What to Buy: PS3 or Wii?

Soul Splint

I missed this thread before, but I have to help people make this decision ALL THE TIME when I'm working at GameStop, so hopefully I can help you out as well. I'm going to pretend that you haven't made your decision yet, by the way.

The biggest reason to get a PS3 is for the Blu-Ray player. (At least it used to be before blu-ray prices started to go down.) If you have been wanting a blu-ray player and already have a nice HDTV, then that's already a huge advantage.

The ability to have a Blu-Ray machine that plays video games as well is awesome. Other people have mentioned the great games on here such as MGS4, Little Big Planet, Killzone2, Valkyrie Chronicles, Uncharted, etc. Many of these games are going to be like the 360 games you like - lots of action and shooting.

On the other hand, if you are perfectly content with DVDs at the moment and have a standard TV, the PS3 really isn't for you. You would be much better off spending that $400+ toward a new HDTV to improve your XBOX360 experience.

If you're looking for a console specifically for gaming, the Wii might be a better choice. The Wii has a more DIVERSE library than the PS3, especially if you already have a 360 that plays many of the same PS3 games.

The PS3 will offer you a similar experience to your 360, such as online gaming, good shooters, traditional controls, etc. The Wii, on the other hand, will offer you a much newer and different approach to gaming both with the motion controls and with the diverse library.

Speaking of the Wii library, many of its titles don't SEEM as impressive as PS3 and 360 titles because they are usually new ideas and games with less sequels of previously enjoyed titles. There are the obvious ones like Metroid, Mario, Zelda, etc. But many great titles on Wii are ones you've never heard of; ones you'd never buy just looking at the box on the shelf.

Examples of often-missed Wii games:

ExciteBots - It's like Mario Kart on crack. You drive cars into objectives, such as kicking a football through uprights or collecting cards to make a better Poker hand than your foes.

Boom Blox - It's like JENGA on crack. Not only are you pulling blocks out of piles with your Wii remote, you are also throwing things at blocks trying to knock them all down, and other crazy things. Playing with blocks is still as fun as it was when we were 5.

Dokapon Kingdom - It's like Mario Party + Final Fantasy. You level up as your fighting baddies, but in a board game format and with lots of luck and rock-paper-scissor type battles.

Raving Rabbids - It's like a Ren and Stimpy party game. Lots of fun minigames with tons of potty humor.

No More Heroes and Madworld - Extremely violent action games that are a blast to play

House of the Dead and Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles - It's the rail shooters you use to pump quarters into as a kid, but from the comfort of your own home. And no more quarters. These rail shooters are excellent on the Wii with the pointing controllers.

Okami - It's just as good as Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess but hardly anyone actually plays it.

Zack & Wiki - It's a point-and-click puzzle game. Awesome.

de Blob - It's like Katamari Damacy with paint. Roll your guy into buildings to paint them colors. Relaxing yet challenging.

Trauma Center - Perform surgery with the Wiimote. The second one has Co-Op surgeries which is awesome. Terrible script though. Fun gameplay is worth it.

WiiWare games Lots of good ones here, too many to list.

Finally, I want to pass something along that has been said many times. Do you have real-life friends? If so, buy a Wii. If not, you're going to be more into online gaming, which your 360 already does nicely.

The similar gaming styles is one reason I chose the PS3.

I believe you're 100% accurate in saying the experiences between the 360 and PS3 are similar, just with different titles, but that's a good thing to me. If it were not for MGS4, God of War III and R&C Future I would probably have chosen the Wii and taken you up on several of the games you listed, but these exclusives are games I refuse to miss.

I went with the wii for my first nextgen console and I think I did the right thing because I don't know if I could have played it much after the 360 and the ps3. I have all 3 consoles. I play the 360 the most, and hate it the most at the same time, a love/hate relationship. Love the games hate the console and controllers :P.

Oh, another reason I have no interest in the PS3:

Capcom fighters use an archaic and ass-backwards netcode that makes online play a hair-pulling experience.

The netcode they use for the 360 is absolutely HEAVENLY. GOD TIER stuff.

Very good point if online play if crucial to a gamer.

I think some games like Resistance 2 actually has good netcode, but it's really annoying to think that every game has their own netcodes while the 360 has a rock solid code for EVERY online game out there. That is a major difference as far as console games online goes.

And I don't touch Wii games online unless it's really fun to do so (mostly SSBB). At least the PS3 isn't TOTAL garbage online like the Wii is..

I went with the wii for my first nextgen console and I think I did the right thing because I don't know if I could have played it much after the 360 and the ps3. I have all 3 consoles. I play the 360 the most, and hate it the most at the same time, a love/hate relationship. Love the games hate the console and controllers :P.

Bias fuck... lol

PS3 has it's disadvantages all the same. :P Plus it's more pricey.

Can't argue with the blue ray ability though.

Edit: Btw; I completely agree that the PS3 and XBox crush the Wii. The Wii just isn't my style of gaming.

Bias fuck... lol

PS3 has it's disadvantages all the same. :P Plus it's more pricey.

Can't argue with the blue ray ability though.

Edit: Btw; I completely agree that the PS3 and XBox crush the Wii. The Wii just isn't my style of gaming.

Ps3 has free online multiplayer and for the 4 months that I have been using it, I have never seen a lag. It has free wifi connectability built into the system. You need to pay for these things with the 360.

Ps3 has free online multiplayer and for the 4 months that I have been using it, I have never seen a lag. It has free wifi connectability built into the system. You need to pay for these things with the 360.

The 360 online experience is quite superior - you have the near guarantee of everyone playing with a headset, as well as no potential firewall issues with any game online. ~$3-4 a month is a pretty nominal cost for just this, although there are other bonuses you get with XBL as well (free 1v100 beta for example).

The 360 online experience is quite superior - you have the near guarantee of everyone playing with a headset, as well as no potential firewall issues with any game online. ~$3-4 a month is a pretty nominal cost for just this, although there are other bonuses you get with XBL as well (free 1v100 beta for example).

I count 13 year olds butchering the english language as an expense.

You can run into a lot of cool people on PSN as well, so what? There's a lot of people on Xbox Live that don't use their mics, and there's a lot of people that are annoying as hell. I'd hardly count the fact that "Everyone has one" as an advantage, but maybe that's just me. Also, you can't deny that the sound quality of those mics is trash, and ability to use bluetooth mics on the PS3 is awesome. And I could care less if there's overall more people playing Xbox Live, so long as there's enough people to play with, I'm satisfied. I, too, have had no issues with PSN lagging or disconnections.

Now, I think that both services are fine, they both have their advantages and disadvantages over the other, but saying that one is clearly better than the other is ridiculous.

So console gamers don't like games?

Yeah, that chart is ridiculous. PC gaming is okay, but it has some serious drawbacks. I can't even count the amount of times I've had to get on the internet to search for solutions to game breaking bugs. There's also a ton of issues with stability in a lot of PC games. I don't endorse piracy, but sometimes it can be a good idea to see if a game is actually stable. But, you know, buy the game if it works. I remember Gears of War 1, it was trash. It crashed about every 15-30 minutes of play, and it was a common issue among many users, and it took a couple months for it to get fixed. That really pissed me off. We also get to deal with terrible DRM systems. Oh yeah, you have to remember that gaming PCs are expensive (though greatly exaggerated at times). It's also nice to couch potato and play games. Plus, PCs are a great place for MMOs, shooters, WRPGs, and RTS games, but they're no place for fighting games, JRPGs, platformers, and general action/adventure games.

not necessarily, if you build it yourself (or have prophet build it for you)

$400 will get you a fairly respectable computer these days

Now if you want a gaming rig with all the eye candy, you better find some connections/friends/associates that can help ya keep things on the cheap while putting together a respectable PC that won't break down on its proverbial knees when playing a high end system hog of a game; which can vary with any game since I hear you can play WoW on a dell easy, linux OS system even more so...

*cough*crysis*cough*

if you want a fancy case, that's up to you, but really has no bearing on whether your rig will play crysis or not

my $800 system that I built early last year plays crysis on medium settings at 60 fps and those parts are old enough where I could probably replicate it for closer to $450-500 now

From Personal Experience I would say Ps3, Have not had any problems with mine and most of the people I know; if they own the Wii they dont have many games and if they own the 360 its breaks down on them in someway, But hey that just from my personal exp.

I just wanted to note that I absolutely love my Wii to death. PS3 seems like it's got all the power and features I could possibly really want from a normal system, but I have yet to honestly be disappointed by a Wii game... but on the same note, I'm generally somewhat picky about what games to buy. Of course, I would be with PS3 too.

If you have the money then buy a PS3, if you're strapped buy a Wii. I don't own one but I borrowed my friends and it is what's currently hooked up in my room. It seems very nice and as stated about quite powerful. The 360 is what I own and the PS3 controller is taking some getting used to. As we all know though, it is by no means low quality.

I think my level of satisfaction with each of these consoles has also been affected by how often they sit collecting dust. I get a similar amount of gaming time out of each console. But in the gap between great PS3 games being released, my PS3 is still constantly in use as a movie player (which it's great for). Between great Wii games, the Wii sits and does nothing.