Daigasso! Band Brothers

Drack

I just came across this Japan-only gem. It's a rhythm game by Nintendo, but it's very different from how other rhythm games work. As a clarinetist, I feel like Band Bros approximates playing an instrument much closer than any other rhythm game I've played. It's MIDI based, and (on the highest difficulty) you have 2 octaves of the chromatic scale playable depending on what buttons you press.

But what REALLY sets it apart is the editor. You can make your own songs within the game, save them, share them online using wifi, and download available songs others have uploaded. If you use a flashcart or other means for save editing, there are tools available to import midis into the game.

Take a look at what some people have done with songs like

. Amazing.

We talked about it back when t came out, but sadly, it sort of slipped away along with the Korg game/app. They sort of get mentioned from time to time, but that's about it.

I still think a remix done entirely on one or more of these portable synthesizers on DSs would make for an interesting piece of work.

Seriously, why has no one tried it yet? It's a synthesizer on a video game system, and you can make video game remixes on it!

Well, a remix on DBB would essentially be a midi file, but I'm all for more music being available for the games.

Just added loads of songs to my flashcart'd DBB DX (via BDX file). Among them...

Native Faith from Touhou 10 (And I got an 87% on Master difficulty! .. on bass)

Pollyanna (Ness's House) from Earthbound

Lots of songs from anime...

It even has karaoke features if you're into that. Truly a gem lost to the non-Japanese population (though be prepared to read kana if you want to karaoke with the built in songs). Glad I got the opportunity to travel to Japan this summer, or I probably would have never heard of this game.