Megaman 2 - Metal Man Remix - updated - Finished and Subbed (10/07/09)

WillRock

I really like where this is going. The one thing that I really enjoy is the bass line underneath the melody. It really drives the song, and of course you've done great work with the melody too. The delay also sounds good so far. Nothing seems muddy to me. It's obviously unfinished, so I'd like to hear another update to fill in the empty spots and hear it go longer. It feels like a good song to have a lead into something bigger. You picked a great source, and I feel it in your mix. Keep up the good work! :-)

Nice work on this - I'm enjoying it quite thoroughly. It's time we take DD off his Megaman throne and challenge his stuff with something fresh, like this.

The arrangement is great so far, and the sounds are good. The mix sounds a little hollow, though - I think it's lacking in the bass and lower mids. Other than that it's sounding great - it's mixes like this one that keeps me coming back to the WIP forums so often :).

Excellent update! Is this the song in its entirety? The ending leaves me hanging a little. Other than that, I think this mix is solid so far aside from what's already been said. I really don't have much to say outside of complimenting you on what you have. Did you adjust the volumes of anything because for some reason, this updated version has more pump, if you know what I mean. The bass sticks out more to me now.

Overall, i like the piece, and the composition. I wouldn't change a thing, but, there's something to complain about. The piece sounds pretty allright, but could sound a lot better:

- High freqs are too loud

- Drums need more "power" (I don't mean "volume". The volume is allright) Maybe a compressor on the drum channel would help.

You can also get that power on the drums rendering separately the drum & bass track and aplying a Dynamic Processor over it.

Here's a quick fix i made on the high frecs

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/epea

normally, getting powerful drums is complicated, but adds a lot of life to your pieces.

(Crap.. i think i talked about the first version of the mix xD)

Pretty awesome. Like the start and the breakdown at 1:50 was sweet, however I really think there should be more "power" when the song starts to build back up again. It kinda needed it. Liked the ending a lot until it just cut out- you build up to something with the stabs at 3:35 but then just lose all that energy that was built up by the synth lead. Even adding in a final hit and chord would just give it that finishing edge.

Overall pretty enjoyable, well I liked it anyway. ^__^

0:24 too abrupt change, needs something else. The solo instrument there could use louder highs and lower bass/mids. Panning sounds asinine. :P Dude, what were you thinking?

Great use of the source, doesn't sound like any of the other remixes of it, yet there's references and bits and pieces of it throughout. Great job on that.

Was expecting more repetitions at 2:31. Great place to annoy ppl by having one too many repetitions, but I'm not sure how many is too many. :D

Again, a different mood in the end, seems to be a WIllrock thing. :D And there's more repetitions. ;) Great stuff, man, keep at it.

I like what I hear for sure. I think the song is almost a 10 in my book but something at the end drags I was looking for sharper notes but it was kinda long overall though the song is niiiiice. Good stuff lemme know when its done I'll add it to my remix playlist!

Sounds really cool! Way better.

I like the composition and the synths. Fantastic solo. I love the way you went melodic there. This is very likely to be accepted by the judges.

So okay, here are a couple of flaws i find here.

- It's asking for a bassline!! (you don't have to get complicated on that, but a good bassline "reinforces" the drum/beat section a lot)

- Hi hats are too loud ( the sample(s) that appear near 0:08 )

This is pretty near to completion, I hope we can hear a finished version soon!.

So... another update.

Thanks for the tips guys, its been helpful :P

I personally think this is ready for subbing but i'll stick it here for you guys to have a listen too, and if there aren't any outstanding problems that I or you guys can hear tomorrow, i'll sub it.

I think i'll call it a fistful of metal man...

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?gmjmtymm3mz

A Fistful of Metal... That works nicely - the J's better not complain about your title, this time ;).

Really, I think it's in great shape, but the lack of change in the timbre of the lead irks me towards the end of the song. It's great for most of the music, but if you don't change it up at least once in the music it wears the listener down (like it did for me). There are a lot of opportunities in the mix where you could do that and have it work very well, so it shouldn't be a difficult fix. The notes are great, as they very a whole lot - I'm just talking about the timbre.

The soundscape has filled out very nicely since I listened to it before - the bass of the song is a little weak, but I don't believe it's detrimental to the music, so you can make a judgment call for that.

That's about all that I can see with the song that could hold it back from being posted. I like it quite a bit, otherwise :).

I like it, sounds very cool. Okay, to me this sounds finished and pretty alright, but if you want some more stuff to improve... there you go

The lead melody is a little too loud. (at least it shocked me a bit when i heard it on 0:15)

On 1:50, you should change the lead instrument, at least during the variation. The song has the same instruments and the same lead, a instrument variation would be cool.

The bass is still missing!! (in case you've put one, turn its volume up)

other than that, awesome work.

I'm really liking this. Everything sounds right where it should be. You've got synths panned all over and the drums sound amazing. I kinda wanna know what kit/program those are? That solo/breakdown section is a very nice touch as well. It seems the EQing and balancing is also spot on. You've clearly spent a lot of time on this project.

Good luck man, but i don't think you'll need it! :D