2.53GHz sounds like more than enough. I've got 2.4 on my desktop mac, and I've never had much trouble with it, can't remember any audio-related.

Logic 8 went for a "clutter-free" design, screwing with what I was used to and making it pretty annoying to work with on a 1280*768 (or whatever my laptop resolution is, don't remember), but probably more so because I was used with Logic 7. Since you're probably starting from no Logic experience you probably won't get as annoyed.

As for what it comes with, Logic Studio gives you the Jam Packs which are pretty good sample packs, plus a bunch of synths. Express comes without those jam Packs and with only some of the synths, but the included ES2 can do lots of cool sounds and have a library of different, mostly useful, presets; and it's not the only synth you get. Besides, you can find some useful free Audio Unit synths out there. Anyway, you should look up whatever sound demos you can find on apple's Logic pages. They're at least bragging about having 1300 sampled instruments.

Studio

Express

Out of the two, I'd recommend Studio. You get so much more for not that much higher a cost. I got Express. Stupid.

One other thing has to do with programs. I've been looking into Logic and it seems like a really solid choice, but I'm wondering about its usability out of the box as far as samples and sounds go.

Logic Studio is probably (probably) the most usable music program out of the box, with maybe a close second to reason (but imo logic has much better orchestral samples).

You will not be able to use your vsts at all, unless they are also available in AU format, which some are, so do check first. I know there *is* a way to use soundfonts (i think you just convert them into the format that works with the logic sampler), but the process is a bit messy, and you need a windows computer to do any uncompressing.

Regardless, I reccomend logic, its quite intuative and fairly easy to get used to coming from another DAW. Macbook pro's I would've highly recommended a few months ago before mine broke out of warranty. If you do buy one for craps sake get the 3 year apple care, it is definately worth the money.

I know there *is* a way to use soundfonts (i think you just convert them into the format that works with the logic sampler), but the process is a bit messy, and you need a windows computer to do any uncompressing.

Just fyi, .sf2 soundfonts work fine in EXS24 (Logic's built-in sampler). .sfz and/or .sfpack soundfonts don't work with Logic directly.

So I'm thinking of getting a Macbook Pro this summer for a bunch of reasons (school, etc. means getting a desktop isn't really practical), which would be a switch because I've never owned a Mac before. I'd like to be able to use it to make music, too, but I was wondering about a couple things...

Basically, is it powerful enough to make music competently? I'd probably be looking at ones in the $1500 range, so there's a couple considerations. Like, is a 2.66 GHz processor faster enough than a 2.53 GHz to make it worth $300 extra (other than hard drive size, the two are the same)? And if not, should I just go for the 13" model with the same hardware specs to save myself a little dough, or am I going to want a bigger screen to save myself a little hassle?

One other thing has to do with programs. I've been looking into Logic and it seems like a really solid choice, but I'm wondering about its usability out of the box as far as samples and sounds go. Do the synths and samples it comes with sound good enough to start making some legit music, or are they not worth bothering with? Also, I've built up a little library of free soundfonts and a couple synth VST's on this computer. Will replacing them with comparable stuff in Logic be a pain in the ass? I'm mostly worried about some pretty decent sounding orchestral soundfonts I've found and stuff like that, so that's my biggest concern.

Sorry for the overload of questions - thanks for any advice!

I have a 15" Mac Book Pro with Logic Pro 7:

Get the Mac. Buy as much as you can in memory and HD space, those are the ONLY areas I've had to upgrade so far and I'm going on my 4th year.

Logic Studio probably the best out-of-the-box-install-sit-down-and-go software out there (esp. for Mac). Recommend you buy a full version of it. If you want to go Garage Band or Express that is fine too, not as much usability as Logic, but when you are ready to upgrade (if ever) you can buy Logic and ALL your session will still work with everything the way you set it up in Express / Garage Band.

Also remember Boot Camp. If your not ready to leave the wonderful world of Microsoft Windows you can also partition boot camp for a Windows side to your MacBook. Now you can boot into windows and use all those VST plugs that you've grown so attached to :-P. I use it. Works fine, I can even run ProTools on the windows side with full alotment.

Edit: Memory and HD space are like the only things you can upgrade on a laptop, derr.

Look below a bit and this is a great example of what ES2 at its best can sound like:

http://www.sounds-of-revolution.com/sounds_e.html

The reverb in Logic Studio is AMAZING. I do all of my mastering and FX now in Logic and it sounds great. If you got the money for Studio the including samples along with Sculpture will ensure you will have pretty much all you need for some time. The only extra thing you might need is another synth to compliment the timbres available from the synths that come with Logic.

Not spectacular, with my experience of just Logic Express and the World and Orchestra Jam Packs, but they'll get the job done. Ultrabeat, one of Logic's synths, is a drum synth and comes with a bunch of cool electronic kits, some more useful than others. You might have a harder time making realistic sounding rock or jazz drums, but you do get samples for those too. Besides, I have no idea what's in the other Jam Packs and other samples you get with Logic Studio.

As far as samples and soundfonts go, I was mostly worried about decent orchestral sounds, since I've had a lot of fun with the ones I've got right now and it'd suck to not have any once I make the switch.

EXS24 is another fully functional sampler / synth that comes with Logic Pro and it comes with some well liked orchestral samples. I've stumped some of the older engineers with those think that is was a real piano / string section etc. I'm sure you'll love'm.

Should I be looking into any other programs instead of it, though? I know Ableton Live and Cubase are pretty popular, but I don't know a whole lot about them.

Samples come with sample libraries, not with sequencers. You use Logic or Live or whatever for the workflow, not because of its included sounds; those are a nice extra.

Get yourself a secondhand copy of NI Kontakt 2. There's the VSL Kontakt Edition library which sounds great and does your orchestral sounds without a hitch. Unlike others, you are actually allowed to do license transfers. Just don't pay for an obviously warezed version. If ESX24 has stuff included, chances are that it's better than most homebrewn soundfonts.

Edit: One other thing - does Logic come with decent drum samples? This isn't really a huge deal, but just something I was curious about for using it out-of-the-box.

Again; dedicated libraries are most likely to do better; but those are things you gradually save up for. Besides, you can synthesize drum sounds, too :).

Thanks a lot for the responses. As far as samples and soundfonts go, I was mostly worried about decent orchestral sounds, since I've had a lot of fun with the ones I've got right now and it'd suck to not have any once I make the switch.

I wouldn't call myself an orchestral arranger, but here's some old samples of some orchestral crap using logics samples.

http://fishy.escariot.net/private/Zanar.mp3

http://fishy.escariot.net/public/Battle.mp3

They're not great, but they're definately not terrible. You'd probably still want to get a good library if you're into proper orchestral arranging.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question for Fishy - are those samples you posted just the straight orchestral sounds with some velocity edits or is there a lot of other processing going on? I definitely think that's a usable quality for what I'd like to do.

I'm pretty sure all there is is EQ and the wonderful logic reverb Space Designer. There is some volume modulation going on though for dynamics.

Also, good news everyone:

I can officially endorse macbook pros again!

Apple finally accepted that nVidea screwed up on some gfx cards made around when mine was and agreed to fix it for free despite being out of warrantee! I've can now say I've had no issues with my macbook that are apples fault, although they took their sweet time accepting that it was a common issue.

I also recently got a macbook pro, though to be honest I had no clue I'd want to (more seriously than before) get more serious with music.

So just to get what I've read straight...Logic Studio is just a DAW, and doesn't come with a spectacular library - dedicated sample libraries you save up for and are sold by different companies. However, not all sample libraries will transfer between DAW's due to license issues and file extensions? I'm a complete noob when it comes to digital music technology, bear with me...

So just to get what I've read straight...Logic Studio is just a DAW, and doesn't come with a spectacular library - dedicated sample libraries you save up for and are sold by different companies. However, not all sample libraries will transfer between DAW's due to license issues and file extensions? I'm a complete noob when it comes to digital music technology, bear with me...

Wrong. Logic Studio comes with a pretty big sample library and a bunch of synths and stuff like e-piano and organ simulators. All those Jam Packs for garageBand? They're included with Logic Studio.

Transfer of sample libraries is more a matter of SAMPLERS, not DAWs. With Logic (both Studio and Express) you get the EXS24 which is a pretty cool sampler. It's got all the basics, keymapping, velocity layers, lfo- and envelope routing, filters, etc... Kontakt reads EXS instruments, but EXS24 doesn't read Kontakt's native format. It's got nothing to do wit the DAW (except in cases where the bit depth is the problem), just the samplers.

So yes, while most samplers and sample libraries come from other companies than the DAW, most work with most DAWs... if you have a compatible sampler. The sampler is a virtual instrument, you input/write notes, it plays sounds.

So if you get Logic Studio, explore the sounds that comes with it before rushing off to buy other sounds and plugins.