OCR01124 - *YES* Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 'Pirates of Dragon Roost Isle'

djpretzel

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful. This is definitely one of the most enjoyable mixes I have heard on the panel recently.

Starting off with richly layered strings and what sounds like very nice overblown flute staccs. You don't hear those too often. It changes gears as soon as the bodharn percussion enters. It adds a very nice driving force to the orchestral sections. Brass that comes later in adds a nice texture to the space also. Articulations are used sparingly, but wisely. Like the string trills. I didn't feel this was empty at all. Really good usage of orchestral percussion provides good accenting rather than a rhythm. The chromatic bell/musicbox later on is a nice touch.

Very solid arrangement, orchestration and production values overall. I would have liked a touch more reverb, maybe a nice medium hall reverb.

I was surprised to hear this was done with FruityLoops and free soundfonts. Who says you can't do great mixes outside techno and trance with FL? This is one of those great examples that illustrates it's not what you have, but how you use the tools available to you. Sublime and an easy yes from me.

YES

Not the typical orchestral arrangement. The jumps from instrument to instrument is jarring, but serves as some rather robust form of movement. I like the sound of the left panned percussion against the right panned snares and timpani. I ESPECIALLY like the quick marimba section.

A little repetitous, but maintains a great feel throughout. Work on your production next time.

AARGH