OCR01871 - Valkyrie Profile "The Shining Blue Armor Descends"

djpretzel

Everyone of us has heard the call!

Pretty damn authentic sounding, with some rocking guitar parts- this has come a long way since the WIP thread. I think the mixing was still rough, but it makes it more kvlt.

I'm sure i mentioned it before, but vikings wielding katanas? I assume it's because you are fighting with your homies from Japan and you gotta make due with what's available. Struck me as weird until I put two and two together.

Anyways, congrats on getting this posted, seems like a death vox explosion this past month; pretty cool. :-)

La oss skåle for Chipp and Fray!

... wow. That was intense, and it should go without saying that I've never heard anything remotely like this on OCR before. It's great to see new ground being broken all the time on this site, so thanks for perpetuating that notion of expansion and creativity!

That being said, I have no idea how to go about reviewing this. I've never listened to Viking Metal in my life so I don't know how this stacks up compared to the professional stuff. I liked the growling vocals, but the spoken word felt pretty corny to me, honestly. That's about all I've got to say.

Holy bananas. Simply, wow. When I read that this mixed "Behave Irrationally"(without reading the description), I expected a very calm and soothing piece. Boy, was I in for a surprise! :)

Overall, this is one of the more original mixes I've heard in a while for a video game. It's very... out there. But at the same time, it fits perfectly with the Valkyrie Profile universe(or any other game that has Motoi Sakuraba's name on it).

The arrangement is absolutely solid. I really didn't expect hearing those two pieces in a heavy and intense metal rock song. My only gripe (and I'm sure I speak for others as well) is the mixing. Sometimes, it sounds too "muddy", the bass is way overpowering, or it just doesn't sound clear enough.

However, I believe the idea and the execution of this mix more than make up for that small little annoyance. Sure, it's definitely not a relaxing piece, but it really powers you up! I feel like taking on the gods themselves upon listening to this!

Bravo! :)

Viking Metal is the genre I spend most time listening to, reading this mix description really got me interested even though I'm not too familiar with the source material.

I think the whole thing is great, it sounds like Bathory meets Falkenbach meets Amon Amarth, I really like this !

The rasp Black Metal vocals could have been recorded a bit better though, especially since the rest sounds so smooth. The guitar work is awesome :D

Thanks for making this, I like it and it helps me believing Viking Metal is a real genre that can appeal to a wide audience =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Holy shit. This is condensed epic. Groundbreaking on OcreMix. \m/ (O.O) \m/ I guess I'm in for surprises like this when I haven't updated my ocremix torrents in a long time. It sounds like they mixed in some metalcore elements in the style here and there. The vocals were generally pretty good too, except perhaps the very beginning, which felt very metalcore-ish to me, at least. Overall though this is quality from start to finish. Fitting production, great guitar/drum work, etc ...

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01871 - Valkyrie Profile "The Shining Blue Armor Descends"