Valkyrie Profile mix- first try, help?

Artemis

Hi Artemis. I'm a bit of a noob too, so first of all, keep it up! I like the sound of this, I think some of the flute parts in the background, the ones that flutter around a bit, they could be brought into the mix just a hair more, and there is lots happening in the higher frequency at times, it gets a bit too muddy there.

Hopefully you garnish some more expert advice here from some others too!

Harp is loud and in the foreground, too much compared to the flute and strings that are much more subtle. Bells kind'a suffer the same. Sounds like I'm sitting next to the bells while the flute in in the other end of the house. Needs some front-back placement work.

It's sweet and has a nice mood. Reminds me of a couple of sd3 tracks, must be the harp. :D Repetition might be a problem, and I'm guessing this is kind'a conservative (which, if I'm right, is also a problem if you're aiming for ocr).

Okay, it was definitely a bit monotonous... so I added

1. chord progression

2. some stereo (the harp isn't as overpowering? Maybe?)

3. a piano riff (also from Valkyrie Profile, it's part of a battle theme)

Did they help? Maybe?

img.php?fid=199

• 2 weeks later...

Valkyrie Profile! Love this game. Love the music.

Hm... I wish I was better at wording things when it came to music and could actually tell what instrument was what, but I can't. So I kinda have to be vague with this.

The harp? I don't mind. It's.. everything else. Well, not the flute so much. But when the strings hit, they just don't mesh well for me. It just doesn't sound.. good? I wish I could offer actual advice for improvement, but you'd have to ask someone who knows what they're doing. :s

That little.. tinkling sound annoys me too. If it were softer and more in the background, I think I could deal with it. As is, it's kinda up front and center, with the occasional note that's particularly loud compared to the rest.

Overall, I like the beginning, and the harp, but it just kinda peters out from then on, for me. And I can't *clearly* pick the source out - but that could be my own failings right there. I'm not trying to be discouraging or a d-bag or anything. Just don't think it'd help if I wasn't honest. I'm hoping you work with this a bit more, see what you can come up with.

That little.. tinkling sound annoys me too. If it were softer and more in the background, I think I could deal with it. As is, it's kinda up front and center, with the occasional note that's particularly loud compared to the rest.

...Yeah. It annoys me too (which is probably bad news if I'm the one creating the track). I'm not sure how to get it to not be so... high pitched? Front?

So. Question for the expert type peoples- how do you get something to sound like it's in the background? Other than panning from side to side? I've tried reducing the volume of the track, but some higher pitched notes just stick out.

...Yeah. It annoys me too (which is probably bad news if I'm the one creating the track). I'm not sure how to get it to not be so... high pitched? Front?

So. Question for the expert type peoples- how do you get something to sound like it's in the background? Other than panning from side to side? I've tried reducing the volume of the track, but some higher pitched notes just stick out.

You could probably reduce the impact of the chimes by EQ'ing down some of the high frequencies, and maybe decreasing the level and adding reverb. What you have now is basically what chimes sound like, though -- chimes always cut through and call attention to themselves. I think the better solution would be to change the instrument rather than try to change how the chimes sound. Pizzicato violins, maybe?

It might be a good idea to swap the harp line out to some other instrument (probably strings) at some point in the music; I think it gets a little repetitive.

Right at 2:00-2:05 (and in other places) the strings sound like they have a sustain pedel held on them or something, with a lot of blurring together in the melody. It makes it sound more like a synth string pad than an actual string section. There's also frequently a crescendo that happens in the strings over the course of a measure that suddenly drops back down when the notes are re-sounded in the subsequent measure; you might tweak the attack/sustain properties of your string sound so it starts louder and doesn't build as it's held.

The piano and harmonic variation are nice additions from the first version.