Secret of Mana - Danger (Chip/Funk/Rock)

Nase

I wanted to do a Famitracker/instrumental band crossover originally, but found that too nerveracking logistically, so now it just has a NES intro.

The ending is based on 'The Orphan of Storm', the 'Victory!' tune.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?omzddfgytnz

Original:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5FR_i-EbDc

I tried to shape the original track into something less dissonant, while keeping its frantic spirit.

It's pretty liberal at times, people not familiar with the source might have a hard time getting all the links. But whenever there's no melodic/harmonic similarity going on, there's usually a rhythmic one.

Not sure about the sound yet, the compression makes it sounds pretty meaty but also a bit too muddy and squashed at times. Probably still gonna work on that.

In summary--details, yes--but it also feels like a zip compressed musical performance at the end.

The sweet changes starting at 2:02 could perhaps be taken advantage of more, especially the organ'n'bass break + brass.

2:13 -- The melodic focus seems to be diminished here--expected it to be the main focus.

Sounds good.

In summary--details, yes--but it also feels like a zip compressed musical performance at the end.

The sweet changes starting at 2:02 could perhaps be taken advantage of more, especially the organ'n'bass break + brass.

2:13 -- The melodic focus seems to be diminished here--expected it to be the main focus.

Sounds good.

Absolutely, spot on. I had the exact same feelings about the final part after I relistened the next day. Guess I rushed it a bit and wanted to get done. I think I'll add another another few measures of the 2:13 progression, vary it up and do something with the counter-melody of the original. It has to feel like a proper finale.

Thanks y'all, thanks for the support Sam :)

Damn, this is slick! You've made a rather uncatchy (but frantic) song into a catchy (and frantic) song, which is awesome. I agree that it's unfocused at the end, which detracts from the rest of the track, and the track is certainly overcompressed, in general.

No, I can't fathom why you are not an OCRemixer, yet - the stuff you put out is great!

Very cool. I guess I feel a little differently about some criticisms. The compression add lots of tension to me, which is a good thing for this frantic piece. Plus, things open up when they need to (1:52-2:10).

The melody that comes in at 2:13 feels underdeveloped at first, but it fleshes itself out and resolves nicely by the time it leaves the scene around 2:35. I think what would help it not feel so weak at first is if you hold off on the drums at 2:13 until a few measures later. They're going full steam from the get-go but the newly introduced melody is just building up momentum. IMO, that's a mismatch.

I think the ending is fine. It SMACKS of SoM flavor, especially the driving kick and snare dominated percussion palette. awesome :)

Very cool. I guess I feel a little differently about some criticisms. The compression add lots of tension to me, which is a good thing for this frantic piece. Plus, things open up when they need to (1:52-2:10).

Yes, it's more a matter of finetuning the grade of compression, maybe automating it for a few sections.

I'm a lazy bastard when it comes to production, the compressor is on the master channel ;) It sounds great to me the way it is at times like 0:37, gives the clav that nice pulsing sound, it just gets a tad heavy sometimes when more instruments join in.

The melody that comes in at 2:13 feels underdeveloped at first, but it fleshes itself out and resolves nicely by the time it leaves the scene around 2:35. I think what would help it not feel so weak at first is if you hold off on the drums at 2:13 until a few measures later. They're going full steam from the get-go but the newly introduced melody is just building up momentum. IMO, that's a mismatch.

Good idea.

I think the ending is fine. It SMACKS of SoM flavor, especially the driving kick and snare dominated percussion palette. awesome :)

The ending is going to stay there for sure! When I said finale, I meant the 2:13-2:35 bit. I just want to flesh that part out better to not make the 2:35+ resolution seem premature.

Great to hear you dig it Harmony, esp. considering that you seem to be about as much a SoM fanboy as i am. :)

Gario: Thanks. I haven't submitted anything until recently. There's a Castlevania mix of mine waiting in the to be posted list, expect it around...Q4 2010? Lol.

Sam's been showing me some of your tracks, this one included. Just wanted to pop by and say this is h0mgz awesomes, and i hope you continue in this vain :3 I'm a sucker for highly liberal stuff of this type, plus I can take any amount of SoM love. Looking forward to seeing this completed, and anything else you make/have made~

Sam's been showing me some of your tracks, this one included. Just wanted to pop by and say this is h0mgz awesomes, and i hope you continue in this vain :3 I'm a sucker for highly liberal stuff of this type, plus I can take any amount of SoM love. Looking forward to seeing this completed, and anything else you make/have made~

You're Blitz Lunar! Sam in turn showed me some of your tracks too, I love em! You're a master of everchanging prog-infested chiptunery, man.

Thanks for the kind words.

I guess I have to comment on this too! This is basically ear candy so I am glad you are the candyman. Hahaha, when that guitar comes in I am such a happy little girl omg.

Thanks dude, please don't stop making the wacky muzaks. That organ is friggin badass!

2:10 section seems a little minimalistic after such a great build, also kind of makes the next section with the steel drum not as contrasty and cute? That's my only thing that I could notice.

YEAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed your update - things have been hectic for me recently, I guess :|.

Ah well, I hear it now, and it woulds like you've changed quite a bit, there. It sounds like you've got quite a bit more going on there than before (yet sounds so much clearer) - I'm liking the effect of the sound wash your giving.

I don't see why the judges would give this any trouble, at all - the source is actually very clearly there... it's just different motives from the source meshed in different ways, and anyone who doesn't hear that is a NEWB!~! :lol:

Really, though - I hope for a great success on this one, and I hope it's not in 2011, either :).