Link:

* Your ReMixer name: Andy Kelley

* Your real name: Andy Kelley

* Your email address: superjoe30@gmail.com

* Your website: http://www.superjoesoftware.com/

* Your userid: 16537

* Name of game(s) arranged: California Games

* Name of individual song(s) arranged: Title Theme

* Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

o System: Sega Genesis

o Composer: ??

+ Mark Jansen? It was in the midi, but that may have been the midi author.

* Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

o http://project2612.org/details.php?id=529

* Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

o I used to play this game just to sit there on the title screen and listen to the music. When you selected another button it made a cool ticking sound too, so I could pretend I was a DJ just by moving the cursor around on the title screen. Nobody else remixed this song, so I had to.

---------------------------------------------------------------

http://project2612.org/download.php?id=529 - 01 "Title Theme"

Pretty chill opening. The synths at :23, :36 & :48 were generic, and the textures were pretty basic and bland. 1:18 had more energy though. Pretty much at any point though, the synth design was vanilla, and that held back an otherwise decent arrangement.

Some of the supporting instrumentation changed throughout the track, but from 2:29-on, we basically heard the same lead ideas recycled over and over, so the latter half of the track wasn't interesting.

The basic premise was definitely headed in the right direction and shows promise, Andy, but this mix needs more sophisticated sounds and a further developed arrangement.

NO

Nothing wrong with analogue-sounding synths. I had no beef with the sound design here actually. My main issue is how you use said sounds. The track sounds empty and unfocused because of the mixing. For example after the build at 1:42 you expect something huge but instead we find an overpowered kick+hat combo, downplayed bass and two synths occupying the same sonic space. I'd like to see you try some other sounds that aren't as similar to eachother so you can really fill out the track. Right now, it sounds empty.

Arrangement wasn't bad. Some nice personalization going on but you need to evolve your ideas ove the timeline. Copy+paste isn't a viable arrangement and overall your track doesn't sound cohesive, rather it sounds like a few cool parts based on the same track put together.

Overall this needs to be developed further. You show some promise, more than many submitters, but fleshing out the track in both production and arrangement is essential for me to stamp this with the good 'ol yes vote. Keep it up though!

NO

There was a lot to like in this track, but ultimately things didn't completely click the entire time. Some sections worked and I thought were pretty awesome, and then suddenly there would be a non-transitioned new section that wasn't mixed well at all.

Overall, i'm fine with 'vanilla' synths, as long as they are well used. Texturally it started out simplistic, but melodically it was great, kept my interest until about :48 when the bottom fell out of the track, and it was just melody, bass and drums. It eventually built up to something cool, but that didn't feel right as a spot to break it down so far. It seems some of the hats that come in are excessively loud as well, making that section seem weaker by comparison.

Arrangement is basically what was said before; some really great sections, and some pretty weak sections, and that don't fully fit together. I think this is a great candidate for a resub though. Tighten up those transitions, fill out the empty spots, maybe make some of the textures a little more syncopated, and it should be good to go. :-)

no, please resub