OCRA-0014 - Final Fantasy IV: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption

The humour in some of the tracks is GOLD! I especially enjoyed Metal Mage (I WANT MILK!) If there was a form of sexual inuendo in that, I can't tell, but hey, it's funny! That's what counts.

I want Milk? LOL! Its not sexual innuendo, since the original lyric is "I WANT METAL" so... yea...

*cough*

Regardless, glad you liked my track! :D

I want Milk? LOL! Its not sexual innuendo, since the original lyric is "I WANT METAL" so... yea...

*cough*

Regardless, glad you liked my track! :D

I was waiting for you to say this. I'm saying it was "I want milk" from now on because it's just that much more delightfully unrelated to the song, style, or anything else.

Oh, and thanks A-RoN for the review, and glad you enjoyed my take on calcobrena. I do enjoy zyko's work, but I don't think that was my influence this time around.

Actually, thanks again to everyone for all the reviews.

My brother thought it was "I Want Milk" too at first, I guess it does kind of sound like that if there's no context, mind you, the metal style of the song should be context enough.

Anyone have the full lyrics for "Rhymes with Elixir"? Been having a lot of fun with this song but there are some parts I can't quite make out lyrically.

Rhymes With Elixir

Rhymes with Elixir

(chocobo)

no introduction needed; heh, y'all know me-

even g's in thier 30's just can't seem to outgrow me.

rockin mimmit greens and chill sippin on potion-

busting phat gold rhymes to take you across the ocean.

every title that i'm on gets a new kind of class-

you think these games went platinum because of tidus and his whiny ass? (i hate you dad)

everyone be beggin for me up in their mix-

i got more guest spots than even Ludacriss.

OG to the core, you'l never see me stressin-

album sales through the roof; record gains is the direction.

sucka MCs get buried at my discretion-

and the shawties hanging round; I just make my selection.

from Babil to Fabul I keep the rhymes coming

but when the red wings regulate suckas all start runnin

but you know i'm standing tall, no matter what they've got equipped

'cause i'm rolling posse deep, even though i'm on a solo tip

Chorus

Chocobo, chocobo you're so fine

you've got more bling than all of these guys

Yo, chocobo's so hood

this song is very good

Yo, this bridge goes out to the one and only DJP

and i gotta give props to the sexy women

so Shiva break it down, and tell em how you livin'

(shiva)

Ok boys, let's turn the temperature down,

I'm the queen of the North, the coldest woman around.

Those fools are frozen solid - leaving no trace,

Don't even think for a second I'm only ribbons and lace

You think you can fight me, you don't stand a chance

Gonna bury you sucka, I'll drop an avalanche

As slippery as ice, and as brilliant as snow

My rhymes are so slick, there's just no stopping the flow

My body refined in a sub-zero climate

But my beauty isn't something you can imitate

You think you can own me, but I'm the dominate

I'm so hot you won't melt, you're gonna sublimate

All the heroes showing me nothing but lust

Cuz my bling be glittering like diamond dust

And the other ladies can't seem to suffice

Cause there's just no comparing to this mistress of ICE.

Chorus

(tonberry)

In the cold dark shadows, yea that's where I live,

And if your party runs up on me then you'll be tastin' my shiv,

So if we ever cross pathes you best be usin' your brain,

'Cause this is TONBERRY fool, and I'm the real T-Pain.

(cactaur)

You'd better not blink since i move so fast

don't ever be dissin me, i'll bust a thousand caps;

my needles are tiny, but the're my only attack

so thugged out with street cred, my power's at max;

Thanks for the lyrics!

Just to add something else meaningful, I have to say I'm really enjoying some of the bonus tracks now, especially Phantom of the Zeromus, and I Love this Radio. I really only went through the bonus tracks once initially, but there are some definite gems now that I've started to spend more time with them.

The clash between the growling Zeromus in Genesis of Destruction, versus the opera like, almost too proper Zeromus in Phantom makes the two songs seem completely different even though they are very similar aside from this difference. I can fully understand why Genesis was used as the album track but I really think the opposing male and female singing voices in Phantom worked awesomely, and even created an interesting harmony at times. It's certainly staying in my head more than Genesis did (and how can anyone not love the "NO... GET BACK!!" part).

I Love this Radio is very unique, it was very nice to get a rendition of Theme of Love that kinda threw the original atmosphere of the song out of the door and just had fun with it. This track just kinda plays with the melody, creating a catchy groove that I've been having a hard time getting out of my head as well. The ending with the "radio" sort of sputtering out was a nice touch. This track for me, is basically the equivalent of the Still Alive tune you hear on those radios in Portal, for FFIV... I know people here played Portal so that shouldn't be too obscure a reference.

Anyway, it's clearly time for me to do a track by track review, I just have to to find the appropriate method of doing so as there's no way it's going to fit into a single post.

... Phantom worked awesomely, and even created an interesting harmony at times. It's certainly staying in my head more than Genesis did (and how can anyone not love the "NO... GET BACK!!" part).

I wish I thought of that, because NO... GET BACK, works soo much more awesomely than my like... vague attempt at a dying screech of sorts...

Oh well, live and learn. XD

Awesome! I can always use another FF remix!

I can't quite manage to hold this much music in my head at the same time after only one listen, but I'll note songs that left an impression on me. Note that I'm not a musician myself, so my reactions tend to be more emotional than technical.

The first song kicks off the album in grand style. I love orchestral versions of video game music, and this could be the opening for a movie.

The "99 Red Ballons" opening in Ana(pro)logue kinda gave me whiplash. Made me chuckle when I recognized it, but it also broke the fourth wall (so to speak) for me. I see what you did there, but... I'm not sure it worked.

RDX Necklace takes an awful long time to get started. I realize the source material doesn't offer much to work with, but my ears just plain get bored by the 2 minute mark.

Just the title of Golbez 'n Goblins makes me laugh.

The harmonies in Fighting for Tomorrow remind me of a hard-to-define Belgian band called "Encryption" I heard a few years ago on Radio Rivendell. Yours is much less repetitive, though. :)

Rhymes With Elixir is a great entry in the grand tradition of non-serious chocobo remixes. Shiva's line about making you sublimate made me laugh aloud. :)

Until the Tower Falls is definitely a standout among the instrumentals. The epic fanfare ending is perfect. :)

I absolutely love the over-the-top "rock opera" feel of Genesis of Destruction. It kind of reminds me of the latter part of "Darkness and Starlight" on Black Mages 3, which you should take as an enormous compliment. I'd like to see the lyrics, though!

On Genesis vs. Phantom, I think the ideal would kinda be a mix between the two (re-remix?). Like as in, the music from Genesis (which I prefer), with the Phantom vocals overlayed on the growly Zeromus noises that are saying the same thing at the same time... if that makes sense. Like "No! Get back! Nooooooo..." overlayed with "Rar! Growr-rar! Raaaaaaaaaaar..."

I wish I thought of that, because NO... GET BACK, works soo much more awesomely than my like... vague attempt at a dying screech of sorts...

haha, well don't worry, I liked what you did as well! On top of that I have to give you props for being able to pretend you're Zeromus and give it all you've got, that has to take some doing. That goes for anyone doing lyrics on this or any mix that are supposed to be in character btw, I know it probably feels like a stretch when you're singing it but hey, they turned out pretty well!

I think for me, I found the singing a little more unique since we've had a few growling mixes lately (and particularly liked the short parts that were sung in unison), but both versions of the Final Battle are pretty sweet as far as I'm concerned.

I like Aubri's comparison to the Black Mages' Darkness & Starlight as well, good call, I get a similar vibe. I think this probably resonates a little more since it's in english, which obviously helps.

RDX Necklace takes an awful long time to get started. I realize the source material doesn't offer much to work with, but my ears just plain get bored by the 2 minute mark.

well the idea was to have a long cresendo - the melody is almost impossible to make out until about the 2 min mark - and we wanted the soundscape to take over - just try to allow yourself to let the mist burning scene takeover and i think you'll find the enjoyment in the track

I absolutely love the over-the-top "rock opera" feel of Genesis of Destruction. It kind of reminds me of the latter part of "Darkness and Starlight" on Black Mages 3, which you should take as an enormous compliment. I'd like to see the lyrics, though!

Thanks dude! The track and album just really lent it self to the idea. You'll find the lyrics in the tags - and on the site whenever it gets posted :/ (ahem?)

Just to add something else meaningful, I have to say I'm really enjoying some of the bonus tracks now, especially Phantom of the Zeromus, and I Love this Radio. I really only went through the bonus tracks once initially, but there are some definite gems now that I've started to spend more time with them.

The clash between the growling Zeromus in Genesis of Destruction, versus the opera like, almost too proper Zeromus in Phantom makes the two songs seem completely different even though they are very similar aside from this difference. I can fully understand why Genesis was used as the album track but I really think the opposing male and female singing voices in Phantom worked awesomely, and even created an interesting harmony at times. It's certainly staying in my head more than Genesis did (and how can anyone not love the "NO... GET BACK!!" part).

Hey, thanks! I'm really glad you took the time to check out the bonus tracks. I was worried the "No/Get back" part would come off too cheesy, but I guess it worked after all :).

Well, I didn't come up with that until a long time after Genesis was done, unfortunately. The screaming in your version does work with the context, though.

The first song kicks off the album in grand style. I love orchestral versions of video game music, and this could be the opening for a movie.

Until the Tower Falls is definitely a standout among the instrumentals. The epic fanfare ending is perfect. :)

On Genesis vs. Phantom, I think the ideal would kinda be a mix between the two (re-remix?). Like as in, the music from Genesis (which I prefer), with the Phantom vocals overlayed on the growly Zeromus noises that are saying the same thing at the same time... if that makes sense. Like "No! Get back! Nooooooo..." overlayed with "Rar! Growr-rar! Raaaaaaaaaaar..."

Thanks for the compliments :). Very interesting idea combining both vocal parts - that had never crossed my mind. Really, the idea for this track came after Genesis was completed as I wanted to have a more classical/opera version of the track. Just about all the orchestra was already written for the Genesis version, so it just came down to tweaking it and adding my own vocals for zero. I'm glad you liked parts of both versions.

well the idea was to have a long cresendo - the melody is almost impossible to make out until about the 2 min mark - and we wanted the soundscape to take over - just try to allow yourself to let the mist burning scene takeover and i think you'll find the enjoyment in the track

It does remind me a bit of Fallout, or the overworld music from 2300 AD in Chrono Trigger.

You're right -- at the time I was listening with my full attention, and two minutes is a long time when you're in that mode. I wasn't really expecting an atmospheric piece, which accounts for my negative reaction.

For the record, RDX Necklace did go into my list of background music to use in my tabletop gaming sessions.

Thanks for the compliments :). Very interesting idea combining both vocal parts - that had never crossed my mind. Really, the idea for this track came after Genesis was completed as I wanted to have a more classical/opera version of the track. Just about all the orchestra was already written for the Genesis version, so it just came down to tweaking it and adding my own vocals for zero. I'm glad you liked parts of both versions.

I kinda picture Zeromus in this context as Golbez's actor in a huge sequined outfit/parade float with a golf cart under it so he can move around the stage.

Thanks dude! The track and album just really lent it self to the idea. You'll find the lyrics in the tags - and on the site whenever it gets posted :/ (ahem?)

Oh, I see. Awesome! Thanks! Also, I'd like to note that I'm not saying I dislike Phantom. I'm just a sucker for rock opera. (Or maybe I'm just a sucker.)

(BTW, I was trying to refer to the duel between Draco and Ralse. Just to clarify.)

Shamefully, I only got to listen to the full album a week or so ago (I blame life) but I loved it. Very consistent, and if there is an overriding theme, it's not the style or genre or mood, it's that things sound epic. Seriously, track after track, these songs hit hard and it suits the soundtrack. OK, OK, there are some good quiet moments in there too. It's very hard to pick favorites, so I'm not going to try. Yep, I'm taking the easy way out. Great job, everyone involved.

Where can find the lyrics for the two Zeromus songs?

Somewhere it was said lyrics could be found in the "tags", but I do not know what those are.

Any help?

Thanks....

Every mp3 file encodes a certain amount of non-audio information collectively called tags. This contains information like the track title, composer, track number, and so forth; every mp3 player I know of displays some of that information while the track is playing.

As for how to view the tags directly, it depends on the mp3 player you're using. If you're in iTunes, right click on the song and click Get Info, then click on the Lyrics tab. Windows Media Player works the same way if you check the Info Center or right-click on a song in the playlist pane and click Advanced Tag Editor. On an iPod, just click the center button until the notes come up. For WinAmp, double click on the song title to view the tags, and the lyrics appear in the Comments field.

This is quite the fine album. A lot of variety, a lot of experimentation, invention and a lot of knockout tracks. It might be a bit guitar-heavy in the long run, but that's nothing I see as an inherent flaw. The first cd is something I listen to from start to finish every time. I am enraptured by the remix of Another Moon. I thought real bravado and strength was given to the Baron, Red Wings and Battle themes. Level 99 and Audio Fidelity's take on Damcyan Castle gives Edward something to really cry about. bLind's tracks are all highlights. Songs that I wasn't entirely crazy about in the game spring to life here. Even the outrageous choice of doing a rap remix of the Chocobo theme is unapologetic for its absurdity. It keeps a straight face, and it works.

Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption is definitely something this community ought to be proud of. That said, I take issue with two things:

The first of which: Much of the tracks run on long. Very long. Ridiculously, needlessly long. And a lot of it is just fluff, having little to nothing in common with the source material and not always expanding or improving upon the foundation. Were the remixers intimidated, perhaps? Did they feel like no one would appreciate their interpretation(or contribution) over Nobuo Uematsu's compositions? Some tracks are so bloated, they have anywhere from 3-5 minutes of extra material. Not all of it bad, but even then, it's asking a bit much. There is a time to know when to draw the line, to make your point and move on. It's too much of a much of too much... At least I think that's how the saying goes.

For some examples of this, see the Rydia, Edward and Zeromus tracks.

Speaking of, let me make it clear now that the first 23 seconds of "Genesis of Destruction" is the absolute best part of this album. It never occurred to me in my wildest dreams that Zeromus could have an operatic take on his theme, the same way that skyrocketed Sephiroth to infamy. It makes the following paragraph(s) all the more painful, because it gives us a peek at what could have been, and what -should- have been.

Now that that's out of the way, the Zeromus remix is a crime-scene, a place where a brilliant final boss track was brutally defiled.

This is not because it has lyrics. This is not because it has vocals. It's not because there are many remixers credited. It's not because it shares almost no relation to the song it's supposed to be based off of. I can't identify much in common, even after listening very carefully to individual parts of the chorus, verses, bridge, bass and any subliminal messages that may have been imprinted to get us to donate more to OCRemix.

I hate it because it ignores or forgets a lot of what makes the original song so effective. Whereas the DS remix is terrible mostly due to the choice of sounds, this is an-all around catastrophe.

What happened? I'm not convinced it is a case of too many cooks in the kitchen, and it's certainly not the fault of the recipe. It is simply an embarrassing, excruciating mix that doesn't belong on this album, on this website, or on the portfolio of anyone involved. I do not believe the people responsible are bad at what they do. I'm sure they intended to make a great climactic song to cap off the album. I'm sure they will all do great things in the future. Hopefully they will never do anything again like: "Together, we'll fight for, OUR WORLD", followed by the worst conceivable Nathan Explosion impression repeatedly telling me to "Die!". It is Icarus, reaching too high and collapsing into the waves.

This does not ruin the album for me. There is too much good here for that. But oh, does it ever leave a scar.

and any subliminal messages that may have been imprinted to get us to donate more to OCRemix.

Was this meant as a joke or did you really think you found subliminal messages in the song about donating more to OCRemix? My sarcasm meter broke yesterday in a facebook status thread. :tomatoface:

I'm pretty sure he was kidding, Stevo. Donate to OCR today!

I don't know. I put subliminal messages in mine... Clearly, they haven't worked, as I have received no moneys and I'm not yet King of Ireland...

Was this meant as a joke or did you really think you found subliminal messages in the song about donating more to OCRemix? My sarcasm meter broke yesterday in a facebook status thread. :tomatoface:

That was my futile attempt at this thing you Earth-People call "Comedy". Although I fear by saying it, I've given someone out there the idea...

Now that that's out of the way, the Zeromus remix is a crime-scene, a place where a brilliant final boss track was brutally defiled.

This is not because it has lyrics. This is not because it has vocals. It's not because there are many remixers credited. It's not because it shares almost no relation to the song it's supposed to be based off of. I can't identify much in common, even after listening very carefully to individual parts of the chorus, verses, bridge, bass and any subliminal messages that may have been imprinted to get us to donate more to OCRemix.

I hate it because it ignores or forgets a lot of what makes the original song so effective. Whereas the DS remix is terrible mostly due to the choice of sounds, this is an-all around catastrophe.

Sorry - don't usually address criticism but as far as source - i painstakingly went through each section following the source extremely close

The problem that comes off is some of the elements are lost with mixing the vocals so up front. But the harmony is near verbatim minus the chant which is the same progression from the another moon track before it.

There is source scattered through every section. The bassline is near verbatim from the original. The hooks are all over the place (stacked 4ths). The verse has in two different variations that come across more apparent in the serialist version. But besides the chorus, yes - the vox melody isn't really source at all.

Go through the serialist version without the vox and tell me you still can't hear it.