OCR01869 - Super Metroid "Lonely Petals"

djpretzel

Well...it's nice, ambient, piano-y. Yes I just made that word up.

...but....it's lacking some pieces of the song. I can hear the piano skip at the beginning...and the song just seems to be broken up. ._. It's most likely me and my OCD need to have the notes be there that aren't.

Still a good remix.

That was absolutely marvelous. There need to be way more piano arrangements of Metroid stuff than there currently are. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with a monopoly of technotronicadustrial stuff, but...one of the main things I love about this site (besides, you know, great music) is that I get to hear people take a source tune I know and love and put an entirely different spin on it, lifting it from its original atmospheric context and bringing it to new dimensions of mood and form. And this is exactly what DrumUltimA has done here.

djpretzel was right--this does evoke strong imagery of a melancholy walk through the countryside in autumn or winter, with the grey skies and chill air matching one's mood as one engages in bittersweet nostalgia...

In a word (or three), this mix is powerful. This mix is transporting and transforming. This mix is beautiful.

Definitely one of my favorites from VARIAtions, nice to see it get posted in it's own right, even though it's been around (for anyone who checked out the album anyway) for a while now.

This song (as well as quite a few others on that album) is a fine example of how just when you thought there wasn't room for another "Brinstar Red Soil Swampy Area" mix, there clearly is! This theme has been taken in so many different directions, even more than once with the piano now, but it never gets old, piano fans won't want to miss this one.

Btw don't be ashamed about not having played super metriod. I haven't played it either.

Or Final Fantasy.

Or Chrono Trigger.

Or Donkey Kong.

Ok i'm going to stop now :tomatoface:

We're so not friends anymore, Will. :P

This is beautiful. Unfortunately it clips, and is pretty heavy around the low-mid area. Despite that, it's one of my favorites from VARIAtions, so much emotion. Reminds us that not everything on OCR has to be orchestra+guitar+a dozen different synths+sidechained to six layers of bass drum+three levels of EQ per channel+kicthen sink... :D He also did that with his last controv... I mean remix. :P

Beautiful, dude.

We're so not friends anymore, Will. :P

This is beautiful. Unfortunately it clips, and is pretty heavy around the low-mid area. Despite that, it's one of my favorites from VARIAtions, so much emotion. Reminds us that not everything on OCR has to be orchestra+guitar+a dozen different synths+sidechained to six layers of bass drum+three levels of EQ per channel+kicthen sink... :D He also did that with his last controv... I mean remix. :P

Beautiful, dude.

Then I guess we're not friends anymore either... except I have played Chrono Trigger and a little Super Metroid. BUUUH!

And you nailed what I was saying earlier.

There need to be way more piano arrangements of Metroid stuff than there currently are.

I agree. Super Metroid's music lends itself very well to being arranged as a piano or jazz remix.

I thought that the remix at hand was a little too long, to be honest. The first two minutes are awesome, but at some point in the later half, it starts kinda meandering, and the last minute is like a really, really dragged out outro.

Still a nice remix.

• 2 weeks later...

Where more of the improv starts around 1:15 reminds me of Charlie Brown, u know the sad parts like when their puny tree falls down that was so cute.

. .I love Charlie Brown . .

Oh right the mix! was this rehersed? There doesn't sound one intonation mistake !! And there's a climax to the piece and everything :))

Nice work DrumUltima this shows ur mellow side for all it's wonderful. . mellowness..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I've tried to improv based on this same source tune, but really this puts anything I can do to shame. Absolutely fantastic, emotive playing and some clever interpretations on a classic theme.

The piano tone, reverb, and everything about it made it feel like it's being played underwater, which is pretty cool given the way the song plays out :-)

This one, as well as your DoD solo from Mario Galaxy, has proved to me that you really are as much of a Renaissance Man as you claim to be... watching you jump from pure electronic to percussion-only to something like this, and touching on every genre in between, with each submission is what draws me to your music. You never know what you're gonna get, but you know that each new song is going to take things to a whole different level of greatness!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I had to register just to tell how much I love this inspired arrangement and the original source material. Excellent variations, sweet tone for the piano. Congrats and many thanks for this. I even emailed my father! :D

and if you have the chance, check out the original game. It's still as much of a masterpiece to this day as it were in its heyday.

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01869 - Super Metroid "Lonely Petals"