Kirby's Dreamland 1 Lololo Tribal Mix WIP - "Spirit Wing"

Dynablade

I've been trying to make remixes for a while not but struggled mainly with EQ. Anyway, here's a WIP of Castle Lololo's stage in KDL1 (or Dynablade's theme in KAR, since they're basically the same song) called Spirit Wing. The style is heavily based on the group Ah-nee-mah.

It's a tribal/new age song, and was was made with Soundfonts. It feels like the remix is missing something, but I'm not sure what. Critique would be welcome!

The mix is here: http://www.tindeck.com/listen/ejmx

No comment on source/interpretation, but let's have a look at the production. It sounds pretty good. Nice bass, balanced sounds. I like the percussion. Strings could be a little more interesting, they're pretty static when sustained. Dunno if it's enough to just automate the intensity, and it might be to much to write something more elabrate for them. Dunno, but they need something imo.

It progresses nicely, but repeats itself a little too blatantly. More intense the second time around would be standard route to go, but I suspect the progression is pretty close to source so you might need to create a more interpreted bit for the second iteration. Can't say for sure without comparing to source, tho.

Sound is cool, arrangement repeats itself. Nice track. Can't say whether it has a shot on ocr without knowing the source, tho.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! Yeah it's a little repetitive - I might take the second verse and do a key change, or make the flutes a little different. Overall I'm glad that my problems lie with the tune itself and not the production, as nearly everything I've made up to this point had issues with the EQ and Soundfonts sounding like an overblown Midi. Here's a link to the source track. It's from KDL1 for the Gameboy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gq_TLgmVZnk I will put in a little more variation, then post the update!