Sega Dreamcast game recommendations

LuketheXjesse

Try Toy Commander, Power Stone, or Hydro Thunder too :) Most of the other gems have been covered.

Probably the biggest use I have of my Dreamcast currently, is that of emulation...Now, I don't think it's allowed to actually post sites for the emulators and especially for the roms, but I recommend you Google "NesterDC SE"

NesterDC SE is just...wow, it's incredible. The emulator comes with a program that lets you take bundles of ROM files, and then it will automatically encode them onto a standalone CD, for use in your Dreamcast. The program will automatically grab .NSF soundtrack files (For use in the emualator's built-in .NSF music player), box art and cartridge art shots, and instruction manuals for every game you put into it, making it a ridiculously complete-feeling emulator once played on the system. It also has built-in support for Game Genie (It automatically downloads all Game Genie codes for all games you put into that program), as well as save states, which are stored on the VMU.

The catch for all this is that you need a mod-chipped system, and frankly I have no idea how to do that. I DO know, however, that all first-generation Dreamcast systems have no protection on their disc drives, and don't need a mod-chip. My own Dreamcast is one of these; I'd bought it on launch day, back on 9/9/99, hehe. I'm not sure how to tell apart a first generation Dreamcast from the others, apart from the fact that the first-gen ones need no mod-chips. It's something you might want to try experimenting with!

Ten years already though, huh? It might be time to do some kind of Dreamcast 10th Anniversary...thing. Maybe celebrate by playing some Shenmue or some Sonic Adventure again :)

Good times, good times...

Man, you have Ramirez in your sig. You have to get Skies of Arcadia even if you have played the GC version, if for no other reason than to hear the music as it was meant to be heard. (Even better if you can get a VGA connection for the dreamcast.)

There is a difference in the music for the DC and GC versions??

AirForce Delta (Flying)

Alien Front Online (3D Action)

Bangai-O (Shmup)

Border Down (Shmup) *

Capcom vs SNK (Fighting)

Daytona USA (Racing)

Dead or Alive 2 (Fighting)

Draconus: Cult of the Wyrm (3D Hack 'N Slash)

Ecco the Dolphin (3D Action Puzzler)

Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves (Fighting)

Giga Wing (Shmup)

Giga Wing 2 (Shmup)

Grandia II (RPG)

Gunbird 2 (Shmup)

Ikaruga (Shmup) *

Last Blade 2 (Fighting)

Last Hope (Shmup) *

Mars Matrix (Shmup)

Marvel vs Capcom (Fighting)

Marvel vs Capcom 2 (Fighting)

MDK 2 (3D Action)

Metropolis Street Racer (Racing)

Red Dog (3D Action)

Resident Evil 2 (Survival Horror)

Resident Evil 3 (Survival Horror)

Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Survival Horror)

Skies of Arcadia (RPG)

Soul Calibur (Fighting)

Street Fighter III: Double Impact (Fighting Compilation)

Street Fighter III: Third Strike (Fighting)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Fighting)

Sword of the Berserk: Guts' Rage (3D Hack 'N Slash)

Test Drive Le Mans (Racing)

Test Drive: V-Rally (Racing)

Under Defeat (Shmup) *

Wild Metal (3D Action)

Zero Gunner II (Shmup) *

*= Japanese import

Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 can be fun, just be aware that the camera doesn't like you very much.

There is a difference in the music for the DC and GC versions??

Not in composition but the music was compressed down in order to make the game fit on one GC disc.

So between that and a different sound chip being used the sound has changed (I would say for the worse, if you have ever heard a Genesis sound file being poorly emulated same kinda thing.)

Even though I'm repeating what everyone has said so far, here are my recommendations(in no real order)!:

- Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 (Probably the prime of the 3D games, in my opinion!)

- Ikaruga (Very intense and addictive shoot-em-up! One of my favorites by Treasure.)

- Maken X (a neat FPS with some very innovative ideas, awesome art and awesome music. There are some really annoying control and design flaws, though.

- Shenmue 2 (A truly fantastic blend of genres. It may have its flaws, but it's well worth it for the experience! Too bad there's no Shenmue 3 yet. Haven't played the first one, so I can't comment on that.)

- Jet Grind Radio (or Jet Set Radio outside of the U.S. Highly recommended!)

- Dead or Alive 2

- Skies of Arcadia (A fun RPG, if you're into those!)

- PowerStone 1 & 2 (Highly addictive 3D fighting games that are very easy to pick up!)

That's all I can think of for now! There's definitely more, though.

You know, I've had a European copy of Shenmue 2 for several years now, but I've never been able to get very far in it because it often crashes when loading between areas. I don't know if it's the boot disc I'm using or what, but if there's any suggestions relating to the issue, I'd certainly like to sit down and finally play through the darned game. :?