OCR01925 - *YES* Knuckles' Chaotix 'Door into Chaotix'

Liontamer

Remixer Name: Willrock

Email address: will.rock@hotmail.co.uk

Game Arranged: Knuckles Chaotix

Songs Arranged: Door into Summer

Source:

Name Of Submission: Door into Chaotix

This remix for me is a return to my old sound that I had before I joined ocr. My music used to have more of a chip-tune flavor, and I decided to make a remix in that style, utilizing techniques I learnt from my time at ocr. Basically, this is the result. It may be a little too chip-tune like for ocr, but thats the intention for this mix.

Enjoy :D

--------------------------------------------------------------

Fun fact: when I was doing Lockdown 2, Joe Redifer's Knuckles' Chaotix mix of this source was an unofficial cutoff bar of sorts on how conservative/rippish I was willing to allow something to be. (As long as there was some original/additive writing beyond a cover, I was willing to let something that old go.)

This one could have sounded a bit more sophisticated with the sounds. Not a fan of all of the instrumentation, but that was just personal preference. The textures worked pretty well regardless, IMO. The textures and arrangement actually had a very old school OCR flavor actually. The intro style alone totally took me back.

Fun stuff with Willrock's usual skills. Will's a great example of someone who can arrange a source track relatively conservatively, but not lose sense of personalizing the arrangement and adding new ideas. Looking forward to him improving and become a steady presence on the front page.

YES

Very cool track. Arrangement's fairly conservative in terms of both style and shape but there's a lot of clever personalization, both melodic and in the backing.

Production's cool but I thought the instruments could've afford to be a little bit more sophisticated, especially since they're very similar to the source's instrumentation. However the drum processing and better quality in general definitely made this sound like something more than a high-quality genesis track.

Overall, a clever track that doesn't take many risks, arrangement or production-wise, but a solid track nonetheless. I dig it Will.

YES

Production is decent, one of the nice things about chippy stuff like this is that everything is so clean, you can do some crazy arrangement stuff, and with this track, Will doesn't disappoint. Great panning, stutters, and all kinds of other tomfoolery. Nice and peppy source, and though some of the sound quality is a bit weak (specifically that bass for me), it's still carried by a strong but loyal arrangement and some cool processing ideas.

No reason to not give this a

yes

Love the sound of this actually, it's like enhanced chiptune. Reminded me of the Monkey Ball series, which has a similar style of music. The drum processing section was pretty sweet, and there were a number of trills and synth expression things I enjoyed. True, it's not gonna win awards for drastic modification of the source, but there's enough personalization here to make it a pass.

YES