Natural Selection II

Little_Bill

Haven't played Natural Selection in months but it was one of my favourite HL mods. I've been following the development of NS2 off and on for the last few years. I'm at work so I can't watch the link you posted, but I've been pretty impressed with what I've been seeing from the team so far.

I'm actually a little irritated with Natural Selection so far.

Maybe I just need to join servers with more people on them so I'm not myself against two enemies, but the respawn time is also a little grumblesome.

TFC made me impatient :P

OMG Natural Selection is like the most fun mod ever. I must play this!

There's nothing quite like setting up a strategy as commander and having your squads communicate and actually pull out a victory through teamwork. It's so satisfying when your RTS units are actual people and trust you enough to follow your orders.

I'm actually a little irritated with Natural Selection so far.

Maybe I just need to join servers with more people on them so I'm not myself against two enemies, but the respawn time is also a little grumblesome.

TFC made me impatient :P

The problem with NS now is that the last few times I picked it up it seemed the community had either largely moved on or switched to combat games which are not what Natural Selection was originally about. It was just a hybrid RTS & FPS game when it came out, though saying "it was just" doesn't do it justice. Sadly, when I last played it wasn't easy to find a more traditional game, despite it being far superior to the combat mode in my opinion. When you got a good team together with a decent commander and plenty of communication there was no other experience quite like it, and still isn't to this day if you ask me.

It's planned for a standalone. It's estimated release is Fall 09 with a cost of 20$ and 40$ (Black Marine Armor and access to Alpha). If you preorder now you can participate in the Beta when it's available.

And it's true that the majority of the community moved to Combat. It's a pity though, because the real game was so worth learning in order to play. Their approach to NS2 now, however, is to find a legitimate balance between different classes. The onos, instead of becoming a running devouring machine is going from dps/tank to tank/support and a little bit dps. They took out devour and put in a bone shield (I'm thinking a half sphere) so they can wipe out stalemates at certain points in games.

• 1 year later...

Rise from your grave, o thread.

NS2 was released on Steam in May; well, the engine test and level editor, at any rate. You needed a pre-order code to get access.

Today is your last chance to pre-order the Special Edition, because alpha's coming down the pipe as I write this. Read the full release here.

Rise from your grave, o thread.

NS2 was released on Steam in May; well, the engine test and level editor, at any rate. You needed a pre-order code to get access.

Today is your last chance to pre-order the Special Edition, because alpha's coming down the pipe as I write this. Read the full release here.

Got my SE pre-ordered a few days ago. Between messing around with the NS alpha and the release of StarCraft 2, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to have a social life for a week or two.