Michael Jackson dead at 50

The wingless

No time like the present...

This is one of my hell-with-it projects from a while ago: I took all the BGM variations from the Genesis Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (.wav rips of chiptune files, to be more accurate) and combined them into full-length renditions that are as close as possible to the original arrangements. Geekdom!

Another Part of Me

Bad

Beat It

Billie Jean

Smooth Criminal

Damn, lovin this man.

It's not quite appropriate for this forum (because, god bless you music lovers and your basic integrity) - but I did a write up about MJ's death on my so-called-"blog", where it certainly fits with the fake attitudes regarding the subject. Call it my eulogy for the man.

If you want the link, let me know.

It's not quite appropriate for this forum (because, god bless you music lovers and your basic integrity) - but I did a write up about MJ's death on my so-called-"blog", where it certainly fits with the fake attitudes regarding the subject. Call it my eulogy for the man.

If you want the link, let me know.

Of course I want the link.

:puppyeyes:

1st album i ever bought was dangerous, on cassette, i might be a punk rock/thrash/hard rock/etc fan now, but jackson meant a lot to me (and so to most kids from the 90s...), i don't even want to imagine what my life would be if i didn't buy that album back then... basically he got me into music...

this sucks a lot...

michaeljackson.jpg

1st album i ever bought was dangerous, on cassette, i might be a punk rock/thrash/hard rock/etc fan now, but jackson meant a lot to me (and so to most kids from the 90s...), i don't even want to imagine what my life would be if i didn't buy that album back then... basically he got me into music...

this sucks a lot...

michaeljackson.jpg

I like that homage pic with Michael Jackson, Skull. I would like your permission to use this as my signature to show my respect to him. All of this still hasn't sunken for me as yet.

It's so sad that now, just days after his death, all the nastiness is coming out like people wanting to get custody of his kids, his doctor 'disappearing from the face of the planet' and newspapers saying it was an overdose of meds (so...suicide?).

I hate the media, seriously.

This Jackson guy didn't really have an impact on me at all, so I guess I have more of a neutral stance to the whole thing that's been happening. But I can see why people all over the world are so upset with his demise.

I'm just not looking forward to all the tribute bullshit that's gonna be on TV and the internet from here on...

People die, everyone does. MJ is just a person too.

My problem with death, especially celebrity death, is that if this person hadn't died, would you have cared today? Would you have cared a week from now? Would you have cared in a year? The only time MJ got brought up any more was either if he was gonna do a tour, or if he did something crazy. Its just kinda sad to see all these people fawning over him right now, when they didn't give two shits about him the day before, or way beyond that point. I kinda agree with my wife's mom. She said "if you can't bring me flowers when I'm alive, don't bring them to my grave, cause I guess I'm not good enough now, why should I be then?"

My problem with death, especially celebrity death, is that if this person hadn't died, would you have cared today? Would you have cared a week from now? Would you have cared in a year? The only time MJ got brought up any more was either if he was gonna do a tour, or if he did something crazy. Its just kinda sad to see all these people fawning over him right now, when they didn't give two shits about him the day before, or way beyond that point. I kinda agree with my wife's mom. She said "if you can't bring me flowers when I'm alive, don't bring them to my grave, cause I guess I'm not good enough now, why should I be then?"

This always, always happens with public figures because even a time of relative obscurity and quiet can be ignored but the second a person dies, the media is all over it. It's a bit different with a close friend / family member because you have a direct relationship with them and you can keep in touch with them / respect them, etc. With a public figure that is hardly possible.

And the thing with older celebrities (i.e. the ones that passed away this past week) it's not like many people gave 2 shits about any of them days earlier, but in their deaths we're reminded of the things that they offered us while they were alive, in some cases many years ago. For the record, remember that MJ sold out 50 concerts in London that were going to begin in two weeks, so he was hardly forgotten anyway. But inevitably, some people choose not to continue long term entertainment careers or go into retirement. That doesn't mean that you forget their past accomplishments or the way that they made you feel when you were a fan watching their singing / dancing / acting / shows.

No matter how long it has been since someone produced good work, whether it be Heath Ledger before the release of his landmark performance or MJ many years past the best ones of his - an artist's death reminds you not only of the (generally) great things they've done, but unfortunately how you will never get to see them do it again. For fans of art and performance, that makes the tragedy all the more poignant.

This always, always happens with public figures because even a time of relative obscurity and quiet can be ignored but the second a person dies, the media is all over it. It's a bit different with a close friend / family member because you have a direct relationship with them and you can keep in touch with them / respect them, etc. With a public figure that is hardly possible.

And the thing with older celebrities (i.e. the ones that passed away this past week) it's not like many people gave 2 shits about any of them days earlier, but in their deaths we're reminded of the things that they offered us while they were alive, in some cases many years ago. For the record, remember that MJ sold out 50 concerts in London that were going to begin in two weeks, so he was hardly forgotten anyway. But inevitably, some people choose not to continue long term entertainment careers or go into retirement. That doesn't mean that you forget their past accomplishments or the way that they made you feel when you were a fan watching their singing / dancing / acting / shows.

No matter how long it has been since someone produced good work, whether it be Heath Ledger before the release of his landmark performance or MJ many years past the best ones of his - an artist's death reminds you not only of the (generally) great things they've done, but unfortunately how you will never get to see them do it again. For fans of art and performance, that makes the tragedy all the more poignant.

Me and my girl friend were talking about this exact matter the other day, about celebrity deaths compared to family/friend deaths or just people in your daily papers obituary.

In the end I realize I was a little sadden over the thought of MJ passing. He was a big part of my chilhood being a kid of the 80s, even if I lost interest once the Singapore incident happen.

What really bothers me is all of the disrespect he got despite his great music and dancing.

I mean seriously. There's a kid in my class who has his computer lab's account desktop as a picture. It's the Home Alone cover with Michael Jackson on it. Underneath reads "Home Alone with Michael jackson." How messed up can you be?

Everyone didn't care and disrespected him two days before... now all of the sudden he's like an idol that passed away. Can you imagine that? Disrespected and then when you finally are respected, you're not alive to see it. It's so tragic.

I mean seriously. There's a kid in my class who has his computer lab's account desktop as a picture. It's the Home Alone cover with Michael Jackson on it. Underneath reads "Home Alone with Michael jackson." How messed up can you be?

Welcome to 10+ years ago. That's how long that pictures been around.

Yeah, stuff like this doesn't hit me as fast as I think it should be. I mean, when it happened I was down because I *acknowledged* how much of an impact it had on other people, and not on me. But after a couple days, and watching some of his videos on VH1, it's like, "damn, the world just lost the best dancer it's ever had."

I mean seriously, he was just so committed to his movements and put a lot of energy into every single jerk. Guy was phenomenal in terms of dancing, and I knew that before he passed, it just hits it home again that we won't see that again except in videos. That's a sad thing to swallow for me because dancing's become a big part of my life.

I mean, I'm not to the point of tears, but seriously it's like "damn", someone great is gone, and they ain't coming back. That effin' crazy-ass moonwalk that he pulled...only gonna exist in videos and stories. That guy was crazy shit, and nobody will EVER match the energy he had in his videos and on stage.

I only remember Jackson in the early 90's and very little of that. My strongest memory of him is a music video he did for Free Willy for Christ's sake. But I listened to that video over and over and over and over. I suppose that says something about what a talent he was. His music was truly captivating, and I don't care who you are, you have to admit that man could DANCE. Definitely a bit weird for me to have an icon from some of my earliest memories pass like this.

Remember the artist, not the press coverage. Rest in peace Michael.