elder scrolls II: daggerfall released for free (15 year anniversary)

prophetik music

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2009/07/09/daggerfall-now-available-for-free/

one of the better RPGs to ever come out for DOS. you'll need DOSbox to make it work, but that's easy to get and they've got a tut on how to make it work in your system.

check it out! totally worth the money :<

edit: stop changing thread titles, mods. it's not your business, there's nothing in the rules that says everything has to look pretty or some bullcrap like that. you changing what i write makes me look differently, not you.

Topic title in need of some capitalization.

And sweet! :-) I actually still have the CD-ROM for this game. It can be a little buggy, and the interface is terrible compared to today's better games, but still it's a really awesome classic. No open world game since has been quite as big as Daggerfall.

Sweeeeet! I've never played this before but I've been enjoying Bethesda's games a lot recently, have to check it out.

So there's this and EA released the original Command and Conquer for free on their website... are there any other recently-made-free classic PC games out there worth mentioning?

The controls are so bad I can't kill anything :|

I enter a room and since the camera is looking forward i don't notice the small rat right below me and it kills me? I can only kill rats and bats, everything else murders me in about 3 hits.

welcome to games back in the day. you must be a young one or something to not remember these :<

edit: who changes these damn thread titles? mine get 'adjusted' constantly. is this a mod thing? seriously? when did minimodding come back into style.

i do remember them, i played doom all the time as a kid so this camera style is familiar to me, but the design options are just horrid, like attacking mapped to the right mouse button? what the hell, you gotta flail that thing. What about casting spells? Since it determins hit or miss based on random die rolls, sometimes you see the animation, sometimes you don't and when you do, you don't know what you did to make it appear grrraargh i really want to enjoy this game but damn

The controls are so bad I can't kill anything :|

I enter a room and since the camera is looking forward i don't notice the small rat right below me and it kills me? I can only kill rats and bats, everything else murders me in about 3 hits.

You can adjust the controls to have mouselook on, plus set the keyboard keys to strafe rather than turn. It's in the options somewhere. It's pretty much a must if you're playing an archer.

As for killing things early on: I always (ALWAYS) answered the "create a character" questions in such a way that I started with an ebony dagger. Makes things much easier at the beginning. ;)

You know, this is still one of my top 10 games of all time. Loved it to death, back in the day. It's strange coincidence that this was just released for free as I was just talking about it a week or two ago, on a friend's blog. The blog was about Bethesda's decline in recent days, and how he believed its peak was Morrowind (I disagree, I think it's Daggerfall). But yeah, I professed my love for the game. Here's the copypasta:

The important thing to take away from this is that Daggerfall is the seed of good, evil, and chaotic neutral. Daggerfall is where God was born. Daggerfall is where hope goes to hope.

That’s not really the thing to take away from this. This knowledge was already there. Inside you.

A consideration, though: Daggerfall, my very favorite DOS game and still on the top 10 overall, was rife with unfinished ideas, unrealized potential and unpolished content. I still love it so much that I’m converting an old computer into a DOSbox with this specific game in mind. You know… eventually. But even with all its flaws, it’s still a favorite of mine. Is it because video games a decade later should be held to a higher standard of overall quality? Perhaps. Is it because such games are strongly laced with the pant-tightening aphrodisiac of nostalgia? Perhaps. I can’t put my finger on the exact reasons why some unpolished 90’s games are more acceptable. I do have a theory.

The DOS prompt. Seriously. Nowadays, if a game crashes, you’re given some happy little window with a happy little Windows tone, right in front of your Kim Kardashian wallpaper and your music folder and your MikeDrunkAtChurchLOL.jpg. You’re back safe, at home. And being inconvenienced in your own home? The NERVE. An inexcusable effrontery. But when Daggerfall crashes at two in the morning? And you’re given a black DOS void with a line of unintelligible hex code, and two or three random MIDI notes looping into eternity? Shit gets ominous. Shit gets real.

So, awesome Bethesda. Now quit digging the hole!