ASIO4ALL v2 vs. "Primary" Sound Driver

Hello,

I noticed while working in Fruityloops on a remix (titled Rain Dancing at the Spirit Temple in the WIP forum) that my remix was sounding clippy, and when I saved it before it didn't do that. I was baffled and I thought I must've been deaf to bring my WIP to the forums like THAT. I looked in my audio settings and my output was set to Primary Sound Driver. I thought I had set it to ASIO, so when I set it to ASIO again the mix sounded fine again, no clipping or bad sounds.

Does anyone know why?

Hello,

I noticed while working in Fruityloops on a remix (titled Rain Dancing at the Spirit Temple in the WIP forum) that my remix was sounding clippy, and when I saved it before it didn't do that. I was baffled and I thought I must've been deaf to bring my WIP to the forums like THAT. I looked in my audio settings and my output was set to Primary Sound Driver. I thought I had set it to ASIO, so when I set it to ASIO again the mix sounded fine again, no clipping or bad sounds.

Does anyone know why?

Try it again both ways and keep an eye on your CPU usage meter. ASIO uses a lot less processing power because it bypasses the extra mixing done by Windows. I'm guessing you're maxing out your CPU when previewing the song on Primary driver.

Of course, if the output mp3 is actually popping/clipping, it's another matter entirely.

Try it again both ways and keep an eye on your CPU usage meter. ASIO uses a lot less processing power because it bypasses the extra mixing done by Windows. I'm guessing you're maxing out your CPU when previewing the song on Primary driver.

Of course, if the output mp3 is actually popping/clipping, it's another matter entirely.

No, when I export it as an mp3 it sounds fine. It's just that Primary Sound Driver makes it sound worse.

And sometimes my sound doesn't even work at all when I'm using ASIO, I'm not sure if I can continue working on my music with Primary...

No, when I export it as an mp3 it sounds fine. It's just that Primary Sound Driver makes it sound worse.

And sometimes my sound doesn't even work at all when I'm using ASIO, I'm not sure if I can continue working on my music with Primary...

Make sure you don't have any other music playing programs open when you start FL with ASIO (like winamp, windows media player, anything that plays sounds). Also, you'll need to make sure all of your MIDI output ports are turned off, cause ASIO won't start with MIDI channels enabled (in Options > MIDI settings). Again, this is all intentional to increase performance as much as possible by bypassing all Windows processing.

With the sound bit, I've had the same problem, and researched it a little bit. If you are using Windows Vista as your OS (as I am) sometimes it attempts to pretty much override ASIO (or at least that's my understanding of what's happening) and ends up canceling them both out. To solve this, open up your ASIO4all Offline thing and choose advanced. Then, disable then enable different ports until you find out which one is windows being stupid (that's how I fixed it. ASIO's troubleshooting tells you exactly what port thing you're looking for, but mine was all weird. I have a compaq laptop and I had to disable the Conexant headphone output thing and then I could hear perfectly fine. No clipping or anything. It was a wonderful day ^^) Hope this helps. I'm just a noob, so take what I say with a grain of salt