OCR01872 - New Super Mario Bros. "Plumber's Bane: I. Don't Look Back!"

djpretzel

Woah, this is big, loud and very macabre. Great concept piece. I could always hear the dark side of Kondo's work, and always thought it has gone underappreciated for a while. This mines that material and concentrates it into an extremely well-produced five and a half minutes. Also, I love pipe organ work, especially when used with darkened material, so this is a high achiever for me.

The first half of the mix, while not the superior half, couldn't have been done any better in my opinion. It's like a gothic retrospective of past castle themes, but in no way a traditional medly. We get portions of familiarity shrouded in dissonance and organ hits. Quite an admirable decision and one I appreciate a lot. It makes the thrust into the 'New' Mario territory make a lot of sense and by that stage, the listener knows exactly what the mix is about, and hopefully what to expect from future installments.

This shows all the signs of a very promising series of mixes in the vein of the Cantata for Dancing movements. Let's hope it can live up to the potential suggested in this one. No pressure, or anything...

I have to hand it to you, Random Hero. You have death sentences for Mario and Luigi all over. Awesome remix from all the themes from the Super Mario series.

:idea::?:However, do you consider putting the Airship Theme from Super Mario Bros. 3 in your series? I don't know if that would make it even better or worse. What I think, the Airship theme would probably make it better, considering you have to go through dangerous airship boards in the game. :idea::?:

I give this remix 5 Bowsers out of 5.

• 2 months later...

Random Hero, this mix right here is one of the reasons why I enjoy this site! I can't get enough dark, evil organ work from this! The beginning sounds like a score of impending doom and I can imagine a great confrontation/ taunting from Bowser in the middle. Love the slow down right at the end, it sounds like the sound of Bowser finally beating Mario. I've heard part 2 on VGmix as well. That was equally impressive and I hope you manage to get it on OCR too.

Edit: Oops, didn't realize I reviewed this already. My bad. This review's better anyway.

The beginning sounds like a score of impending doom and I can imagine a great confrontation/ taunting from Bowser in the middle.

Your not far off. The intro (first 30 seconds) was inspired by a song from the Independence Day score (The Darkest Day). so yeah Impending doom is exactly what i was going for!

Oh and Part 2 (and with a new ending) has been submitted here and it will soon reach the panel.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm probably one of the few people who thinks the castle/fortress themes of NSMB are not quite as good or as memorable as the ones from Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World. But you sir, did them justice. The production is silky smooth and the flow between the different pieces was flawless. Worth listening to again and again.

• 3 weeks later...

how on earth did i miss this one? i specifically remember seeing this on the frontpage when it was posted, but i guess i never listened to it.

anyway, this is stellar, and i'm excited to see the second movement on the site as well (of course, the unabridged version would be the definitive, but we can't have everything :P)

great job! :nicework:

• 1 year later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01872 - New Super Mario Bros. "Plumber's Bane: I. Don't Look Back!"