OCR01866 - Super Mario Land "Why So Serious?"

Great stuff, tracks like this, AeroZ, Willrock, and some of AnoSou's stuff make me think we are seeing the beginning of a new OCR chip renaissance, and that sounds pretty good to me. :-)

Nice sounds and a great mood, like the game boy traveled to the future! This is like a modern take on old-school OCR; great arrangement ideas throughout.

Highly recommended. :-)

Holy crap... This is one of those mixes.. You know, the one you download and you're like how was my life complete without this? And then you listen to it for days and days and it never gets old. You wonder, how could two people turn that simple Gameboy melody into this sweet nectar that is caressing my ears so gently, making me want to fall into an eternal state of orgasmic aurel pleasure. I can't tell you because I am not a God that these two are. This is easily in my top 10 oc.r of all time.

Thanks for single-handedly demonstrating all the reasons I love video game remixes with this one mix.

Wow, awesome job you guys! Normally I'm against chiptune/lo-fi remixes, but this is definitely an exception! This is how it SHOULD be done, not overly simple!

The arrangement is absolutely creative. It feels very retro, but yet it has a big modern pop influence on it. It works very well! I absolutely love the new bass lines you've added in and how they lend well to the source's melody. The tempo changes at about 2/3 in were a nice touch and very well-timed. And the huge combination of different beeps and bloops was just as refreshing as listening to a full orchestra of instruments. In a way, it reminds me of many Katamari Damacy songs.

Overall, no complaints from me. You guys have done an excellent job rearranging one of my favorite childhood themes! I can't wait to hear more! :D

I really enjoy this track (now and when it was posted as an R:TS Mix). The beat is pumping and the melodies are really nicely arranged. That slowdown during the middle of the song is a neat part that makes the whole thing feel like some kind of slow-mo matrix leap over an enemy or something. Creative use of samples as well.

Actually, listening to this track made me wonder why there aren't more remixes from Gameboy titles.

---------------- Now playing: chthonic, halcyon - Super Mario Land: Why So Serious? R:TS Mix via FoxyTunes

• 3 weeks later...

Even only knowing the site for about a month, I already got hundreds of ReMixes (I use a dial-up connection). And chthonic works are the techno ones I liked most, BY FAR (along with some other random ones, like bLiNd's Jade Catacombs). It made me very sad to see that that he only had five ReMixes and that the last one was submitted almost 2 years ago. I thought "he was probably abducted by some aliens for his awesomeness."

Then here I am, listening some musics on my PC and one of his plays. Then I say to a friend of mine who's also a musician: "Man, it's so sad he only have 5 ReMixes and the last one is from almost 2 years ago...". Then I google his alias to see if he had a homepage or anything like that. Only to find that ChthoniC is a melodic black metal band from Taipei... So, as a rare struck of rational thought gets to my mind, I remember that there are links to the ReMixer homepage and such on their page on this very site.

And to my surprise, when I look in his page I see a "6".

Now, this' starting to become longer than I want it to be, so I'll cut the crap...

As you can see, I LOVED this guy ReMixes. He's my favorite on the techno remixes genre.

Welcome back chthonic and please, don't go on tripping with aliens again (at least not for so long).

• 4 weeks later...

This is, as rainmanbk said, one of 'those' mixes. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MIX! And actually, this was the mix that convinced me to join this site finally :razz:. One thing I did notice was that while it said that it was a mix of the second stage, it seemed to me, at least in the beginning, that it more resembled the credits music, which incidentally is also a really good song. Anyways, THANK YOU CHTHONIC AND HALCYON (ack, I keep thinking it's spelled 'Halycon')!!!! This is one of those that makes me go back and look up others by these remixers, regardless of whether I've played that game or not. And, incidentally, I find that all the ones they've done in other games I looked up were all ones I thought were good enough to keep, no exceptions.

Now to actual critiquing.

The intro was nice, with the coming in on those broken chords, and I liked how remniscent it was of the actual music. The slowdown later in the piece was a nice touch, and I also liked the 'background' type synth. As to negatives.... Well, this is one where I actually can't really catch much of anything. The coin sound was a bit annoying as it happened at irregular intervals, and was fairly quiet, making you listen harder for it, but not finding it. I also wish this had lasted longer... it seemed to end too soon, and the ending didn't really match the tone of the rest of the piece. Other than that, great job!

• 2 weeks later...
Loved this so much I played it on an episode of NGI awhile back. Nice one, dudes.

wow, i guess i never caught this. you guys are awesome - i definitely enjoyed that. and larry, you are the man.

also just a comment on this whole live collaboration situation; ben's one of my good buds - not only do we live in the same 'general' area, but we actually went to high school together and have been within that proximity ever since.

anyway, thanks! glad you guys dig our mix. you'll certainly hear from us again. :-D

This track is just awesome. Yeah it kinda has some emo kid feel to it, but that doesn't diminish the fact that is done well. I wish some of the melodies were a little louder and the bass was a little sub woofer oriented, but this is a style and mood Id like to see much more of on ocremix. Most similar tracks come off as a little too simple rave repetitive beat. This one stays true to the style with the snare drum, but has many ambient drums that just flow each part together and build up to the leading snare... ahhh its great. There is kinda this static orchestra to the whole track caused by maybe compression Idk but it creates a progression and a introduction to each new section of the song which is cool. DOWNLOAD IT. I know I did.

• 1 month later...

The arrangement's personalized every step of the way, crafting hills and valleys through natural, invigorating transitions and an expanse of old-school sounds. This in turn helps channel one's imagination as they enjoy a pleasurable romp through Retro Land. Top it all off with a calm ending of guitar strums and you have an enticing masterpiece.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember seeing this one in the judge's queue and thinking "WTF is with the hackneyed, year-old Dark Knight reference? I can't think of how this could possibly be appropriate."

Then I listened, and I realized that I was taking it too seriously myself :-P This is a plain happy remix and, between the infectious dance beat and the chipper chiptune style, I can't help but feel a bit more joyous while I'm listening :-)

The subtle use of the guitar toward the end really inspires me, and I plan to blatantly rip that off in a coming collab of my own ;-)

Great Job!

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting lo-fi approach to the chiptune formula. Fuzzed production and a slew of more traditional sounding synths give this a feeling removed from the chip mixes I've heard lately. Which is actually refreshing. In exchange for oomph and clarity, there's an array of texture and density to music.

I think the mix gets better and better as it progresses; the arrangement certainly takes on a life of its own, moving into unfamiliar tangents that complement the nostalgic melodies quite nicely. This is constantly keeping things fresh, despite the fact it is the length of an average dance mix. Sustaining happy, lo-fi electronic music that long and never having it grow tedious is a commendable achievement.

The chiptune scene on the site seems to be going from strength to strength, and this very enjoyable collab mix is a definite stepping stone to the current awesomeness.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, I loved ALL of chthonic's work back in the day, and I'm so surprised and so happy to discover that a new song was made! Of course, seeing as how halc worked on it too, I'll definitely have to check out his stuff too!

In any case, this song is just as enjoyable as any other chthonic song! No gripes, always interesting, always charming, nothing short of genius! Yeah, I'm a total fanboy, and proud of it!

Great song, you two! Now I'm off to check out halc's music! :D

Seriously, I'm so excited to find more chthonic material!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01866 - Super Mario Land "Why So Serious?"
  • 4 years later...