WIP - ReKlaimed (Donkey Kong Country 2)

[EDIT: 7-18-09] New Version!

[Version 1]

[Version 2]

The source can be found [here]

A remix of Kannon's Klaim from Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest. I'll warn you now, I've never made a remix before this one in my lifespan. It just so happens I had a bout of insomnia and had GarageBand at my disposal. Everything was recreated with a keyboard, save the clanking backbeat and part of the drum loop. I'd like to do more with the beginning, if anyone has any suggestions.

Good? Craptastical? You decide.

~Kitsune

Well...I can't say much, considering I didn't find the source...nor have I heard the song before. ._. So...nice what you've got I guess? And it feels sorta bland. I'm not really feeling the music like I should be.

Ah, sorry about that... I've added the source now and have an updated version that I'm much happier with (Just check out the first post again).

Thanks for listening!

You really need to be more detailed in what type of advice you're looking for.

The melody starts at 35/36 seconds in, in both the source and your remix, also your remix is really... reaaaalllly, close to the original. You sped up some drums to make it somewhat dance like in one section, and a few of the instruments have different sounds... that's about it.

As you stated though, this is your first mix ever. I did a similar thing back when I started in 2003 and thought it was pretty cool.

So from an OCRemix standpoint this song is Craptastical.

But from a beginner standpoint I'd say you're doing the right thing by putting yourself out there for critique. That said, you should read/listen to other songs in the WIP forums to understand more stuff about remixing.

Basically what you've put out isn't even a remix so much as it is the original song with a few alterations and changes in where certain beats/melodies play.

If you're really into "remixing" the melody from that song I'd suggest starting over.

Based on what I heard though perhaps you want to make a dance tune out of this song? If so I'd build off of the dance/drum sections you had going on.

You really need to be more detailed in what type of advice you're looking for.

The melody starts at 35/36 seconds in, in both the source and your remix, also your remix is really... reaaaalllly, close to the original. You sped up some drums to make it somewhat dance like in one section, and a few of the instruments have different sounds... that's about it.

As you stated though, this is your first mix ever. I did a similar thing back when I started in 2003 and thought it was pretty cool.

So from an OCRemix standpoint this song is Craptastical.

But from a beginner standpoint I'd say you're doing the right thing by putting yourself out there for critique. That said, you should read/listen to other songs in the WIP forums to understand more stuff about remixing.

Basically what you've put out isn't even a remix so much as it is the original song with a few alterations and changes in where certain beats/melodies play.

If you're really into "remixing" the melody from that song I'd suggest starting over.

Based on what I heard though perhaps you want to make a dance tune out of this song? If so I'd build off of the dance/drum sections you had going on.

Thank you for your words. When I first decided to do this, I did follow the song's pattern, like you pointed out. Then again, it spawned from just having a bit of fun in GarageBand on one of my bouts of insomnia. For all I know, I might not be cut out to do this kind of stuff.

Anyways, I tried to get a bit away from the cookie-cutter feeling more towards the end with the addition of my own chords around 1:35 - 1:54 and the fading and piano overlay at 2:08 - 2:30, or at least I thought I was trying. As far as starting over though, do you suggest I keep the echo theme I'm working with? And what about instruments? I mixed a bit of traditional (Piano, bass guitar, etc) and synth instruments, but does that work usually, or not? And what of the sample I used from the original song (the clanking beat), keep, chunk, or recreate?