Castlevania Bloodlines - The Reincarnated Soul WIP - Update: 19-Oct-2009

Sorry, another remix with Castlevania in the name and another guitar-based remix, but I was trying to find something interesting to tackle, and Castlevania Bloodlines is an under-appreciated soundtrack with tonnes of potential. There's still a whole bunch missing from this remix, considering I don't particularly like the intro, and the lead instruments are missing after 0:46, but I have a few ideas where it can go, as well as fusing it with some of the later stage's music.

Link: http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip

There's only one file in there to get, so you shouldn't have any trouble getting to it.

Cheers

YES! A bloodlines remix! This soundtrack seriously needs some more attention on this site, as it has one of the best soundtracks ever (up there with 'Contra Hardcore' with completely unappreciated awesome soundtracks).

It sounds unfinished and unpolished at the moment (and I agree, the intro wasn't particularly impressive), but I can see this going into something very nice where you faded it out (that's not the ending, right?). The lead is a little weak, but it works, right now. The music is pretty straight forward, right now, but it sounds like your building up into something that will be your own, so I'll wait before I start complaining :).

A solid mix, right now, and it will get better by the sounds of it. You get extra points for remixing this game, though - I've always wanted to do a remix of the third level, but Reason 3 will not support my ideas for it, at the moment, so I've got to wait until I upgrade my DAW or change it completely (level 3 is one of the most complicated tracks in video games, in my opinion). Keep it up - I want to hear this finished.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, so it's taken me a while to get back to this but I've had a quick mess around with it today and got some new things out it. First off, changed the intro, little happier with it. Added the harmony guitar line to the main melody, and currently have some synths for the later leads of the first section, they're a little low in the mix but you can probably get the idea from them. Now to work on moving into the second section.

Link: http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip

The file is dated 4th august, file description is "second revision".

DAMN YOU FADEOUT!! I was just getting into it, too.

The intro is considerably better - it gets me into the music well enough. The end (where you faded out) just sounds like it's going to get seriously epic, so fading out there is just downright cruel, man.

The lead could use a bit of a boost in the high range, as it has a sort of muffled sound, atm. The electronica that you've got going could use a boost, as it's awesome, but hard to hear.

I love that buildup at the end. This continues to expound on the potential of the song. Please don't forget about it - you need to finish it.

Third revision:

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip/castle-wip-05aug-2351.mp3?attredirects=0

Finally got the next section up, not sure on the solo but I'll keep working on it for the time being. One of the synth's is going a bit crazy as well (possibly something to do with the compressor on it), but I'm sure I'll work that out. The end of this version goes into Iron Blue Intention, but I intend to move away from that and possibly into another piece to then move into an original ending to wrap it up. Sorry about the daily update, but I'm fairly sure I'll be busy for the next few days, so doing the work when I can!

It's a real shame no one is paying much heed to this track (except HoboKa & SoulinEther - they're cool like that :<), 'cause it's a damn fine metal track.

You made the synth work more noticeable - nice work with that. That next section is incredible, dude, and the segue into Area 4 was perfect. That was a great song too... then there's another fadeout :puppyeyes:. The sound of this is great, man - I really, really can't wait to see what else you've got going for us.

Be aware that you should probably incorporate the themes together in some clever ways - what you have is good, but OCR has something against music that sounds like a medley. I'd say your music is really a borderline case, as it sounds natural, but to be safe try incorporating a bit of Area 1 into your Area 4 section (which is coming up).

The synths sound like they have some harsh artifacts in them - see if you can clear those up :). EDIT: Wait, your already aware of those... my bad :P.

Otherwise, this is great stuff. Keep it coming - I hate being left with a fadeout.

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip/castle-wip-08aug-2312.mp3?attredirects=0

4th Revision

So I think I'm done with the structure, there's still a few rough edges here and there and ignore the little bit of feedback right at the end, failed experiment! I'm not really sure if there is enough original content here to adhere to OCR (though god knows without forcing it I've tried to be at least creative) so let me know how it sounds.

EDIT: On reflection, the last bit from Iron Blue Intention doesn't quite gel, I'll keep working on it, and I think I'll export the synth stuff so I can change volumes, it goes a little wonky towards the final parts...

I'm hearing some similarities between CV3's Beginning, Reincarnated Soul, and Iron Blue Intention. At 2:00, Intention's upward build reminds me of :20. Maybe.

Just trying to get some juices flowing.

The soloing is great. I'm not about to time this but it would seem like there still could be more incorporation of either theme. Unless your solos are an intepretation of either theme. Then there's a bunch of grey area. Willrock's Ice Cap mix had (in the mind of a few judges) questionably short source usage the first time he subbed it if I remember correctly... and it didn't even seem to be that liberal to me.

That 2:00-2:55 section where you repeat that Intention intro thing. It's a long build up..and it kinda drags. Could something else be going there, alongside that buildup or otherwise?

I like the Iron Blue Intention in there, although the lead is a bit hidden in there at 2:56... Bring him out a bit and you'll be alright.

No fadeout, but I feel the song needs a conclusion - that sudden stop is just unsettling. Really, you set up to recap back to the 0:45 section with that harpsichord thing and you just end it?! You have great potential to bring us back into the beginning again, giving us some closure to the song. Use that potential, that will help end the piece satisfactorily (perhaps playing that organ part on the guitar instead of just rehashing the beginning again).

Also, while I like the build-up at 2:26, I feel that the build-up gets a touch repetitive. I suggest at 2:40 reincorporating the theme from 'Reincarnation' over the texture from 'Iron Blue Intention' - I can hear that working rather well as a lead over that, it'll be a clever incorporation of the original theme. When you do cool things like juxtapose two themes together in such a way that it doesn't sound forced, it tends to be on the more 'original' side of things, so it should work. Also, it'll give some more direction to the buildup and lead into the next section better. Just a suggestion :).

Otherwise, it's pretty damn fine, for sure - even if it didn't make it on OC for one reason or another, it's going on my playlist when it's done.

The lead/melody kinda feels weird off to the left. Bring it closer to the center, i just don't feel like it's strong enough by itself on the left like that. especially in comparison to the highly crunchy very strong rhythm backing.

or bring it up in volume slightly.

the synths are excellent, the arrangement is solid.

as far as the arrangement goes, it's a little conservative in terms of treatment of the source itself, but there's probably enough new stuff in here to squeek past the judges (if you're submitting).

the whole piece needs an ending now too.

good work though, always in need of more bloodlines love.

• 2 months later...

been a long time but finna dug this out and started working on it again.

5th revision!

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip

direct link

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip/castle-18oct-1719.mp3?attredirects=0

new ending added, just general tidy up, still a few rough patches, especially where i cut down the build up in the middle (needs a drum fill by the sounds of things) and straight after needs a bit of a mix / re-record, sounds a little thin, but apart from that it sounds a little fatter i think!

Hmm not bad; I think you need a pad or strings to back up the chords and fill out just a little more of that soundscape (without muddying it up lol). Also, the drums sound like the generic samples (unless these are actually played live) used in a rock remix of castlevania - maybe make them industrial or do cool effects to them.

Overall it's pretty good :< and the ending works well.

OK, made a fairly quick but substantial revision

6th Revision

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip

http://sites.google.com/site/gamesdojo/Home/castlevaniabloodlines-wip/castle-19oct-1944.mp3?attredirects=0

Re-recorded the guitars in the 2;40 starting block where things sounded wierd before, sounds a lot fatter, re-recorded the solo with a different sound and feel, little bit more polished. Also reprogrammed the drums in a couple key spots to make it feel a little less disjointed.