person and wasn't a complete freak. I won't mourn.

I didn't fucking mean it that way at all, I'm just totally indifferent because I didn't know him personally and he has not effected my life in any other way than to give me something else to think about and do today. It has nothing negative to do with him personally.

But then again, I find death overrated in theory and in the theological sense, and then I've destroyed anything within me that has even the slightest emotional response to death or dying, so I think I'm pretty biased.

Regardless of quality, even the briefest of glances at the way his music evolved in general sound and structure throughout his career amidst changing producers makes it all too apparent just how big of a role they had.
I disagree. For a career that lasted as long as his, I don't think his core sound evolved very much at all. Especially considering that his characteristic sound came through so clearly, even when working with people notorious for coloring the sound of those they work with (Glen Ballard, I'm looking at you). The similarity across the years is actually a minor gripe I have with his work.

But an artist's "sound" is somewhat subjective, so if you feel that his sound actually has significantly changed, how do you know that this doesn't simply indicate in large part an evolution of the artist?

Even outside of the musical realm, the guy was a PHENOMENAL entertainer. He will probably be remembered just as much for his phenomenal dancing skills as he will for his music. Additionally, a fair portion of his songs have good messages too (ie. Black and White). Combining these things to his popularity ALL OVER THE WORLD (yes, even my family in India knows him and his music all too well), charisma, and longevity, he is an undoubted legend in my book. He will be missed greatly.

RIP MJ

In law school, my buddy Erick and I used to torment the entire bar by stuffing $50 into the jukebox and play nothing but MJ.

Who the hell is tormented by listening to Michael Jackson?

WHAT KIND OF DREGS WERE YOU ASSOCIATING WITH, MAN?

law school

Oh, right. Never mind.

So, when Newt & I went to Buffalo Wild Wings earlier in the night, we heard Thriller played over the speakers fittingly enough.

For those who haven't heard it, here's a nice Thriller chiptune virt did: http://www.biglionmusic.com/content/virt_-_thriller_vrc6.mp3

This sucks big time, but it hasn't really hit me as much because of a possible nuclear war in Korea looming has much of my concern atm due to all of my relatives on my father's side living in North & South Korea (at least, we hope the ones stuck in NK are still alive).