Sonic the Hedgehog Remakes, personal Project "Sonic Nostalgia"

LITHE

Sorry, this is not an ocremix project. this is a personal project I have been working on.

For a while I've been working on some remakes of some of the sonic tunes on my spare time. A little while ago I decided to work on a full remake album of Sonic 1. I want to come out with an album for each genesis sonic game. Im calling this project, "Sonic Nostalgia". I'll be posting my remakes on this thread...

I have a few songs done already. Earlier I posted up Star Light zone. I just got done with Scrap Brain zone. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Scrap Brain

stats.png

This project may grow to become even more than just remaking the songs. My brother and I have been making games for years and he is one amazing programmer! We are working on a game at the moment, but when we are done we might start working on a full game remake project! Sort of like the Sonic 2 HD remix project, but we have our own ideas that may throw this onto a whole new relm. Remember though, this is just a heads up no guarantees.

you can also keep updated at http://Myspace.com/SonicNostalgia

Website soon to come!

For a while I've been working on some remakes of some of the sonic tunes on my spare time. A little while ago I decided to work on a full remake album of Sonic 1. I want to come out with an album for each genesis sonic game. Im calling this project, "Sonic Nestalgia". I'll be posting my remakes on this thread...

I have a few songs done already. Earlier I posted up Star Light zone. I just got done with Scrap Brain zone. Check it out and let me know what you think!

Scrap Brain

stats.png

This project may grow to become even more than just remaking the songs. My brother and I have been making games for years and he is one amazing programmer! We are working on a game at the moment, but when we are done we might start working on a full game remake project! Sort of like the Sonic 2 HD remix project, but we have our own ideas that may throw this onto a whole new relm. Remember though, this is just a heads up no guarantees.

you can also keep updated at Myspace.com/SonicNestalgia

Website soon to come!

Uhm...

That's good, but you see, OCR isn't looking for remakes/covers (in other words just changing the instruments)

They're looking for rearrangements, which is stuff like changing the original song and interpreting it a different way. It's kind of hard to explain, but what it sounds like is that you just changed the instruments of the song and that's not a "rearrangement" it's just a cover.

Uhm...

That's good, but you see, OCR isn't looking for remakes/covers (in other words just changing the instruments)

They're looking for rearrangements, which is stuff like changing the original song and interpreting it a different way. It's kind of hard to explain, but what it sounds like is that you just changed the instruments of the song and that's not a "rearrangement" it's just a cover.

Oh, and you spelled Nostalgia wrong.

I know I already submitted a remix to this site. just waiting for it on the judges pannel. Im just sharing my remakes with people. these arent going to be submitted to the site, this is a side project for myself. there are few people out there that just want to hear the old songs updated, not changed around. I personally enjoy both, and I know from experience that there are others on this site that enjoy both...

thanks for the spell check though! Ive been spelling it that way for years :shock: lol everything but the title updated XD

If your not interested in the remakes though then dont worry, Im only going to be updating this thread not making others! :P

I know I already submitted a remix to this site. just waiting for it on the judges pannel. Im just sharing my remakes with people. these arent going to be submitted to the site, this is a side project for myself. there are few people out there that just want to hear the old songs updated, not changed around. I personally enjoy both, and I know frow experience that there are others on this site that enjoy both...

thanks for the spell check though! Ive been spelling it that way for years :shock: lol everything but the title updated XD

If your not interested in the remakes though then dont worry, Im only going to be updating this thread not making others! :P

Okay, when it said project I thought it was an OCRemix Project. (that's when remixers on this site are invited to remix the soundtrack of a gameA good example is Rise of The Star, which was directed by Shariq http://kirby.ocremix.org/)

And if you are successful with your Cover project maybe you should send it to Sega and ask them if they want to use it. Ya never know when

Sonic The Hedgehog 1 HD will pop up.

Okay, when it said project I thought it was an OCRemix Project. (that's when remixers on this site are invited to remix the soundtrack of a gameA good example is Rise of The Star, which was directed by Shariq http://kirby.ocremix.org/)

And if you are successful with your Cover project maybe you should send it to Sega and ask them if they want to use it. Ya never know when

Sonic The Hedgehog 1 HD will pop up.

oh crap sorry about that! didnt realize that. anyone know of a way I can change the title???

oh crap sorry about that! didnt realize that. anyone know of a way I can change the title???

Edit your first post and "Go Advanced".

If it's just a project you're working on it's fine. You don't have to change the title.

I just thought it was an OCRemix Project, that's all. (In which case you don't just remake the songs with different instruments)

But hey maybe when you're done you can start an official OCRemix Project for it.

Edit your first post and "Go Advanced".

If it's just a project you're working on it's fine. You don't have to change the title.

I just thought it was an OCRemix Project, that's all. (In which case you don't just remake the songs with different instruments)

But hey maybe when you're done you can start an official OCRemix Project for it.

one day I do want to start an ocremix project. but for me it takes lots of time to make a remix. sanctuary of rock took me two years off and on to make it the quality I wanted it to be. granted I started on it when I barly understood the way music works. this project is something Ive wanted someone to do long before I started making music.

remakes are way easier to do than remixes, but thats not the point of this project. but I do put a lot of work into making it sound updated, but still keeping the same "sound" as the origional if you know what I meen.

one day I do want to start an ocremix project. but for me it takes lots of time to make a remix. sanctuary of rock took me two years off and on to make it the quality I wanted it to be. granted I started on it when I barly understood the way music works. this project is something Ive wanted someone to do long before I started making music.

remakes are way easier to do than remixes, but thats not the point of this project. but I do put a lot of work into making it sound updated, but still keeping the same "sound" as the origional if you know what I meen.

Yeah I get what you're saying.

But maybe one day you should start remixing you'll get it done faster with practice. Like this http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/MetroidTitleTheme.mp3 I did this in like two or three hours. You're never gonna get good at remixing if you don't try it.

Start moving. If you don't move, nothing happens.

Yeah I get what you're saying.

But maybe one day you should start remixing you'll get it done faster with practice. Like this http://neblixsaber.googlepages.com/MetroidTitleTheme.mp3 I did this in like two or three hours. You're never gonna get good at remixing if you don't try it.

Start moving. If you don't move, nothing happens.

I have a remix. its sanctuary of rock (sonic & knuckles - sky sanctuary zone)

stats.png

I already submitted it and Im waiting to see it in the judges pannel. I submitted it in like late may. i do have a few others in progress.

one of the reasons I really enjoy making these remakes though, is you can hear the origional compositions come to life, and you find out that some of the compositions are actually really cool songs when you revive them. even without changing things around. I understand that a lot of people on this site have no interest in remakes, and look at them as half ass remixes :tomatoface:. thats why I made sure to put remake on the title, so those people can avoid it, and people who have interests in these remakes can find it. :P

I have a remix. its sanctuary of rock (sonic & knuckles - sky sanctuary zone)

stats.png

I already submitted it and Im waiting to see it in the judges pannel. I submitted it in like late may. i do have a few others in progress.

one of the reasons I really enjoy making these remakes though, is you can hear the origional compositions come to life, and you find out that some of the compositions are actually really cool songs when you revive them. even without changing things around. I understand that a lot of people on this site have no interest in remakes, and look at them as half ass remixes :tomatoface:. thats why I made sure to put remake on the title, so those people can avoid it, and people who have interests in these remakes can find it. :P

"you find out that some of the compositions are actually really cool songs when you revive them"

Yeah... uh, we know that. XD that's kinda why this site exists. With or without reviving the originals, they are good songs (which is why we rearrange them. It's fun to listen to an interpretation) XD And you are misunderstanding.

It's kinda like a chicken sandwich. The original source song from the game is the chicken... we just add the bun, the lettuce, mayonnaise and whatever the hell you put on your sandwiches... But like you said the chicken could be good by itself if you just bread/fry/broil it. (But the chicken by itself isn't what OCR is looking)

You're thinking of it as replacing the chicken with beef, which, while it is good, is not what OCR intends to do. Well, some people do that and it's still enjoyable. XD

... Oh great now you got me hungry. :'(

You might find that it's slightly difficult for people to give their opinions about this project if you don't actually activate the myspace account you're using for it... Just a thought.

problem fixed. thanks!

Im only working on sonic 1 at the moment. the remakes from the other sonic games that are up, are sort of out dated and below my standards these days...

...neblixaber, I know what this site is all about. all you have to say is that you get the origional tracks and turn them into a complete song :P. SnappleMan did a great job explaining to me what should go into a ReMix when I first started out. too bad he got banned : /

problem fixed. thanks!

Im only working on sonic 1 at the moment. the remakes from the other sonic games that are up, are sort of out dated and below my standards these days...

...neblixaber, I know what this site is all about. all you have to say is that you get the origional tracks and turn them into a complete song :P. SnappleMan did a great job explaining to me what should go into a ReMix when I first started out. too bad he got banned : /

Snappleman? xD If anything, I say good riddance.

Snappleman? xD If anything, I say good riddance.

why? he had a lot of great remixes out there. some of my favorite on this site! also he helped me out a lot with software, plugins, and even the way music itself works. I say he was a great contributor to the site...

He did his Snappleman thing to an unnamed member on this forum, then proceeded to mouth off to the moderator DS (I'll admit to lol'ing to his comments that day, but it still got him banned

:puppyeyes:). 'Tis still a shame, though - I do miss his antics and contributions around here.

:/ You don't say "You ruined the source" to someone who was on their first WIP. That's just plain moronic.

He needs to take a chill pill...

you know if it werent for snappleman I probably would have never heard of OC ReMix. I heard a few project chaos remixes on youtube, but when I heard his malicious fingers remix I had to find out more about that project. when I found OC ReMix I thought it was awesome. thats when I started on my first ReMix.

you know if it werent for snappleman I probably would have never heard of OC ReMix. I heard a few project chaos remixes on youtube, but when I heard his malicious fingers remix I had to find out more about that project. when I found OC ReMix I thought it was awesome. thats when I started on my first ReMix.

Eh well really I don't care... it's my beef with him not yours. :/

You're pretty good, and as a person you're way better than Snappleman. As a musician, you can probably get better than him. Snappleman is a good musician but his attitude is despicable.

Anyways, are we waiting for something to happen in your project? Because it seems like we're just sittin around chatting when your project is like

"Are you still there... is anyone there.... shutting down..." (Portal Reference)

Are you working on anything?

I just listened to the Scrap Brain Zone (Seriously, that's the fourth remix of that song I've heard this week... It's getting a lot of attention nowadays), and I'll say it's a nice arrangement. It has close to no variation to the source, but for a project like you say it's for it's pretty sweet.

The Sky Sanctuary Zone sound a bit off on the harmonies, though. I understand your changing them up (which is good), but some of the choices conflict against each other (I can't tell exactly where, but more or less a little before the middle of the song), mainly the piano against the guitar. In fact, I feel that most of the song could do better without the piano plunking along (use the instrument in a better fashion - arpeggios or single notes instead of those octaves), and try to make the piano a little more human by playing with the velocities.

I really like the direction you took this song, though - I didn't expect it, yet I enjoyed it quite a bit :). It does need cleaning up, but the meat is there, and it is so tasty.

I just listened to the Scrap Brain Zone (Seriously, that's the fourth remix of that song I've heard this week... It's getting a lot of attention nowadays), and I'll say it's a nice arrangement. It has close to no variation to the source, but for a project like you say it's for it's pretty sweet.

The Sky Sanctuary Zone sound a bit off on the harmonies, though. I understand your changing them up (which is good), but some of the choices conflict against each other (I can't tell exactly where, but more or less a little before the middle of the song), mainly the piano against the guitar. In fact, I feel that most of the song could do better without the piano plunking along (use the instrument in a better fashion - arpeggios or single notes instead of those octaves), and try to make the piano a little more human by playing with the velocities.

I really like the direction you took this song, though - I didn't expect it, yet I enjoyed it quite a bit :). It does need cleaning up, but the meat is there, and it is so tasty.

thanks man! finnally someone says something about the songs I posted up. I didnt realize, but the version I put of of sky sanctuary was and older version.

heres the newer one. sounds a lot less messy.

stats.png

thanks man! finnally someone says something about the songs I posted up. I didnt realize, but the version I put of of sky sanctuary was and older version.

heres the newer one. sounds a lot less messy.

stats.png

I'm sorry. xD

It's not that I didn't want to crit you and was trying to be rude I just misunderstood you.

I didn't know you wanted to have your songs critted.

Edit: I'm probably annoying you so I'm just gonna stop posting... good luck with your project.

Hi there. Nice remakes you have here, but I would suggest trying out something more creative with them.

The biggest "problem" I see is that while the original songs are nice and all, just replacing the instruments and adding some drumlines does not work well if you decide to stretch the original songs too much. This happens in a bad way with your version of the Sky Sanctuary, as it just goes on and on with not so much change as there could/should be in a song that lasts four minutes, the original lasting about 1:30. It's also a bit too full...you start it peacefully enough, but then as you introduce the drums they really...don't stop to give the listener a breather and maybe bringing up something smooth and floaty, like a pad, until punching in the drums and the guitar again for a crunching finish. Also with your goal to make a new soundtrack for a Sonic remake, the feel of that song does not sync with the feel of the level it is for...at least not in my mind :/

This way it sounds nice for a minute, then it actually starts to annoy as I wished for something to change after the original would have looped from the start, but really. You don't have the limitations of a small game cartridge, so I think you can make an interesting song for four minutes. Not for one.

Sorry if I was not being helpful >_>

Hi there. Nice remakes you have here, but I would suggest trying out something more creative with them.

The biggest "problem" I see is that while the original songs are nice and all, just replacing the instruments and adding some drumlines does not work well if you decide to stretch the original songs too much. This happens in a bad way with your version of the Sky Sanctuary, as it just goes on and on with not so much change as there could/should be in a song that lasts four minutes, the original lasting about 1:30. It's also a bit too full...you start it peacefully enough, but then as you introduce the drums they really...don't stop to give the listener a breather and maybe bringing up something smooth and floaty, like a pad, until punching in the drums and the guitar again for a crunching finish. Also with your goal to make a new soundtrack for a Sonic remake, the feel of that song does not sync with the feel of the level it is for...at least not in my mind :/

This way it sounds nice for a minute, then it actually starts to annoy as I wished for something to change after the original would have looped from the start, but really. You don't have the limitations of a small game cartridge, so I think you can make an interesting song for four minutes. Not for one.

Sorry if I was not being helpful >_>

Aside from his Sky Sanctuary remix he actually doesn't want to change the originals around. He just wants to "revive" them by adding instruments, etc.

But I completely agree with your points about Sky Sanctuary, it IS a bit repetitive.