What to Buy: PS3 or Wii?

Soul Splint

Congrats on the new console then!

Nice! i think you would be happier with either one. Unless you are in to Sport games, like madden and fifa. They are better for the PS3/360. I have all 3 systems, but i play my PS3 and Wii the most. I only recently started playing my 360 again to play some friends in SF4.

Once you got it set up, look around the forums for some PSN ids to add on ur list, I generally go by the same name here as I do on PSN.

Will do, though I think I am going to wait until the holiday season to see what other bundles are offered. That will also give me a chance to save a little more so I don't get stretched too thin. (Textbooks are expensive as hell.)

Bahamut: Just out of curiosity, why would you have said the Wii is a better investment?

I honestly don't see how you say it's only an investment for 3-4 games, and that its future isn't as bright as the PS3. There are at least 30 games out there this very second that are definitely worth buying for the Wii, and maybe 8 for the PS3.

Most of the coming-soon PS3 games that were listed earlier are shooting for late 2010 at the EARLIEST, 2011 if they're lucky, and then there were some that don't even HAVE a release date.

I honestly feel that the best way would have been to WAIT on the PS3 until its library is a bit more developed, because to be honest, there is NO way it's worth it at that price if you already have a 360.

If anything, developers are abandoning the PS3 in droves, and the Wii's current and future lineup far and away is superior to the PS3 in every imaginable way.

Also, enjoy spending $30 for movies. That's the bluray future.

Don't say I didn't warn you :)

I do appreciate the warning. You obviously have the best interest of my credit card at heart.

To others the Wii may indeed be a twenty or thirty game investment, but after looking at the lineups and hearing about some other unknowns here, I would only be buying a handful that would suit my taste. You may be right in the Wii having a much more promising future for the masses, but even in that case I would be buying ten or more out of the few PS3 games while only buying MAYBE five or six out of the hundreds of Wii games.

I honestly don't see how you say it's only an investment for 3-4 games, and that its future isn't as bright as the PS3. There are at least 30 games out there this very second that are definitely worth buying for the Wii, and maybe 8 for the PS3.

I know that different people like different things and I'm fine with that, but I have to wonder about your taste in games if you can name even 15 Wii exclusives worth buying. Honestly, I've tried numerous times and can't even come close to that number.

If anything, developers are abandoning the PS3 in droves, and the Wii's current and future lineup far and away is superior to the PS3 in every imaginable way.

I'd question this as well, but for the same reason as above. Unless you're a fan of Metroid and Team Ninja, or liked Mario Galaxy (I didn't), there's not much outside of New Super Mario Bros. I can think of off the top of my head to look forward to.

I was at Future Shop two days ago and they had tons of Blu-Rays for as little as $15 Canadian. Some really decent movies too, and considering I don't often see anything really good on DVD going for less than $10, not a bad deal. And Blu-Ray versions of new movies always seem to be at most $5 more expensive than the DVD version these days. I actually consider the difference in picture quality worth $5, and prices will only continue to go down as the format penetrates more of the market. Your argument would have carried more weight a year and a half ago, but not so much now.

Most of the coming-soon PS3 games that were listed earlier are shooting for late 2010 at the EARLIEST, 2011 if they're lucky, and then there were some that don't even HAVE a release date.

I honestly feel that the best way would have been to WAIT on the PS3 until its library is a bit more developed, because to be honest, there is NO way it's worth it at that price if you already have a 360.

Don't say I didn't warn you :)

Like Vivi said, it's all about preference. Ever since the Wii was revealed, it never grasped my interest. The whole idea of waving your hands around in order to control a game just isn't for me. My first exposure to the Wii was Wii Sports. Being a tennis player, I decided to try and play the tennis game. And I hated it! All my years of experience and a couch potato was beating the crap out of me. I wanted to blast the ball cross court, but it went down the line. I wanted to lob the ball over my opponent's head, but it went across the net like every other shot. The only way to direct the ball to either side of the court is to time it right, not by aiming. This proves my belief that video games can't simulate a sport. And also the reason why I have never bought a sports video game. I would rather do the real thing with real people. But anyway, all of the Wii heavy hitters like Brawl, Galaxy, Twilight Princess, just don't interest me. It may be great for other people, but it's still all about preference. Maybe somebody wants to play some hardcore games like God of War, Darksiders, Dante's Inferno, Devil May Cry... these games can't be played on the Wii. So don't try and fault someone else's choice of console just because you have your own opinion of it that may be different.

I know that different people like different things and I'm fine with that, but I have to wonder about your taste in games if you can name even 15 Wii exclusives worth buying. Honestly, I've tried numerous times and can't even come close to that number.

As it does come down to personal taste, I think that even if someone could name 15 Wii exclusives worth buying, you wouldn't agree. Personally, I feel the argument comes down to if you want games that will focus more on being fun rather than being deep.

Best example: Boom Blox. This game equates to the simplicity of Katamari Damacy in my mind, because you're literally doing almost nothing through the entire game. I love them both, but the simplicity of the game play makes it fun without needing to be engaging. Personally, this is the kind of point that I feel needs to be made.

At this point, I feel the PS3 is a better overall investment, but it is not one that is made entirely for gaming reasons. If you're looking just to play games with what you get, then the Wii is the better choice. If you're looking for something that will have more practical applications after your thumbs and forearms start to cramp, then the PS3 is the much better choice.

That is, as long as you haven't gotten either yet. If you've already purchased your system, then don't let anyone or thing let you second guess it, or it will not be what you wanted it to be.

One reason I own a PS3 over a 360 is because as a traditional 2-D fighting game fan who uses the D-pad, the 360 is completely worthless to me. It seems that the Wii isn't really getting many fighting games (although they did get Guilty Gear XX Accent Core). I still feel like the PlayStation is the place to be for the genre with games like BlazBlue, Street Fighter IV, and King of Fighters 12 not on the Wii and the 360's D-pad being total dick.

^

I honestly think that is a pretty stupid reason. There are so many great arcade sticks out there. And if you think about it, the d-pad is only nominally better than the 360's too. Get a SF4 Tournament Edition stick and get it over with. I don't understand why people gripe when there's even the fight-pads if you must play d-pads.

It'd be great to have both.

Another reason I picked the PS3: when I compared the lists, I felt that the PS3 exclusives had much more replay value, a very big factor to me.

After holding out this long for a decent price drop, I'll be IRATE if they drop it right after I buy. Which they probably will after this holiday season with all the people screaming for Sony's blood, because they have refused to really drop it yet.

Uncharted 2 and a new Ratchet and Clank are slated for the end of this year. God of War 3, MAG, and Heavy Rain are slated for early next year. Hell, Demon's Souls and White Knight Chronicles are coming soon as well. That's seven exclusives within the next year. The PS3 has plenty of exclusives going for it in the near future. What exactly does the Wii have in the next year?

I'm just going to assume that you haven't been paying attention to the industry very much if you're saying this. BioWare, one of the biggest western RPG developers, is now developing for PS3. Valve has pretty much stated that it's a matter of time before they start developing for the PS3. Tecmo now has a greater interest in the PS3, with the exclusive "Quantum" and Ninja Gaiden Sigma games.

Please, do tell me of all these developers that are abandoning the PS3.

Regardless, congrats on getting a new system. I think you've made the right choice. Also, be sure to pick up a bundle at Best Buy.

I currently have a Wii and 360, but want to get rid of the 360 at some point in exchange for a PS3. I bought the 360 mostly for Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia, but I beat the former and the latter, and now the latter's getting a much-improved port. Most of the other games I've bought for the system just can't hold my interest for very long, which is a shame.

LBP, Valkyria, Disgaea 3, and Ratchet and Clank I all enjoyed on my friend's PS3, so... Yeah.

Anyway, I'm glad you chose something. The Wii is still my favourite thanks to all the quirky titles you can get for it for cheap, but the PS3 is finally getting some traction, so it's a good buy.

^

I honestly think that is a pretty stupid reason. There are so many great arcade sticks out there. And if you think about it, the d-pad is only nominally better than the 360's too. Get a SF4 Tournament Edition stick and get it over with. I don't understand why people gripe when there's even the fight-pads if you must play d-pads.

Because I don't feel like undoing 6 years worth of fighting game playing on a D-pad and being reduced back to sucking. I also don't want to spend $150 on a stick only to discover that I don't like them. If I knew someone who had one I could borrow and play around with for a few weeks, that'd be one thing, but to spend the money on a total crapshoot, no thanks. Not sure how you can equate that the PS3's D-pad is as bad for fighting games as the 360's. It IS better (the 360's D-pad is just a piece of plastic made to look like a D-pad mounted on a stick). Not to mention that even if I personally converted to a stick, my friends aren't going to, and then I'd own a version of the game they couldn't play with me, and that would suck.

Because I don't feel like undoing 6 years worth of fighting game playing on a D-pad and being reduced back to sucking. I also don't want to spend $150 on a stick only to discover that I don't like them. If I knew someone who had one I could borrow and play around with for a few weeks, that'd be one thing, but to spend the money on a total crapshoot, no thanks. Not sure how you can equate that the PS3's D-pad is as bad for fighting games as the 360's. It IS better (the 360's D-pad is just a piece of plastic made to look like a D-pad mounted on a stick). Not to mention that even if I personally converted to a stick, my friends aren't going to, and then I'd own a version of the game they couldn't play with me, and that would suck.

You know, I took a stab at the dark buying a SF4 TE with being uncomfortable playing arcade fighting games, and it really does improve your control to the point where you can do things that you wouldn't have done before.

As for my thoughts on the Wii over the PS3, if you have a lot of friends who aren't super hardcore into video games, the Wii is clearly a better purchase for social reasons - you're looking to spend a lot on controllers too in this situation, which makes it no different from buying a PS3, and possibly more expensive so cost isn't the core of my view.

I've personally derived a lot of fun from Wii titles like Wii Sports, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Fire Emblem, and even from Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10. There were other games too, but I seem to have a hard time remembering from poor sleep in this hot & humid Baltimore weather. The VC also has a crazy number of good games if you're nostalgic - I'm currently on the FF4: The After Years & DKC 2.

My PS3 on the other hand has been largely unplayed except for PS2 games. Resistance wasn't so bad that I remember except the PS3 controller is weird for FPSs. Resistance 2 though I just quit at one point when they throw these ridiculous enemies that can kill you in 1 hit and audio is the only cue. I haven't played my LittleBigPlanet or Disgaea 3 yet. Super Stardust HD is amazing though if you grab that off of the PSN. Flow doesn't match the hype - not worth it IMO.

I also used to have & play Virtua Fighter 5 but...it's on the 360 as well, which goes to one of the big drawbacks of having a PS3 if you have a 360 and money is an issue - there is a huge overlap between PS3 & 360 games, and multiplatform games are better off in general on the 360 due to a generally larger userbase online, and that 360 games don't eat up as much of your hard drive as PS3 games tend to do.

multiplatform games are better off in general on the 360 due to a generally larger userbase online, and that 360 games don't eat up as much of your hard drive as PS3 games tend to do.

Isn't that the same online user base caused the rise of "lawl xbox live"? Not to mention a majority of its user base is best left corded off to the romper room. It's in fact one of the biggest reasons I stayed the hell away from the 360, among many other issues. The Wii itself was and still is purely entertaining but with a tedious system of making friend lists. PS3 same deal except instead of a clunky code listing for every single person you've ever met it's a monetary issue on games with online multiplayer that generally is not as unforgiving as a bad friend code.

Virtua fighter..? really..?, I can't even remember the last time I ever even touched a Tekken game let alone Virtua Fighter. :lol:

Isn't that the same online user base caused the rise of "lawl xbox live"? Not to mention a majority of its user base is best left corded off to the romper room. It's in fact one of the biggest reasons I stayed the hell away from the 360, among many other issues. The Wii itself was and still is purely entertaining but with a tedious system of making friend lists. PS3 same deal except instead of a clunky code listing for every single person you've ever met it's a monetary issue on games with online multiplayer that generally is not as unforgiving as a bad friend code.

But the PSN system has its own issues with firewalls and such, which is pretty archaic in this day & age. A friend & I could not play GTA 4 online due to that for example, which was pretty crappy.

But the PSN system has its own issues with firewalls and such, which is pretty archaic in this day & age. A friend & I could not play GTA 4 online due to that for example, which was pretty crappy.

Firewall..? The PS3 HAS NO FIREWALL :lol:. Most likely a bad router but firewall..?

Just plug and play baby that's all it takes :lol:

edit:

To be fair I did a search about these firewall issues --> http://www.question-defense.com/2008/11/14/firewall-settings-for-playstation-3-ps3-firewall-ports/

This it?

I can't say I've had issues with online play except for that match on Blazblue but even then I couldn't tell the connection quality like SFIV monitoring system can