Keyboard recommendations?

Archaon

Alright. I'm looking into learning how to play the keyboard, and naturally, in order to do that, I'm going to need a decent keyboard.

Now, as tempting as it is to immediately splash out on some ten thousand dollar beast of a device that puts a full orchestra at my fingertips, I realise it's better to start off small...but I also don't want to get some Mickey-Mouse thing that only plays one note at a time and sounds more like a Fisher Price toy than a musical instrument.

So. Let's assume my budget is $400. I would like you fine, musically-inclined people of OCR to either suggest a good, solid model of keyboard within that price range, or to give me some idea of what features to look out for and what I can expect to get within this budget. Or both, if you're feeling generous.

Thanks.

If you're getting something to learn how to play the piano (which is what I'm hearing from your post), then I suggest getting decent touch-sensitivity above any other features. Also, for actually learning to play, you'll want 61-keys or more; the full piano is 88 keys but may be out of your price range.

I don't have a keyboard in that price range to recommend for you -- my advice is to go to a music store that sells pianos and ask a sales rep how much bang you'll get for your buck. I just bought a piano, and we got a better deal instore than we found online, as the instore package came with a bench, pedal set, and two extra pedals at no extra cost.

I don't have a keyboard in that price range to recommend for you -- my advice is to go to a music store that sells pianos and ask a sales rep how much bang you'll get for your buck.

Unfortunately there's only one music store that I know of around here where I'd actually be able to get a proper digital keyboard, and the prices for what they have available are higher than what I can find for them online.

Perhaps you (or anyone else in the know) could take a look at these specs and give your professional opinion. Right now, including shipping, I'd be able to get this for about $350.

As already stated, you want weighted keys (hammer-action, if possible). You might be able to find an 88-key model for $400 if you can get it used; if you're buying new, you'll probably get 76 keys. I got an 88-key Casio CDP-100, which is $400 retail, for $250 on craigslist.

Keep in mind that many keyboards don't come with stands; if you need one, that's an extra $30-$100. If it doesn't have internal speakers, you'll need to get externals.

My impressions on the CDP-100, if you're interested: I like the action on the keys. They seem a little less stiff than the action on Yamaha pianos (both digital and acoustic) that I've used, which I think is a good thing. The polyphony (number of notes that can sound at a time) is low -- I think between 16 and 24 depending on the sound you use -- but that probably wouldn't be a big issue for you. The internal speakers aren't great, but they beat having to buy separate speakers. And if they were better, they'd be bigger, which would bulk up the keyboard. There's only a heaphone jack, no line-out, so you have to do some jerry-rigging if you want to hook up to speakers that take 1/4" plugs. The acoustic piano sound is decent; the electric piano is quite nice. Totally worth the $250 I paid; probably worth the $400 retail (w/o stand).

Unfortunately there's only one music store that I know of around here where I'd actually be able to get a proper digital keyboard, and the prices for what they have available are higher than what I can find for them online.

Perhaps you (or anyone else in the know) could take a look at these specs and give your professional opinion. Right now, including shipping, I'd be able to get this for about $350.

The keys aren't weighted. You can probably do better.

If you're trying to learn to play the piano and you plan on sticking with it for more than a few months, I would strongly recommend against anything except an 88-key piano. IMO, even 88 synth-action (unweighted) keys are better than 61 fully-weighted ones.

That said, if you do go with a 61-key model, I wouldn't pay more than $200 or so. Above that price, but still within your price range, you'll most likely be paying for more/better onboard sounds/fx, and they don't do anything for the budding piano virtuoso.

I also like the CDP-100. It feels great and at your price range, I don't think you can find anything much better new. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in either of the two music stores I hang out in so it may be hard to try before you buy :-/ If your $400 isn't a hard budget and you want to make a good investment in your piano future, I REALLY like the Casio Privia series. The entry level PX120 ($500) has very smooth and solid action, and it's bigger brother the PX320 ($700) feels similar with the benefit of having the optional 3 pedal setup as in an acoustic piano, and better audio output options, should you want to record the onboard sounds. There is actually a cheaper Privia, the PX110, but it has a limited 32 note polyphony which is a big turnoff for me.

Good luck.

The keys aren't weighted. You can probably do better.

Aren't weighted keys just a "feel" thing, though? How important are they?

I also like the CDP-100. It feels great and at your price range, I don't think you can find anything much better new. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one in either of the two music stores I hang out in so it may be hard to try before you buy :-/ If your $400 isn't a hard budget and you want to make a good investment in your piano future, I REALLY like the Casio Privia series. The entry level PX120 ($500) has very smooth and solid action, and it's bigger brother the PX320 ($700) feels similar with the benefit of having the optional 3 pedal setup as in an acoustic piano, and better audio output options, should you want to record the onboard sounds.

Bear in mind, though, that I'm specifically interested in learning to use a digital keyboard, not just how to play piano. I'm not really an expert so it's hard for me to tell, but it looks like the ones you suggested are essentially designed to be portable, electronic baby grands, which is fine, but I don't think it's really what I'm looking for.

Perhaps it would be better to use the word "synthesizer", but I'm hesitant to do that since I'm pretty sure that a good one of those would be likely to set me back by umpteen bajillion dollars.

Bear in mind, though, that I'm specifically interested in learning to use a digital keyboard, not just how to play piano.
Ahh, I guess I read too far into your original post and assumed you were looking into formal (read: classical) piano lessons aimed at proficiency. If you're looking to learn the piano to improve your ability to write, sequence, and just generally create music then my recommendations will definitely change. Weighting is, as you said, the feel of the keys. Are they easy to press down? Do the move smoothly to allow for subtle nuance (weighted) or are they light (synth-action) to make playing faster easier.

So, if I'm understanding what you're looking to do, I'd stay away from fully weighted keys. You're paying for the feel of a real piano that you don't need right now. If you're ok with being tied to a computer, I'd say the best route is to go with a semi-weighted midi controller like the Axiom 61 ($300). It is as fully featured as they come, without breaking your budget. Going the midi controller route means you don't have onboard sounds, but the sounds that you can buy or get for free online will be better than your onboard sounds anyway, especially in your price range.

If you want something more stand-alone and with onboard sounds, I could make a few uninformed suggestions, but I don't have much experience with them so I'll leave that to someone else.

The M-Audio keyboards come recommended from me as well if you're more interested in sequencing than actually playing the piano. I haven't used the one Harmony recommended specifically, but it looks just fine.

One more resource I'd invite you to read through is zircon's keyboard purchasing guide -- it may give you further insight into what you really want.

One more resource I'd invite you to read through is zircon's keyboard purchasing guide -- it may give you further insight into what you really want.

Aha. That's a big help. Thanks for the referral.

In response to the earlier suggestion, I should point out that while I'd certainly like a keyboard that can do MIDI control, I'd also like to be able to just play it.

After all, you're not going to pick up any women by going "Yeah, I'm a pretty good keyboard player, but if you want me to show you then I'll have to take you back to my house and up to my room and to my computer and yeah you've already lost interest haven't you."

But seriously, I would prefer something that can operate independently of a computer.

Having a semi-valid excuse to bring women into your bedroom and serenade them with song should be a pro, not a con. In fact, I think it says something about that on the Axiom's box.

You may first want to

them;
them;
them; then soon after you got attention you can try serenading them.