OCR01103 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Within the Fable"

djpretzel

Ooh, this pulse is strong. The triplet feel in the percussion is really nice, and accents what's going on really nicely.

I'm not too crazy about that flute sample. Sounds kinda tinny.

When the piano comes in with the choral sounds, it's pure heaven. The guitar also adds a really nice touch.

Your sounds (for the most part) are excellent, and you really build a nice texture by combining them properly.

A few things; for the most part, the song seemed to have a lot of highs and lows, and not enough midrange. It may have been a levels issue. Not too serious, just something to think about.

Also, it was a bit short. I would have loved to hear the part with the chorals developed more.

All in all though, great work, Helen. ^_^

Since I researched it, I might as well review it.

Interesting way to turn 4/4 into 3/4. At first glance, sounded like another spc rip that bypassed the panel due to elements of ludicrous nostalgia and racial affinity, but such is not the case. This is quite an improvement over the original, with plenty of the good ole remix values: originality, improvisation, rearrangement, and sound quality.

Should have been longer.

Cool.

I agree about the flute (if that's what it is - it sounds more like a piccolo to me). The trouble with samples is that they often allow very little in the way of expression. I think this is one instance where a synthesiser would have been a better choice. Don't forget to add velocity either. It's sounding a bit sequenced the way you have it.

The arrangement was really great. The whole thing was tight and produced really well too, I thought, although the piccolo may have been just a little on the loud side. It flowed really nicely throughout - I particularly liked where the vocals came in - but I was a bit disappointed about the ending. It sounds like this is a demo that's been ended prematurely. Maybe you ran out of ideas in the middle of the song so just resorted to using fade-out tactics =P. It would have been nice for it to have come to a more definitive conclusion instead. Maybe you could have it end in the syle of a jig? Might be apropriate given the time signature and the folky style :)

Yes! Finally! An SD3 mix!

Not the song I would have liked, but a good choice. It has a nice beat . The flute sounds a little irritating at times but it averages out pleasing. I don't think there was enough of a musical climax, but to each his own. Overall, this is mix is definitely worthy of OCR.

Which reminds me, I need to load my SD3 sound test. *listens to Religion Thunder*

I really like the general flavor of this mix. As Darke said, I'm not fond of the slight artificiality of the flute/pipe with the melody, though the harmony is very reminiscent of the style set by the game. The syncopation and rhythm juggling is very cool; more people should do that. What I really dislike is the snare sample; while I can see why you chose it (it's reminiscent of the original style, like the harmony), it's far too powerful for the mood you've set. If it were lighter and shallower sounding, it would mesh better and not distract quite so much.

And like everyone else said, I'd like it to be longer. I can see a great deal of possible varation that wasn't explored. It could easily be four or five minutes.

Yes! Finally! An SD3 mix!

It's not the only one.

I'm not sure how many of our ReMixers are female, due to all the *cool secret code-names*, but I am certain that you, Helen, are in the minority. So first of all, congratulations on challenging a man's world. And such a well done challenge, too. Seiken Densetsu 3's incredible music is often completely overlooked simply because it (never?) saw an American release. Hence, only the Import\Emulator crowd knows about it. But Fable always was one of my favorite themes from SD3, second only to Delicate Affection. (Which I always thought sounded like the Jurassic Park theme song.)

Anyways, this is a great interpretation. One of my few complaints is that I feel the time signature change sort of detracted from the empty, longing, sad feeling the original invoked in me. But this is just opinion. The mix itself is great, and unlike everybody else, I quite like your flute sample. The interpretive chorale at 1:42 was excellent. Could have been longer though. (Where have you heard that before?) Anyways, excellent first mix, and keep them coming. Delicate Affection next. PLEASE??? :cry:

Absolutely beautiful. I shed a lot of tears listening to this, particularly at around 1:57.

I agree that the flute got a touch shrill in places, at least when I turned it way up.

Oh my goodness, Helen, please do more remixes.

to simply say wonderful is an understatement really... this remix has not only my favorite track from the game, but it was well... it didn't go as far as changing the whole feel of the ambience it gave in the original, but it enhanced it by giving the digital weak midi, that the SNES had, into an orchestrated wonder. great job... the piano solo fading into the flute was something that the game did fairly successfully, but you just blew it away.!

ahh you told me about making this one. Wonderful sort of celtic sounding rock, i like the beginning very much, which leads well into the flute solos. Percussion is good, but could be a little more convincing (im not complaining though :P). Actually, most of all the sounds are wonderful. Especially the choral section. The style of this piece still retains your new age feel while adding a wonderful new feel to it. I agree with everyone else though that it couldve been a little longer. And one other thing that isnt really that big of a problem but mightve been considered is changing the background patterns. A few instruments, mainly the percussion keep the same consistent pattern throughout the whole song. Again, not that big of a deal. Overall, a wonderful piece that was a good surprise to listen to after hearing Frozen Dreams and This Heart. I cant wait to hear more from you :)

~BlueEnvy

I like this song. As usual I do not know the original.

I do like the flute.. but then, I like atmospheric music and it does fit in.. it isn't really 'jagged' or 'cut' anywhere. *shrugs* Just like it a lot. :)

-edit- Just wanted to say it made me think a bit of the Legend of Kyrandia (a Mac/PC game for you consolers :P ). And that I don't mind repeating myself saying how I like this remix. :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Very very nicely done. I agree a little about the flute being a bit less than ideal, but it fits the more celtic feel and it's no worse than a tin whistle or recorder. (though the recorder would have been much deeper sounding and wouldn't have fit the feel as well I think...)

This was the first piece I heard by Helen, and during a trip to a band clinic, this was one of two songs that I consistantly listened to over and over for the whole trip. When I got back I headed to her website and found that my dreams came true: she had much longer pieces available that were even better.

I do agree, however, that 2:42 is a little short to get across all the emotion that could be felt. However, I love the rendition of the piece and must say it is an awesome remix.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01103 - Seiken Densetsu 3 "Within the Fable"