Metroid Prime ReMix- The Hope of The Galaxy

I dunno, Metroid Prime Ribs is mildly amusing.

I'd say not to give a name that directly links it to the game at all, honestly. The way this site is organized, folks will already know what game it's linked to. Or something linked, but in another language. Musica Optimus just turns into Prime Music in Latin.

OPTIMUS PRIME. xD

I dunno... I'm not good at naming songs... I'm good at naming people with cool names, but I can't do songs... XD (especially since there are no lyrics, just makes a whole lot harder)

Don't wanna sound overly harsh, but most of the samples just sounded MIDI-ish, especially the drums, like standard soundfont stuff- I'm guessing you're using FL so why not play around with Sitrus a bit and see what y'get? Also I'd advise messing around with the "Love Filter" as well- awesome stuff. Reverb on the drums would be nice, how about a bit of distortion too? 'Part from that, nice atmosphere- definitely suits the part.

I think if you submitted now you wouldn't get accepted- and you wanna make it a surefire YES. It's the soundfonts and soundscape really... How about some sweeping pads to fill the thing out too? ^___^ We need more prime mixes after all. As for a name... Hrmmmm... No idea, I'll edit if I think of anything!

Good luck!

Don't wanna sound overly harsh, but most of the samples just sounded MIDI-ish, especially the drums, like standard soundfont stuff- I'm guessing you're using FL so why not play around with Sitrus a bit and see what y'get? Also I'd advise messing around with the "Love Filter" as well- awesome stuff. Reverb on the drums would be nice, how about a bit of distortion too? 'Part from that, nice atmosphere- definitely suits the part.

I think if you submitted now you wouldn't get accepted- and you wanna make it a surefire YES. It's the soundfonts and soundscape really... How about some sweeping pads to fill the thing out too? ^___^ We need more prime mixes after all. As for a name... Hrmmmm... No idea, I'll edit if I think of anything!

Good luck!

XD

1. I don't use love philter

2. I can't afford Sytrus.

3. Tell me what MIDI-ish means and maybe I'll understand what you're telling me... til then, my sounds are fine.

4. Most importantly I'm not gonna use synthesizers. I hate most synthesizers.

5. From your crit, I can automatically tell my soundscape is fine, it's just that you want me to replace everything with synths because you're an electronica fan.

"I think if you submitted now..."

You're not a judge, so don't give me that "It's not gonna get accepted" stuff.

I live next door to someone who can tell me that... you just worry about critiquing my remix.

And don't worry about being too harsh... you only have to worry about that when you're Snappleman level.

Title idea:

A Chozian Legend

Because the songs sort has a mythical story telling feel to it.

I had a question / concern; when you filter the drums line (cause there are moments when it sounds like you do [~0:24 till ~0:44 is the first moment]) is there any way to either make that effect a more noticeable effect or rather deliberate sounding? IMO the way you have it filtering now sounds like an engineering accident. Ideas: maybe add a flanger on top of the filtering moments to add a washing sound to it, or run a low cut filter as well so we get a more "old-time radio" effect. Just a polishing suggestion / ideas I'm trying to throw at you.

I totally love the clavi-tone / harpsichord instrument you use.

And awesome job on the choir (at least making sound like the Prime choirs).

OPTIMUS PRIME. xD

I dunno... I'm not good at naming songs... I'm good at naming people with cool names, but I can't do songs... XD (especially since there are no lyrics, just makes a whole lot harder)

You're Darkesword's brother? O-o I am amazed. That does explain the Metroid Prime music, though they are great songs in general and I'm even more amazed not a lot of people have remixed them further.

I've got even less experience than you, but I am a very big fan of what your brother does. I like beats.

That said, I'm not going to compare the two of you.

And Woot! ^_^ I'm glad my suggestion helped.

I am curious what would happen if you saved what you have, then went back and changed all the instruments around (if that's possible).

Title idea:

A Chozian Legend

Because the songs sort has a mythical story telling feel to it.

I had a question / concern; when you filter the drums line (cause there are moments when it sounds like you do [~0:24 till ~0:44 is the first moment]) is there any way to either make that effect a more noticeable effect or rather deliberate sounding? IMO the way you have it filtering now sounds like an engineering accident. Ideas: maybe add a flanger on top of the filtering moments to add a washing sound to it, or run a low cut filter as well so we get a more "old-time radio" effect. Just a polishing suggestion / ideas I'm trying to throw at you.

I totally love the clavi-tone / harpsichord instrument you use.

And awesome job on the choir (at least making sound like the Prime choirs).

Thanks. I was gonna take out that filtering. It didn't give the effect I wanted (it sorta just drowned out the drums) I'm just gonna pull it out.

You're Darkesword's brother? O-o I am amazed. That does explain the Metroid Prime music, though they are great songs in general and I'm even more amazed not a lot of people have remixed them further.

I've got even less experience than you, but I am a very big fan of what your brother does. I like beats.

That said, I'm not going to compare the two of you.

And Woot! ^_^ I'm glad my suggestion helped.

I am curious what would happen if you saved what you have, then went back and changed all the instruments around (if that's possible).

xD Don't think so highly of me.

And as for soundscape replacement: It's not gonna happen. Shariq told me some stuff sounds thin but that's no reason to slap an electronica label on it and go buy Sytrus samples to redo my song.

Midi-ish = [X] Low-quality samples, most often.

I don't have sound at the moment so I can't clarify this claim, right now - I might give it another go tonight.

That's okay I already got an explanation from someone.

XD

1. I don't use love philter

2. I can't afford Sytrus.

3. Tell me what MIDI-ish means and maybe I'll understand what you're telling me... til then, my sounds are fine.

4. Most importantly I'm not gonna use synthesizers. I hate most synthesizers.

5. From your crit, I can automatically tell my soundscape is fine, it's just that you want me to replace everything with synths because you're an electronica fan.

"I think if you submitted now..."

You're not a judge, so don't give me that "It's not gonna get accepted" stuff.

I live next door to someone who can tell me that... you just worry about critiquing my remix.

And don't worry about being too harsh... you only have to worry about that when you're Snappleman level.

Right! You sounded kinda mad- didn't mean to be offensive or anything dude!

1. It's pretty damn neat, you should try it out.

2. Oh right, fair enough.

3. As in, they don't sound real. The drums and piano for instance sound fake.

4. That's fair enough, but you're using synth sounding stuff in your piece anyway.

5. And whoa! Seriously! Double check! Didn't mean that- I was just elaborating on some of your previous criticisms. It doesn't feel thick enough. I'm not so much an electronica fan as anything else y'know, don't assume. You can do what you like, I'm not writing your piece for you, these are suggestions.

Yes, I am not a judge- but that doesn't mean I can't give my opinion. Surely this is what you're aiming for so it's part of the critique in itself; a quality barrier if you will. Next time don't take that so harsh, remember you don't HAVE to listen to anyone- and that goes for anyone, don't tell me what I can or can't critique on.

Ah, finished. ^__^

Right! You sounded kinda mad- didn't mean to be offensive or anything dude!

1. It's pretty damn neat, you should try it out.

2. Oh right, fair enough.

3. As in, they don't sound real. The drums and piano for instance sound fake.

4. That's fair enough, but you're using synth sounding stuff in your piece anyway.

5. And whoa! Seriously! Double check! Didn't mean that- I was just elaborating on some of your previous criticisms. It doesn't feel thick enough. I'm not so much an electronica fan as anything else y'know, don't assume. You can do what you like, I'm not writing your piece for you, these are suggestions.

Yes, I am not a judge- but that doesn't mean I can't give my opinion. Surely this is what you're aiming for so it's part of the critique in itself; a quality barrier if you will. Next time don't take that so harsh, remember you don't HAVE to listen to anyone- and that goes for anyone, don't tell me what I can or can't critique on.

Ah, finished. ^__^

1. Pretty damn not what I'm looking for. xD You would use that in trance, not here.

2. *nods*

3. Thanks but I already got an explanation. My drums are fine, they just need more to em (i use a kick and snare simple rhythm)

4. I use like one synth for background support. XD

5. Fair enough.

I'm not telling you what you can or cannot critique on. I'm telling you that some parts of your crit are things that I don't wanna use. It's as simple as that.

And I'm also giving you a bit of advice: Don't tell someone whether you think it'll get accepted or rejected. They will take it the wrong way. If you'll excuse me I must eat some food. *throws tomato*

If someone can hear that something doesn't have a snowballs chance in somewhere hot to get accepted, they should say it. Otherwise they can say whether they _think_ it'll get accepted or get to the panel or not... which is what ProtoDome did. As for me, I think it would get on the panel, just not get YESed. Yet.

The progressions sounds ok to me, there's definitely source enough in there, but it sounds bare. Drums need some work, the tambourine isn't really working for me. Not as the main high-range rhythm instrument, at least. Perhaps a shaker rhythm would work, in addition to the tambourine. Having the tambourine louder than snare and bass drum is not a good idea, btw. :P

You'll also have to work on your transitions, like the one at 2:12 which goes from a chorus part to a breakdown with no warning and very little transitions. The two rhythms are different, so you'll have to take that into account when transitioning too. A pretty harsh transition is probably the way to go, but it still needs to flow right. Atm, it doesn't. Other transitions needing work are 1:11 (needs more punctuation, but the pause works well), and 2:30 (rhythm just disappears, a final kick and a crash might be enough).

There's something strangely caribbean about the ending, must be the marimba- and bottle-like backing stuff. Nothing wrong with that. :D

Drums and transitions are the main weak parts here, tho other areas could use some work too. Some of the instruments (like the piano) doesn't really mesh with the soundscape, it stands out a little too much for my liking. Could be an EQ thing, a sample/sound thing, or just needing a little more reverb and a little less dry signal. Some parts could use some more interesting writing, rhythmically or melodically, but these are mainly just personal preference things. Drums and transitions are the big problems.

Nice work, btw, it's come along nicely.

And I'm also giving you a bit of advice: Don't tell someone whether you think it'll get accepted or rejected.
No, that's terrible advice, bro - telling someone that something will not pass the J's is perfectly sound advice, as long as they provide the crits to back it up and allow you to improve. You said you were going to submit because you thought it was good enough, and someone else came back and told you that it wasn't (for good reasons, might I add - I'll elaborate in a second). Your DS's little brother - great! Unfortunately, he is only one of many judges, so even if he gave you a thumbs up it doesn't mean it will pass, necessarily (also, since he's your brother his opinion could very well be biased, so I'd take it with a little salt, if he says something - I'm not accusing him, as he could be very neutral, just giving it some thought if he passed this).

Rozo seems to have sniper'd what I was gonna say (damn you, Rozo!).

No offense, but I don't want to see people develop a weak attitude on critiquing (which that attitude encourages). Just accept the criticism gracefully - it takes practice, but you'll develop better in the long run.

Actually, I think the soundscape is alright - it stays rather full throughout (actually, it mights be oversaturated in some places, making it muffled - but I can't tell with my headphones as they make everything sound muffled :-x) The sample quality, however, won't pass OCR's judging process. This sounds like an amazing snes soundtrack (ah, back in the day... good ol' snes), but with technology nowadays you can do better almost certainly for free. The samples are stale and hold this mix back. For example, the choir has the same attack for every note change. The fade in is good for the very first attack, but after that it's just annoying. That type of sound actually gives it a very midi quality (because midis don't allow you to change the attack of any instrument - you get what you get). A lot of the real instruments in the background sound uncharacteristic for what they are (the dulcimer being double picked, along with the piano, int he fashion that you do so is very odd for the instrument - think about what the player would need to do in order to do that and realize that is isn't possible, making it sound weird). Be careful when you use sampled instruments - people will hold them to a real life standard, even when you don't intend them to be used as such.

The bass/snare action you have going there doesn't help the piece - the breakbeat sound conflicts with the atmospheric sound you otherwise have going. I'd like to see a version without the drums and see if that helps at all (the toms are actually nice - they add to the atmosphere well). It's a conflict of interests, in a bad way.

I can't say anything about the EQ 'cause my headphones absolutely suck, so sorry if I can't help there, right now.

It does sound nice though - keep it up :).

If someone can hear that something doesn't have a snowballs chance in somewhere hot to get accepted, they should say it. Otherwise they can say whether they _think_ it'll get accepted or get to the panel or not... which is what ProtoDome did. As for me, I think it would get on the panel, just not get YESed. Yet.

The progressions sounds ok to me, there's definitely source enough in there, but it sounds bare. Drums need some work, the tambourine isn't really working for me. Not as the main high-range rhythm instrument, at least. Perhaps a shaker rhythm would work, in addition to the tambourine. Having the tambourine louder than snare and bass drum is not a good idea, btw. :P

You'll also have to work on your transitions, like the one at 2:12 which goes from a chorus part to a breakdown with no warning and very little transitions. The two rhythms are different, so you'll have to take that into account when transitioning too. A pretty harsh transition is probably the way to go, but it still needs to flow right. Atm, it doesn't. Other transitions needing work are 1:11 (needs more punctuation, but the pause works well), and 2:30 (rhythm just disappears, a final kick and a crash might be enough).

There's something strangely caribbean about the ending, must be the marimba- and bottle-like backing stuff. Nothing wrong with that. :D

Drums and transitions are the main weak parts here, tho other areas could use some work too. Some of the instruments (like the piano) doesn't really mesh with the soundscape, it stands out a little too much for my liking. Could be an EQ thing, a sample/sound thing, or just needing a little more reverb and a little less dry signal. Some parts could use some more interesting writing, rhythmically or melodically, but these are mainly just personal preference things. Drums and transitions are the big problems.

Nice work, btw, it's come along nicely.

No, that's terrible advice, bro - telling someone that something will not pass the J's is perfectly sound advice, as long as they provide the crits to back it up and allow you to improve. You said you were going to submit because you thought it was good enough, and someone else came back and told you that it wasn't (for good reasons, might I add - I'll elaborate in a second). Your DS's little brother - great! Unfortunately, he is only one of many judges, so even if he gave you a thumbs up it doesn't mean it will pass, necessarily (also, since he's your brother his opinion could very well be biased, so I'd take it with a little salt, if he says something - I'm not accusing him, as he could be very neutral, just giving it some thought if he passed this).

Rozo seems to have sniper'd what I was gonna say (damn you, Rozo!).

No offense, but I don't want to see people develop a weak attitude on critiquing (which that attitude encourages). Just accept the criticism gracefully - it takes practice, but you'll develop better in the long run.

Actually, I think the soundscape is alright - it stays rather full throughout (actually, it mights be oversaturated in some places, making it muffled - but I can't tell with my headphones as they make everything sound muffled :-x) The sample quality, however, won't pass OCR's judging process. This sounds like an amazing snes soundtrack (ah, back in the day... good ol' snes), but with technology nowadays you can do better almost certainly for free. The samples are stale and hold this mix back. For example, the choir has the same attack for every note change. The fade in is good for the very first attack, but after that it's just annoying. That type of sound actually gives it a very midi quality (because midis don't allow you to change the attack of any instrument - you get what you get). A lot of the real instruments in the background sound uncharacteristic for what they are (the dulcimer being double picked, along with the piano, int he fashion that you do so is very odd for the instrument - think about what the player would need to do in order to do that and realize that is isn't possible, making it sound weird). Be careful when you use sampled instruments - people will hold them to a real life standard, even when you don't intend them to be used as such.

The bass/snare action you have going there doesn't help the piece - the breakbeat sound conflicts with the atmospheric sound you otherwise have going. I'd like to see a version without the drums and see if that helps at all (the toms are actually nice - they add to the atmosphere well). It's a conflict of interests, in a bad way.

I can't say anything about the EQ 'cause my headphones absolutely suck, so sorry if I can't help there, right now.

It does sound nice though - keep it up :).

I guess I misread, I read it again and I was horribly wrong. xD

I never really paid attention to the "I think" part. XD

I just saw "not gonna get accepted" and overreacted... *sigh* I'm not very good at talking to people.

And nowhere did I say I thought it was good enough to be accepted.

There you guys go again, misunderstanding me like you always do. It's not your fault. It's mine. I KNOW.

I'm not mature enough to post here. Ya know what? I know that every bit of what you guys is true.

I'm not gonna lie. I HATE HEARING what you guys say. Absolutely. HATE IT.

But I'm trying to suck it up because you're trying to help me.

All I can say is: Deal with it. You've done your job, you don't need to stick around to listen to my crap. Do I deserve a ban? Probably. Why? Because I am being a little brat. Am I being a jerk by posting my crap on other people's threads? Probably. Can I undo everything I said? NO, I can't. I don't know what to do right now. I probably just have to get older so I can stop being such a little brat.

Did I just realize all of this? No, I've known about my behavior problems for quite a while. I can't do anything to fix it except wait.

Actually we have three Metroid Prime Remixes, and all of them by my brother (you can see why I want to do one as well)

I feel... mighty unobservant. I don't know how I managed to miss Torvus Clockwork and Yellow Valkyrie. I also didn't know DarkeSword was your brother. You have quite a name to live up to, but it certainly looks like you're moving in the right direction.

And as for the name, how about "A Hunter's Journey" because it is the themes of all three Metroid Prime games which is her entire journey (as for as Metroid Prime goes) Or how about "Hit The Start Button You Moron..."
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, but couldn't manage to say it. "A Hunter's Beginning" makes you think of the very beginning, I.E. just the theme from the first Metroid Prime. That's why I like A Hunter's Journey.

There you guys go again, misunderstanding me like you always do. It's not your fault. It's mine. I KNOW.

I'm not mature enough to post here. Ya know what? I know that every bit of what you guys is true.

All I can say is: Deal with it. You've done your job, you don't need to stick around to listen to my crap. Do I deserve a ban? Probably. Why? Because I am being a little brat. Am I being a jerk by posting my crap on other people's threads? Probably. Can I undo everything I said? NO, I can't. I don't know what to do right now. I probably just have to get older so I can stop being such a little brat.

Did I just realize all of this? No, I've known about my behavior problems for quite a while. I can't do anything to fix it except wait.

Dude, you're 13. I prefer to not be reminded of what kind of traces *I* left on the net at that age.

It's pretty usual for a 13 yr old to be bad at taking criticism, so I wouldn't worry too much. (Your tongue-in-cheek detector is going to improve automatically, too ;))

Been listening to the mix while reading the thread. Not familiar with the sources, but it sounded quite pleasant in the background.

Soundfonts &lots of Reverb, quite the Darkesword approach ;)

Drums definitely need work, bit boring. To me, the individual hits are too abrupt and separated from one another for the tunes' style, doesn't sound natural.

Let me say this too: Your sounds aren't bad, but none of them really stand out either.

With the sounds you're using and the way you're using them, you really gotta amaze the judges with your arrangements in order to get on the site.

As becoming an OCRemixer seems to be a major goal for you, you either have to get really good at making mediocre samples sound awesome (Assloads of Reverb/Delay aren't always enough for that), or get some commercial ones sooner or later.

Keep at it, you clearly have talent.

You can help people and give them suggestions without taking potshots at me or anyone else. Don't use the excuse that you're joking; in light of your past comments and behavior, you've lost any kind of leeway to joke around about people.

That's odd, so many other ppl can get away with shitting on other ppl around here and don't get so much as a slap on the wrist, so to speak. In retrospect, I've taken a ton of crap by plenty of people on the forums, yet you don't see me flipping out over the mild stuff (anymore). If my past comments damn me so, then heck, half of the other ppl on this site should be damned too, albeit, for other reasons than bashing the mods and creator of the site.

Anyways, yeah, this track does "suffer" from a few flaws. The beat to me is fine, and I suppose that it's a little bit barren in terms of the soundscape - but considering Neblix's age and skill level, I don't think you guys are giving him enough credit...

Dude...

You're 13. I barely even liked music when I was 13. I certainly didn't make any. In no way could I mix it. if it's any help, imagine how you'll sound in a few years.

And remember that a lot of ppl older than you come here and show that they don't have the thick skin they should have. You're doing fine, kid. Especially considering you're still a kid. :D

Dude...

You're 13. I barely even liked music when I was 13. I certainly didn't make any. In no way could I mix it. if it's any help, imagine what you'll sound in a few years.

And remember that a lot of ppl older than you come here and show that they don't have the thick skin they should have.

Like me in my first year :<

Wait a second...

D'OH!!!

=p what about Metroid Prime: Prime Axiom (for the track name)

Dude, you're 13. I prefer to not be reminded of what kind of traces *I* left on the net at that age.

It's pretty usual for a 13 yr old to be bad at taking criticism, so I wouldn't worry too much. (Your tongue-in-cheek detector is going to improve automatically, too ;))

I can vouch that all of this was true for me. All of it. Except the tongue-in-cheek part. That, I was always good at. Always. (Not really, lol. I'm just demonstrating tongue-in-cheek humor. :D)

just keep workin on this mix. we wanna hear what you have to make.

You need to stop posting crap like this and just focus on your remix. If someone tells you something you don't like, just ignore it. Don't even address it. Don't argue about it; it's your song, not theirs. You can do what you want.

Stop getting mad and stop getting all dramatic. Just post updates on your mix.

You need to stop posting crap like this and just focus on your remix. If someone tells you something you don't like, just ignore it. Don't even address it. Don't argue about it; it's your song, not theirs. You can do what you want.

Stop getting mad and stop getting all dramatic. Just post updates on your mix.

Otherwise you'll become another HoboKa :tomatoface: