OCR01869 - Super Metroid "Lonely Petals"

djpretzel

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

A piano arrangement from DrumUltimA? It's awesome to see (and hear) Doug stepping out of his normal remixing comfort zone. The production value of the piano is a little low heavy with not much head room for the high end. It's also a little drowned in verb, but that's just my personal preference. However, the arrangement is where it's at. Metroid is know for being creepy, and Doug conveys that in his progression and chord voicing choices for the piece. You can hear his lead synth lines and playing style in previous mixes come out here in the way he plays the piano. This track has a wonderful dynamic arch to it. No change is too abrupt nor is it too slow. It builds and builds nicely and then it will slowly come back down. Very nice work!

Somehow i missed this the first time around- :o

Same. Saw this come up and was like "Lonely petals? Nyo~~?"

This is a great, personal arrangement of a well-worn source. The mood is fantastic, I love the upbeat nature of the improv, serves as a contrast against the plodding, methodical, and lonely nature of the original.

I guess I am going to have to go and listen to the entirety of reserve tank. I started into it, but there were so many bad tracks that I ended up only going for the artists that I implicitely trusted. Guess I can add Doug's name to that list after this.

And his chrono trigger all-percussion mix. Actually, in retrospect I should have trusted him after that alone...

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Still my favorite solo piano mix on this site. It's simply a perfect remix given the source material and its context. The sound you chose couldn't have been more appropriate, the live performance itself is of course nigh flawless and the structure of the arrangement here is spot-on with lots of dynamics, highs and lows. It's moody, eerie, hauntingly beautiful, solitary, sad and distant, but not without a glimmer of hope hidden in somewhere. Such an emotional piece, and it has accompanied me in many lonely situations of my life.. And it just hit me how appropriately this mix is named. :)

Edited by RiverSound

• Liontamer changed the title to OCR01869 - Super Metroid "Lonely Petals"