What to Buy: PS3 or Wii?

Soul Splint

If you want an RPG, I humbly suggest Rune Factory Frontier, especially if you played and liked the DS ones. The game is extensive and addicting, though it does focus more on micromanagement than the DS brethren thanks to Runeys and much larger dungeons. The story is actually pretty nice and non-intrusive (though sugary and the main character is an idiot who can never draw conclusions from anything ever), and it's a great value if you're looking for a long-term game. I managed to invest 120 hours on one file before getting the itch to start over.

EDIT: It's for Wii, so... Buy the Wii. :P

Point conceded.

But I haven't seen anyone say something like "Dude, BLANK is terrible, just look at how many more games BLANK has to offer." There have been lots of pros and cons, but really no definite "pick this one" statements. I might just have to flip a coin.

I thought my post represented the Wii side of it pretty well. I even left off a lot of blockbusters like Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort, and a lot of other first party Nintendo titles.

I'd like to see someone throw together a list of justifiable PS3 purchases (keep in mind, PS3 games are more expensive than Wii games) to compare the number of titles worth buying.

I'd bet the Wii comes far head.

Your list was great, and it would be nice to see a comparable PS3 list (if anyone feels up to it, though Neko's was pretty massive).

And I forgot earlier: I have heard more than one source say Ratchet and Clank is THE reason to get a PS3, kind of like Galaxy and Wii. Any truth to this?

Gosh, a lot of people here hate the PS3, huh? I think the PS3 is a better choice than the Wii. There's a pretty solid lineup of games on the PS3 so far. Resistance 1/2, LittleBigPlanet, MGS4, Uncharted, inFamous, Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet and Clank Future. There's some others that I wouldn't "highly recommend", but titles like Folklore, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, and Disgaea 3 are pretty good titles as well. There's also a ton of great stuff on PSN like Flower, Wipeout HD, Echochrome, Siren. They've also got a pretty incredible future lineup: Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, The Last Guardian, to name a few.

I don't think the Wii has much going for it. I own one, but I haven't played it in quite some time. Mario Galaxy is pretty amazing, and there's also Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Metroid Prime 3, No More Heroes, Madworld, and Boom Blox. I got Twilight Princess and RE4 on my GC, and Okami was a PS2 game. VC is cool and all, but I'm assuming you're looking for new games.

It mostly depends on which exclusives you want, and you should really do some research for yourself, but I think that PS3 has a much better exclusive library, and it has a very strong future lineup.

Gosh, a lot of people here hate the PS3

The price tag not to mentioned the fact that BC was stripped from its most recent incarnations did bring about the ire of older gamers (read specifically PS2 owners with large libraries) and new ones that like what they see but are very, (and reasonably) frugal about getting it.

In fact here...

Look through here for Wii games then look here for PS3 games. Seriously just look through these pages and see for your self what exactly you are looking for in a library of a particular console.

Weigh the pros and cons between the two and consider doing some extra research on the future line ups for both the Wii and PS3. Forget the trends/fanboyisms and simply go for what you personally would enjoy.

While yes money issues ought to be considered due to current events, what's the point of getting either system if you can't find yourself enjoying one or the other.

Wii's the yappy dog that gets the attention and does entertain, PS3's the overgrown monstrosity that in the end of the day does get the job done while the 360 just piddles on itself from time to time and dies... :<

also I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't been interested at all in any Ratchet and Clank past the first two

The first R&C game I played was the third one (Going Commando) and it was quite awesome for one playthrough. I got Future and while it was definitely good as well, I felt like it was the exact same game. I don't see myself playing through it again. Good stuff, but it's not grabbing me anymore.

I really like my PS3. Uncharted was a blast and I'm really looking forward to the second one. Killzone 2 was an awesome, polished roller-coaster ride with multiplayer that I thought was quite good (if I had more time on my hands I probably could have gotten addicted to it). Wipeout HD is the shit. Flower and flOw are beautiful. I can't wait for The Last Guardian. My brother thought Valkyria Chronicles was awesome. MGS4 is...MGS4...I wouldn't say the gameplay was great, but it was good, and the story and artistry of that game are quite distinct (its also only $30 now). Both Motorstorms are pretty kickass. Heavenly Sword was worth the $15 I paid for it. I'm looking forward to picking up Infamous at some point since it is supposed to be great. Burnout Paradise is best on PS3 and it was nice buying the $20 download version via PSN.

I have a 360 as well. Some games I prefer the PS3 controller, so its nice to have both options available to me depending on the controller I think best suites the game.

There's supposed to be a price drop coming extremely soon on the PS3. Also, the PS3 slim model which is all but confirmed should be showing up sometime this year.

Both....seriously. I find em both very good at what they do but I have to admit, my Wii only really comes out nowadays when I've got friends over. Never really replayed any of the single player games for it, but that's just me. My PS3 is always set up cuz I seem to replay the games for that more. If I actually had a 360 though and had to make a choice between the larger than life brick or the collateral damage excercise machine, I'd choose the Wii but only because most of the games that come out for the 360 are there for the PS3 and you'd have a wider selection of different games for the Wii.

Having said that though, the exclusives for the PS3 like MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet and Clank (yeh, I'm with the I like that game crowd) are hard things to pass up cuz a lot of em are really good. Yeh, I probably didn't help at all by saying that...How about we pretend that you're gonna get both at one stage or another - for your purposes I'd recommend the Wii first. There aren't many PS3 exclusive RPG games I can think of.

I will attempt a PS3 list. I fully expect to miss a few, so please tell me what I skip.

1. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and, by association, Metal Gear Online. MGS4 is a strong "conclusion" to the series and Metal Gear Online is great fun as well.

2. LittleBigPlanet is an extremely unique, adorable game. There's really nothing else like it right now.

3. Valkyria Chronicles is a great blend of strategy and shooter with a gorgeous water paint aesthetic. I'm still surprised by how well this game works.

4. Disgaea 3 is exactly what you expect from a Disgaea game. If (like me) you like the series, you'll love this. Otherwise, it probably won't change your mind.

5. Flower is breathtaking. I can't recommend it enough as a beautiful experience.

6. Killzone 2. Solid shooter, from what I hear.

7. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction. Described by quite a few people as a big reason to own a PS3.

8. Resistance: Fall of Man. Another solid shooter. Also, there's its sequel: Resistance 2.

9. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is loads of fun. Imagine a really good Tomb Raider game, except with a male character and Whedon-esque dialogue.

10. flOw is simple, but calming.

11. Pixeljunk Monsters, a tower defense game with co-op mode. Lots of fun.

12. Pixeljunk Eden is rather difficult to describe, but very fun as well.

13. EchoChrome is great if you like mind-bending puzzles.

14. Noby Noby Boy. A game by the creator of Katamari Damacy that somehow manages to be 10x weirder than its predecessor.

15. inFamous, I hear, is pretty darn fun.

16. Heavenly Sword, not so much for its gameplay, but for its presentation. Great acting, great music and Andy Serkis.

17. Folklore didn't grab me personally, but a lot of people like it and it is definitely unique.

18. MotorStorm is a pretty fun racing game. Apparently, so is its sequel: MotorStorm: Pacific Rift

19. Wipeout HD is good too, I hear.

And those yet to be released:

20. Final Fantasy Versus XIII. I don't need to say much here.

21. Heavy Rain, a murder mystery from the creators of Indigo Prophecy.

22. The Last Guardian, Team Ico's new game.

23. God of War III would have to work pretty hard to not be awesome.

24. MAG, an online shooter said to support 256 players. Army tactics, my friend. This could be huge if it works.

25. Fat Princess is a weird cross between Team Fortress, Capture the Flag and Animal Crossing. This might be the PS3 game I am most looking forward to.

26. Katamari Forever is apparently a tribute to the series. I don't know what that means, but it looks great.

27. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves looks to be everything that was great about the first Uncharted, but better.

28. White Knight Chronicles is a highly-anticipated RPG title.

29. Mod Nation Racers seems to be a Mario Kart clone with a cool track-building tool suite.

30. L.A. Noire is a noire-style game from Rockstar. Enough said, I think.

31. Final Fantasy XIV Online looks to be a spiritual sequel to FFXI. This may mean nothing to some, but to Tweek and I, this could mean obsession if they fix the problems FFXI had.

32. Gran Turismo 5 might also be of interest to you racing enthusiasts.

On the whole, I think the Wii has more killer app exclusives at this point, but there's a lot to look forward to on the PS3's end. I expect they'll be pretty neck-and-neck.

Not mentioned:

30. Kingdom Hearts 3. Every day this game isn't announced angers me.

People can agonize about the price tag all they want, but the fact remains that you're getting wirelss, blu ray, FREE online play, rechargable batteries out of the box... While it's understandable that the general public doesn't know about all of this stuff, any gamer should find it an acceptable price for what you get. You seriously can't expect the PS3 to match the 360 in price, but get more. Ulitmately, you pay for what you get. Plus, there's bundles all over the place. Best Buy is running 2 bundles right now. One that has Killzone 2 and MGS4, and one that has LittleBigPlanet and the Wall-E movie, both at $400.

I think that Sony really needs to rethink their market strategy. They should make the PS3 modular like the Xbox 360. The least they should do is strip out the wireless and make people pay for that separately. They also need to bring back BC models. They could be more expensive, but it would be nice to have the option.

And I'm not talking about general hatred towards things like price or lack of BC, there's plenty of people acting like there's nothing to play for the PS3, when that really isn't true at all. For being one year younger than the Xbox 360, they're really coming close to the 360 in terms of quantity of games.

Also, you totally missed all the good racing games, seph. Both Motorstorms and Wipeout HD are great. GT5 is also sorely missing from your upcoming games list. Someone doesn't like racing games?

Also, you totally missed all the good racing games, seph. Both Motorstorms and Wipeout HD are great. GT5 is also sorely missing from your upcoming games list. Someone doesn't like racing games?

I don't play many of them outside of the Mario Kart type. That's usually how I am with sports games too: always favoring the "video-gamey" versions rather than the simulations. SSX, Mario Kart, NBA Street, etc.

Let me go add those suggestions ...

Ehh...I think at this point the Forza games are more exciting than Gran Turismo. They may not look as hot, but features like damage, online play, actually being able to roll your car in F3, paint customization, etc has always been ahead of GT. I'm looking forward to GT on PSP though.

Do people really like Resistance? I rented R2 via Gamefly (gamefly rocks, btw) and wow, the single player was the most generic, boring bleh-fest. It was merely competent, and that was probably not what I should be playing after playing the amazing Killzone 2. I didn't get into the multiplayer though - I hear the co-op mode is cool.

Ehh...I think at this point the Forza games are more exciting than Gran Turismo. They may not look as hot, but features like damage, online play, actually being able to roll your car in F3, paint customization, etc has always been ahead of GT. I'm looking forward to GT on PSP though.

Gran Turismo really hasn't seen a "real" current gen release though. GT5 Prologue is pretty much a glorified (and expensive) demo. I'm pretty sure that GT5 will come with all the bells and whistles like damage and online play. I think a lot of people are unfairly judging GT5 already simply because they think GT5 will be the same as Prologue, but with more cars and tracks. Fans have been demanding this stuff for a while, so I'm sure that GT5 will come with a lot of this stuff. To this point, we really know nothing about GT5, except that it has Nascar and WRC in it.

Wii is great for certain games (namely, NINTENDO games), but come on. PS3 is a full on multimedia platform. I still prefer the 360 overall due to its online features and a sturdier online community and more game-oriented nature of it all, but PS3 compared to the Wii is almost not even fair.

If anything, I'm just slightly worried about the PS3 not having as many niche games as the PS2 did. Hell, it has less of it so far than the 360 does (even in Japan, which is plain weird.. though the PS3 has more obscure franchises like Yakuza series..)

Give wads of points towards the Wii if retro game emulation on the big screen is your thing. Otherwise, PS3 and 360 all the way for me. I keep borrowing a PS3, but I'm too tempted to get the $400, Bestbuy PS3 + Killzone 2 + MGS4 combo.

Gran Turismo really hasn't seen a "real" current gen release though. GT5 Prologue is pretty much a glorified (and expensive) demo. I'm pretty sure that GT5 will come with all the bells and whistles like damage and online play. I think a lot of people are unfairly judging GT5 already simply because they think GT5 will be the same as Prologue, but with more cars and tracks. Fans have been demanding this stuff for a while, so I'm sure that GT5 will come with a lot of this stuff. To this point, we really know nothing about GT5, except that it has Nascar and WRC in it.

GT5 is supposed to have damage (though I doubt it will allow you to flip a car completely), and yeah, WRC is cool (who the eff wants to actually race Nascar though?). Hopefully it will be cool.

Forza has been from the start a step ahead of GT though. I think the first one came out a little before GT4 did and managed to have good online play while GT4 cut it. Some interview with the main Polyphony guy had him saying he never played any Forza games, so something tells me they aren't worried about matching up to the competition.

But whatever, I don't really play that style of game anymore (racing sims are like the RPGs of racing where you have to put in a ton of time to have fun and I don't have that kind of time now). And this is a thread about PS3 and Wii....

I appreciate all the responses, guys. And seph, much thanks for the PS3 list. I've been doing a good amount of research, and I believe I have come to a conclusion.

And the winner is...

PS3.

Wireless, Blu-ray, and from what I can tell more of a potential future than the Wii. The Wii does have a lot to offer, but after looking at its current and future lineup I would feel like I'm spending the $250 just to match it with buying four or five games. I can see myself getting much more value out of the PS3, and the Best Buy bundle is a killer deal. Thanks to everyone who posted, especially Neko and seph for their detailed lists. When you hear from me again I will be somewhat broker, but hopefully happier in spite of it.