Futurama recast? Say it isn't so...

Toadofsky

If this is true, I have to say, it's a deal breaker for me....

http://tv.ign.com/articles/100/1004973p1.html

The original cast is what made the show (not just the writers, at least to me), but if they aren't returning, I can't say I'd be that interested in it. History may repeat itself when the Simpsons cast had a renegotiation with their pay, but I worry with this show.

One of the first official links I've seen:

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/futurama-new-voices.html?cnn=yes

Well, all I can say is that I'll watch the first ep. If it doesn't bother me that much (or if I'm extremely bored), I just might continue watching. But, most likely, I'll just ignore the new eps. Such a terrible, terrible change. Billy, Katey and John MADE the show! Their voices are so iconic to the whole series!

Hey, they gotta play by business rules just like everyone else. The rule of business is suck up every penny that isn't nailed down, and Futurama, despite a huge following, just never had that mass appeal that puts it up there with The Simpsons and Family Guy.

Hence, restart the show with a budget that gets slashed and unable to pay off the actors, hire new ones with lower pay so you can still potentially call it a profit.

Trust me, I think this sucks too, but its only in a perfect world where good things come to an end cleanly. It still might work out (but probably not).

while i don't particularly care for this show, i gotta say, even i'm a bit insulted by the idea.

you can't just switch out the key players like that and expect to carry on, it just doesn't work. switching out a single character, yeah ok, people will always talk about the episodes before and after that, but its forgiveable and will maintain the loyal viewers.

But an entire star line-up?????

Compared to what? Do you know how much a VA makes on average? How about for a hit show like The Simpsons or South Park?

'Cause I sure as hell don't.

By the way, the cast of Friends was getting about a million per episode by the end. I've also read that the voice actors for The Simpsons are getting around 400,000 per episode now. 75,000 doesn't seem like too much compared to what other entertainers are making.

By the way, the cast of Friends was getting about a million per episode by the end. I've also read that the voice actors for The Simpsons are getting around 400,000 per episode now. 75,000 doesn't seem like too much compared to what other entertainers are making.

Futurama is not "Friends" though, neither is it The Simpsons. It was Legendary-Awesome show, but it was not a Legendary show. Its cult, not classic and thats what makes the difference.

I read the title as "Futurama racist? Say it isn't so..."

I was so eager to see people finally acknowledge the horrible discrimination that takes place in the future.

But no. Instead we're worrying about a bunch of people (whom I might add will be long dead and turned to dust in the year 3009) getting paid too much or not enough or something.

God, this is why flying saucers attack in 2250...

Futurama is not "Friends" though, neither is it The Simpsons. It was Legendary-Awesome show, but it was not a Legendary show. Its cult, not classic and thats what makes the difference.

Which is exactly why they aren't asking for nearly half a million dollars per episode. It's a show that's had several movies and was brought back from the dead based on it's popularity. You can't blame the voice actors for wanting more money.

I understand the logic of recasting to lower production costs. I really hope nobody leaves though. After 5 seasons and 2 movies you can't just change actors and expect it to work just as well. Especially given Futuramas cult following.

Compared to what? Do you know how much a VA makes on average? How about for a hit show like The Simpsons or South Park?

'Cause I sure as hell don't.

In reference i dont think Seinfeld or Friends cast members got anywhere near that until the show started becoming dominant on nightly TV. And that's full out acting. No clue what most make but trust me if its more than 10k an ep i would be damned surprised.

Which is exactly why they aren't asking for nearly half a million dollars per episode. It's a show that's had several movies and was brought back from the dead based on it's popularity. You can't blame the voice actors for wanting more money.

I can blame THESE voice actors, because almost every single one of them will never have to worry about being out of work. Billy West, Frank Welker, John D, Maurice, Phil LaMarr, Tress MacNeill. They're all in every cartoon you've ever seen and will ever see. The only thing missing is Grey Delisle for godsakes.

And this is what bothers me when someone brings up the Simpsons debate on being paid, those actors, for the most part, aren't nearly as prolific as the cast of Futurama. You see them guest star on every sitcom around, but without the Simpsons, many of them would have never been heard again.

So while I see that maybe those actors just don't want to come back because its been there, done that, and want to get paid fairly for coming back AGAIN anyway, they really don't need the money that badly.

/studies voice acting on the faint dream that he himself will get to voice act again someday.

I can blame THESE voice actors, because almost every single one of them will never have to worry about being out of work. Billy West, Frank Welker, John D, Maurice, Phil LaMarr, Tress MacNeill. They're all in every cartoon you've ever seen and will ever see. The only thing missing is Grey Delisle for godsakes.

And this is what bothers me when someone brings up the Simpsons debate on being paid, those actors, for the most part, aren't nearly as prolific as the cast of Futurama. You see them guest star on every sitcom around, but without the Simpsons, many of them would have never been heard again.

So while I see that maybe those actors just don't want to come back because its been there, done that, and want to get paid fairly for coming back AGAIN anyway, they really don't need the money that badly.

/studies voice acting on the faint dream that he himself will get to voice act again someday.

These voice actors are in everything because they are good at what they do. All the more reason to ask for more money. Why should any of these actors waste their time working for a company that won't pay them what they're worth?