Rock Band Network **Musicians! LOOK AT THIS**

sephfire

Harmonix just announced something huge: the Rock Band Network.

Set to appear on the 360 this year and the other platforms sometime after, the RBN will allow anyone to chart and submit their music to Rock Band. So long as the music is yours (or you have the artist's permission), you can use the official Harmonix tools to prepare your song for Rock Band, create a note chart, and submit it to a team of Harmonix-associated devs for approval. You'll even get a percentage of the profits.

More details, as well as a video describing the process HERE.

This could be something amazing. We could be playing songs by OCR artists in Rock Band before the year is over. Spread the word to any bands you know!

Just heard about this.Def gonna be taking advantage of it :D

Nobody said the music had to be "rock" or have guitars in it :P

UNTZ UNTZ COMING TO ROCKBAND!!

Yeah, I wonder how they'll handle that. There's bound to be a lot of submissions of tracks that aren't even close to rock. Guess we'll see.

Also, I wonder how strict they'll be on the issue of remixes? Odds are, they probably won't allow them for legal reasons. But can you imagine playing the entirety Metroid Metal in Rock Band?

My hearts skipped a beat typing that.

http://kotaku.com/5317081/harmonix-msoft-will-filter-artist-music-uploads

Okay, so they will be policing profanity and copyright infringement. Some of our rearrangements may be a bit of a grey area, but remixes and covers are probably still a no-no.

Still, OCR artists' original work in Rock Band will be great. Not to mention the countless other bands that can contribute freely.

Definitely. I know it hasnt been stated, but I really hope there isnt a "genre" restriction. Like.. you can easily throw a lead or 2 on to the guitar/bass tracks. I wonder if you need vocals? Im waiting for more info. heh what would kinda suck is if they do let in electronica, but all the bass players get is off beat hits :P

I don't see why vocals would be required; there are a few official HMX songs in RB-RB2 that don't have vocals. It just says "NO PART."

Also, those that wish to contribute/upload their music (or review songs) will have to be subscribed to Microsoft's XNA Creators Club - it's $100 a year. That's really the only downside I can think of for this, though. Except that those of us who already chart in the custom community will feel less special. :)

I don't see why vocals would be required; there are a few official HMX songs in RB-RB2 that don't have vocals. It just says "NO PART."

Also, those that wish to contribute/upload their music (or review songs) will have to be subscribed to Microsoft's XNA Creators Club - it's $100 a year. That's really the only downside I can think of for this, though. Except that those of us who already chart in the custom community will feel less special. :)

I'm likely going to be looking heavily into this for myself and at least artists on my label. Plus, I'm working with an indie dev team on an XNA game, so I'll have the XNA community membership.

I'm interested in working with people to release their tracks through my company (Protagonist). That way you guys don't have to each get your own $100 subscription, and also along with it would hopefully be a bit of exposure through my label and whatnot.

If you're interested, keep in touch. I'll be looking into this.