Michael Jackson dead at 50

The wingless

I wouldn't bet on that, Neko. His personal eccentricities, along with the allegations, complete appearance change, and odd behavioral antics, will not go away. There are far too many stories over the years for it all to just be wiped away from anyone's memory. Some of it was true, some of it was false, but it was all in plentiful supply.

Just about everyone has some songs from the guy that they like (Thriller, Leave me Alone, Billy Jean, Smooth Criminal... those are some of the one's I've enjoyed over the years), and just about everyone has opinions on his actions over the years. But regardless of how much anyone likes him, hates him, or is indifferent towards him, Michael's legacy will always be two-fold... his music career, and his personal life. The two will never be separated, as they're far too entwined with one another.

I think you're right. A lot of Elvis's troubled later years are still remembered today, alongside the fact that he was a legend. Actually, their lives aren't that dissimilar. I wonder if new legends will evolve around MJ the way they did around Elvis.

I didn't mention this in my last post, but I had been thinking about MJ a lot this week already, watching his videos and figuring out which greatest hits of his to get (somehow I don't own one). It's uncanny to me that his death happened now, like I was anticipating it or something.

Quite saddening really, waking up and hearing on the radio "Michael Jackson has died earlier this morning."

His personal life aside (and, like a few, I've always had my doubts about the allegations) his music was pretty good. Methinks the world be lessened somewhat for this death.

Gotta agree with Nekofrog and some of the dudes here. His career was tarnished by those false allegations, sadly. I highly doubt that he ever touched a kid in a bad way. Some big people wanted him down and obviously hated him. He knew that and stayed away from the US until now.

Whatever, though. Despite the circumstances, I'm sad for him. Use to love watching him back in the day. I even loved his movie. RIP.

Growing up, I was a huge MJ fan. I had the tape of Thriller, vinyls, etc. He did a lot of things for the music industry that no one else will probably ever be able to do, or come near doing.

But, that man died years ago to me. Honestly, I mourned him long ago, and this does not even phase me that the shell of the man that carried the name died yesterday.

Hell, any guy sitting in a park just enjoying his own surroundings gets strange looks and assumptions of pedophilia. Our society is shit, to be honest.

Great post in general Nekofrog, but I had to highlight this.

That's what I hate about society. You can't smile or talk to a little kid somewhere because a parent will think your a pedophile. I like kids, doesn't mean I'm gonna steal one (that's no reference to Jackson either).

As far as his music, show me someone who could consistently make number one hits and records. And those records be remembered for years.

I may have to listen a bit more of the early years of Jackson, Jackson 5 era wasn't bad. The more I listen to some of the 70's music, the more I like it. Especially funk. 80's music, had good pop music and rock. 90's, not so much, other than a few for me, Smashing Pumpkins, Weeezer, Nirvana, and only a few others that I feel were the best of that time, but I'm getting off topic here, sorry.

Man, this is like when Tupac or Cobain died. They were the voice of their generation. However MJ's voice spread out for four generations (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s) and like every last of that generation have been effected by it. It ain't a Generation X, Y Z, or Baby Boomers thing, everyone is affected by it.

Man, this is like when Tupac or Cobain died. They were the voice of their generation. However MJ's voice spread out for four generations (70s, 80s, 90s, 00s) and like every last of that generation have been effected by it. It ain't a Generation X, Y Z, or Baby Boomers thing, everyone is affected by it.

I think you're right. A lot of Elvis's troubled later years are still remembered today, alongside the fact that he was a legend. Actually, their lives aren't that dissimilar. I wonder if new legends will evolve around MJ the way they did around Elvis.

Well MJ certainly seems a more plausible alien doesn't he?

It's very sad to lose anyone. Especially when it seems like they might have lived longer.

MJ is particularly notable case because he had such a huge impact on pop culture. His music and dancing have survived the test of time and perhaps even more impressively, his personal life. While I do think Michael Jackson was to a certain degree ...WACKED, I have always been a big fan of his music and his dancing, and I'm confident thatyears down the road his music will be his biggest contribution and the memory of his eccentricities will be largley limited to "oh his music great, I heard he was kind of a nutjob too. had tons of plastic surgery or something like that".

MJ is certainly not the first (nor last) influential artist in history to be a bit crazy. And while that probably wont ever go away it'll probably end up as a footnote to what he did in pop music.

As far as the pedophile accusations go. I honestly don't have enough info to say for sure one way or the other, but i suspect that he never did anything wrong. He strikes me as someone who in his mind was still living his childhood his whole life. Some people are just like that, and some people just love children. A far less extravagant example than MJ would be J.M. Barrie, a man who also never let go of his childhood, loved spending time with children, and once after his death our society became what it is now, was wrongly accused of being a pedophile.

my thoughts and prayers are with the jackson family. I hope he rests in peace

*memorial moonwalk*

MJ's death has definitely been surreal for me. He was one of the icons of my childhood (another playground Moonwalker here) so I guess in my mind I assumed he was immortal, or at least he'd live longer than 50 anyway. I watched the Moonwalker movie so many times when I was a kid that the VHS tape got too worn out to play anymore. My parents actually have a home video of me dancing like a total freak to Speed Demon as well.

I'll agree with Nekofrog though. I don't think there was substantial evidence to say he was a pedophile, but it's more interesting/fun for society as a whole to assume he was one.

I watched the Moonwalker movie so many times when I was a kid that the VHS tape got too worn out to play anymore. My parents actually have a home video of me dancing like a total freak to Speed Demon as well.

Who told you you could have my childhood?

Give it back.

No time like the present...

This is one of my hell-with-it projects from a while ago: I took all the BGM variations from the Genesis Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (.wav rips of chiptune files, to be more accurate) and combined them into full-length renditions that are as close as possible to the original arrangements. Geekdom!

Another Part of Me

Bad

Beat It

Billie Jean

Smooth Criminal

Loved his energy and soul, and how he could broadcast those even louder through his dance. I used to listen to the Thriller LP all the time when I was little, and I've listened to him tons over the past few years; iTunes alone shows 500 plays this past year, and I listen to him on my iPod more. Definitely in my top 3 favorite performers

RIP man, I hope you are repaid for your actions, both good and bad, and through that you find resolution to a unique existence