OCR01865 - Doom "Asphyxiated Soul"

If it is possible to be scared by a piece of music, this mix has gotten me as close to that as I'm ever likely to be. As the song began I guessed at which source song it was using, and ended up being correct, that it was a mix of E1M8, the final stage of Episode 1 where you end up being transported to hell.

Like many of Doom's songs, the song conveys a desolate atmosphere, and is featured in a later stage in I think Episode 3 called House of Pain as well. That stage like many featured a lot of impaled corpses, hanging severed body parts, and generally very nasty things happening to those less fortunate than our beloved Doomguy.

Why bother mentioning this, well, this song nailed that atmosphere, perhaps almost too well, I'm not going to lie, I was pretty put off by the lyrical content, which, I believe is a compliment since the intention was presumably to disturb. That it did, so well done!

I liked the outro which brought the source tune more to the forefront as well, that, and it was downright peaceful compared to the middle part of the song :lol: . This mix also makes The Dark Side of Phobos, and Delta-Q-Delta seem like good harmless fun, and please don't take that the wrong way because I absolutely dig both of those albums, just saying, different atmospheres for the most part!

Truly a scary mix which conveys a lot of atmosphere, I don't think it will mean anywhere near as much to those who have not played Doom, but it certainly resonated with me.

Dang. djpretzel wasn't lying when he said it was "dark." Very disturbing vibe, and very reminiscent of the dark and dirty metal sounds that you hear in DooM. The decapitation recitation is sinister, and I definitely need to listen to it again to figure out exactly what is said.

Superb job, as a big fan of darker metal (Children of Bodom, Cradle of Filth, etc) I thoroughly enjoyed this one, and hope to see more from Kadmium.

Yeeeeah... the next time I feel a need to have a good, old-fashioned nightmare, I'm just going to loop my media player on this song and go to sleep listening to it.

Seriously though, the goal of a "dark" and "thick" piece was definitely accomplished here - maybe even too well, although I can't say I was truly disturbed by the piece, as seems to be the general consensus. (Then again, I don't disturb easily. :sleepzzz:) But it definitely evokes a barren, wasteland kind of landscape, the kind you'd do anything to not get caught in, or, worse, stranded in. Well done.

Been a while since I've seen Kadmium on the scene. Since VGMix went down, all my Kadmium mixes went missing and I had no way to get them back.

This is MUCH better than the original Asphyxiated Soul which I disliked. The guitar is so much heavier in this, and particularly the vocals are much better. Where they were screechy in the original, they're dark, deep and terrifying in this one. The kick is still very weak, which I've found in all of Kadmium's mixes that I've heard. But it doesn't detract from how enjoyable it is.

Now, could we please have Kill the Wabbit on OCReMix, Kadmium? I miss that song more than I miss not having to shave as a kid.

Ahh Kadmium, one of my favourite remixers of all time; I'm happy to see you here on OCR :) .

I remember this track from DoD 2008/04, but this is a better version.

Anyway, I don't understand why you chosen this track; I personally liked it less than many other remixes of you :)

Great work, hope to hear more =)

I'll start off by saying that I'm not interested in this type of music at all, so I will stick with commenting more objectively.

That being said, I can start by saying that the mix absolutely achieves what it sets out to do. If you want a dark mix that makes you feel abosolutely hopeless, than this is exactly what you need. The mood is conveyed very well. Screaming vocals, evil lyrics, breathless females, it's got all the right things to make you feel depressed. The background, especially when it gets more sparse and subtle does a nice job of this as well.

Good work with this mix, although I won't be listening more than once.

The words are a Santanic Mantra for anybody who doesn't know or was confused. It's also in Acid Bath's Paegan Terroristism Tactics. But besides that, this is the best remix I've ever heard on OCR. Do all the DOOM songs man, keep going. Your not finished.

Dude, I've been a fan of the original since I found it a couple of years back in some hole-in-the-wall site of "Doom Remixes;" I almost didn't download this version thinking that it was just the original having finally been posted here on OCRemix! The production quality of the original never bothered me before (I think it fit the song well, actually), and still doesn't.

To me this new version compliments the original rather than replaces it. And I can't understand others' grief with your vocals. I think they're fitting and great! Although, with this new version, an instrumental would be pretty awesome (keeping the screams and female vox intact), and would readily download it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the incredible work done on the original AND this re-recording! If you ever release an instrumental, please let me know. "Asphyxiated Soul" has been, and always will be, among my favorite Doom ReMixes. I look forward to any new work you release!

Kadmium my man!

This is truly something I didn't expect. I remember when I looked at the reviews for this remix when in it's old form and saw it was rejected I was truly very disappointed.

The new version is fantastic. I love the raw vocals and no more distortion. And the tone of your guitar playing has improved dramatically.

I can hear a lot more of that opeth influence you were talking about.

And I can understand the decapitation dialogue.

I haven't had so many chills from a song in forever.

congratulations. This might be my new favorite remix ever.

=]

I love the lyrics in the first verse.

They sound hopeless. Imagine being in the darkest of mindsets and lost forever to it. never to feel, never to wake and ever smothered. They sound to me like scripts or thoughts of one lost for hope and will never be saved from it.

Completely and entirely alone in the abyss.

that is what hell is after all.

Word spoken with such outstanding simplicity, yet with a great poetic flair.

Shakespeare represent. haha

Uber Props Kadmium.

For any who were wondering the decapitation procedures, also stated in a song by The Black Dahlia Murder called "Apex" from the 2003 album "Unhallowed", are quoted from a writing by one Bob Arson from The Church of Euthanasia called Butchering the Human Carcass for Human Consumption.

Quoted Directly, "When the bleeding slows, preparation for decapitation can be started. Continue the cut to the throat around the entire neck, from the jawline to the back of the skull. Once muscle and ligament have been sliced away, the head can be cleanly removed by gripping it on either side and twisting it off, separation occurring where the spinal cord meets the skull. This is indicative of the method to be used for dividing other bones or joints, in that the meat should generally be cut through first with a knife, and the exposed bone then separated with a saw or cleaver. The merits of keeping the skull as a trophy are debatable for two principal reasons. First, a human skull may call suspicious attention to the new owner. Secondly, thorough cleaning is difficult due to the large brain mass, which is hard to remove without opening the skull. The brain is not good to eat. Removing the tongue and eyes, skinning the head, and placing it outside in a wire cage may be effective. The cage allows small scavengers such as ants and maggots to cleanse the flesh from the bones, while preventing it being carried off by larger scavengers, such as dogs and children. After a sufficient period of time, you may retrieve the skull and boil it in a dilute bleach solution to sterilize it and wash away any remaining tissue. Skinning: After removing the head, wash the rest of the body down. Because there is no major market for human hides, particular care in removing the skin in a single piece is not necessary, and makes the task much easier."

Nice little addition. =]

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01865 - Doom "Asphyxiated Soul"