Google Chrome OS - Drops in late 2010

Level 99

Last time I tried Chrome was right when it launched, I've always liked Google products but at the time I wasn't sold to the point that I was ready to get rid of Firefox. If it's better now, I just might have to give it another look.

The OS doesn't excite me, yet anyway.

looks worse than it ever has,

looks almost exactly the same

comments and ratings are oversimplified,

if you have any sense you'll use adblock to remove the entire ratings and comments frame from every video

and I can't even remember the last time I've been able to watch a video that doesn't choke a fourth of the way through it.

you need better internet

looks almost exactly the same

I suppose if you're referring to the general placement of the video, then sure.

if you have any sense you'll use adblock to remove the entire ratings and comments frame from every video

while I don't waste a lot of time with comments, occasionally there's a few videos that I enjoy reading comments on

you need better internet

12 Mbps and I need better? I doubt that.

Skimmed through the topic and was surprised I didn't see anything about the Live CDs floating around.

This guy by the name of Hexxeh has been releasing Live CD versions of Chrome OS for awhile now. Something to check out if you're bored and have a free blank disc (or USB stick).

It's really not that great.... I suspect it's mainly because these releases are hack jobs put together. It's really slow to boot, but once it gets going it's basically chrome with a few extra tabs. The Google official release will no doubt be much more solid. But it's something to wet your appetite with.

http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

If anyone cares, http://www.xpud.org/ is a similar Linux project but is Firefox based. It could also use some polishing, but it's snappy as hell on my little Atom Netbook.

I find it funny how people will say how Microsoft is a monopoly, yet Google has the most popular search engine, both Google Video and Youtube, their own browser, and now an OS. Does no one see that Google is quickly becoming a major force in anything to do with computer software?

YOU'RE NOT ALONE.

Google solicited my town for the sake of testing their new product "Google Fiber" which streams at speeds up to 1Gbps. That's not the thing that got my attention. The thing that amped my antennae was the fact that other service providers such as AT&T or Charter would have to adhere to them for such services. Monopoly in the disguise of a first-hand primary service...

Ads in Youtube don't bother me. They gotta pay for keeping all that bandwith somehow I guess.

I slowed my internet down a few megs not long ago because I don't play online games, I only stream Netflix from the Wii (and it doesn't bother it), and I use it for paying the bills/web surfing. Not exactly much in terms of important things at all.

That's probably just me though...

Why? How is that at all exciting?

Couldn't you just use another Linux distro on a netbook?

I just don't really see the appeal besides maybe fast boot time.

It's exciting perhaps more in a geeky sense than in the minds of the average end-user.

The difference for me between Chrome OS and any Linux distro is that there's greater name recognition behind Google than there is behind Canonical/Ubuntu (it doesn't help that nobody knows how to say it when they see it, either). Plus, this is a somewhat new paradigm, or at least the first time a major player is advancing a browser-based OS that is garnering serious public interest.

You could still use any linux distro on a netbook. You'd also probably have to set it up yourself.

And just like most linux distros, it can be used with an ARM processor instead of an x86 one, resulting in a netbook with less power consumption (at the expense of less processing power, though I imagine with optimizations and some application control, you wouldn't notice) needing less battery capacity (and maybe less board space too) resulting in a smaller, lighter computer that can run just as long as long-lasting netbooks of today. You could buy ARM netbooks now (for whatever reason i think they're called smartbooks...don't ask me why), but there aren't many. Again, this is where just the name "Google" can cause change.

All that said, I don't see myself using this on a netbook... maybe on a tablet. Maybe. (ZOMG HPalm webOS tablets!!!)