OCRA-0014 - Final Fantasy IV: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption

This may not be the place for this, but this is driving me crazy...

So, I downloaded the new album released here: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption, and there's a piece that's bugging me.

Spiraling Decay, by Children of the Monkey Machine... pretty much an hour of whispers, crackles, feedback... just sound. Since I'm at work, I figured I would try to listen to the whole thing as just background sound, but... during random intervals, it will fade out and go totally silent. I will take note of the time it started fading out, jump ahead a few minutes to hear everything's back up, then go a few seconds before the time it dropped out (following?) to hear no fadeout, and the piece continues to play normally. This happens countless times during the piece.

I've not tried it through other media players yet, but I don't see why that would matter... unless windows media player gets tired of playing the same file for upwards of ten minutes...

I bet my computer's possessed or something. Ho noes!

Sound drops tend to be used on demos of audio products. Theres a good chance that whatever audio program you're using to listen to the track hasn't been activated or is a demo.

Naw... this is Windows Media Player... I've had it on my computer for well over a year now, and it plays every other song just fine (even ones ranging into 20-minute length).

EDIT: And it's on a legit copy of Windows, and the player itself was downloaded through Microsoft's website, and validated using their validation software.

Afternoon all.

I've finally got online to get the latest Project down and am working my way through it.

Seems to have some very nice stuff, tho, I've not got the time nor the patience to actually review it track by track right now as I gear up for another day of... job searching and playing Disgaea on PSP or Disgaea 3 and Wipeout HD Fury on PS3.

But still, great stuff to go on so far,

Particularly AeroZ and AnotherSoundscape. :)

This may not be the place for this, but this is driving me crazy...

So, I downloaded the new album released here: Echoes of Betrayal, Light of Redemption, and there's a piece that's bugging me.

Spiraling Decay, by Children of the Monkey Machine... pretty much an hour of whispers, crackles, feedback... just sound. Since I'm at work, I figured I would try to listen to the whole thing as just background sound, but... during random intervals, it will fade out and go totally silent. I will take note of the time it started fading out, jump ahead a few minutes to hear everything's back up, then go a few seconds before the time it dropped out (following?) to hear no fadeout, and the piece continues to play normally. This happens countless times during the piece.

I've not tried it through other media players yet, but I don't see why that would matter... unless windows media player gets tired of playing the same file for upwards of ten minutes...

I bet my computer's possessed or something. Ho noes!

Is it really an hour long? It could be that your screen saver is coming on or your computer is trying to go to sleep.

Is it really an hour long? It could be that your screen saver is coming on or your computer is trying to go to sleep.

The piece is 56:33... also, I'm using my computer at work, so I know it's not trying to sleep.

Oddly enough, I tried to open it in Adobe Audition, and it simply interpreted the file as pure static. I opened it in Audacity, and it only showed 35 minutes of the piece...

the track should be about 30 mins and the only real silence comes in about the end

all the sounds used come from the original sounds in the song

Hmm... that's interesting...

This isn't the first file that's ever had an incorrect time length displayed in windows media player for me. There have been several others, although, they just end "early" instead of dropping out. I wonder what causes this...

if your on a pc - just use winamp or itunes - you shouldn't be having a problem like that - i make no comment on products made by microsoft tho :P

Quiet, Mac-ie! :tomatoface:

I honestly would try redownloading the song again and trying that. If it's still acting all exorcist-y, winamp and foobar are great for windows, itunes for mac, and mplayer, banshee, or rhythm box (I know you're using windows, but this is the covering-all-bases thing).

Good luck, it's a great track to lose yourself in. I fell asleep to it one night and it gave me some really messed up dreams.

brian - his comments about the imp is referring to where we put your track - in that it's intense and we say that in the game they have to go out and battle harsh foes at that moment - who just so happen to be imps :P heh

your track has def grown on me - and i think it will for others too - you keep a nice pacing - and what you did with the guitars :) came out pretty awesome

thanks for the read david - you have a good ear and picked up on so many things - very cool

So I have listened to this in its entirety. And while part of me wants to just say, "Oh hey, it's OCR, it's mad good!" I really cannot. In my opinion this is decent at best. I have to agree with the review that OCR albums have been on the decline as it's really hard to stand up to projects like Kong in Concert or Relics of the Chozo.

It's not that the individual work put in is by any means bad though I will say there are some definite weak tracks that should not have been included. I will not mention names as mudslinging is next to pointless. Overall I did not find the tracklist as a whole very riveting nor did it quite keep my full attention the entire way through. There were some tracks that I did pull out specifically to keep in my regular playlists. If you ask me, what the upcoming albums need are more consolidated track lists that truly represent the best of OCR instead of having it feel overbearing, cluttered, and on the whole that much weaker. The recent Tales album also suffered from this.

We need another album of just the elite doing what they do best and really demonstrating to the world what quality comes from OCR. I don't see why tracks that normally would not make it past the judge's panel would be included on an album that is representing this very community. Now if what I said about not all of these tracks being OCR worthy please tell me otherwise or put them onto the site where they would belong.

Well, I got Winamp (WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN USING THIS BEFORE??!?!) and the piece plays just fine through that. Windows must interpret something incorrectly from the file or something... eh, whatever. Thanks for your all's help (I'd still like to know why this is, so if anyone has any thoughts that would be great)

Well, I got Winamp (WHY HAVEN'T I BEEN USING THIS BEFORE??!?!) and the piece plays just fine through that. Windows must interpret something incorrectly from the file or something... eh, whatever. Thanks for your all's help (I'd still like to know why this is, so if anyone has any thoughts that would be great)

LOL, a 2-page Windows Media Player help thread merged into an "album comments/reviews" thread? Ok. Good thing the problem is finally resolved, this isn't exactly the thread I would ask for help in ^_^ And yes, Winamp is great =D

I'll have to check out this album too... man, so many albums I've been meaning to listen to...

So I have listened to this in its entirety. And while part of me wants to just say, "Oh hey, it's OCR, it's mad good!" I really cannot. In my opinion this is decent at best. I have to agree with the review that OCR albums have been on the decline as it's really hard to stand up to projects like Kong in Concert or Relics of the Chozo.

It's not that the individual work put in is by any means bad though I will say there are some definite weak tracks that should not have been included. I will not mention names as mudslinging is next to pointless. Overall I did not find the tracklist as a whole very riveting nor did it quite keep my full attention the entire way through. There were some tracks that I did pull out specifically to keep in my regular playlists. If you ask me, what the upcoming albums need are more consolidated track lists that truly represent the best of OCR instead of having it feel overbearing, cluttered, and on the whole that much weaker. The recent Tales album also suffered from this.

We need another album of just the elite doing what they do best and really demonstrating to the world what quality comes from OCR. I don't see why tracks that normally would not make it past the judge's panel would be included on an album that is representing this very community. Now if what I said about not all of these tracks being OCR worthy please tell me otherwise or put them onto the site where they would belong.

Oh? I think that because of the sheer out of people turning up wanted to do remixes for OCR now, it's added diversity, which the albums benefit from. Yes, there was it before, but if you look at previous albums, they all seemed to be linear, maybe that was because the Project undertaken was linear, or because the ideas wasn't too great either.

Agreed, the Tales of and from what I've listened through of the FFIV project have not been as good as older projects so far, like my favorite two VotL, or Project Chaos, but, I think that it's somewhat a step in the right direction.

So then album projects are the easy man's way to get his name into OCR? That sounds weak and a little underhanded to me. The first albums I was exposed to here at my stay at OCR were Kong, Relics, and Chaos. These were all phenomenal and I remember the first album I really felt disappointed with was the other Sonic one. Quality control is a necessary evil if you are going to spread these albums as ways to gather attention if you ask me. But I'm just voicing an opinion. The guys running the show should know what they're doing by now.

I'm being cynical and pessimistic about this on purpose just to put things in perspective from the gratuitous amounts of praise. Yes, it's warranted, but let's keep it real. ^ 3^

projects aren't an "easy man's way" of getting your name out here. they're just the largest opportunity. take an album of fifty songs. there's usually eight or ten people that are contributing their first mix to the community. since project forums often are places where a lot of feedback is given - more than in WIP, at least - it's easy for a newcomer to improve their craft and their track, as opposed to the WIP forum where there's only three or four regular contributers.

True that, prophet.

Besides, with a project you kind'a know when your music will be out. With OCR you sub, wait, and then you hear if you have to wait for your remix to be posted or if you have to resub and wait all over again. Projects are more appealing in that way, especially to newcomers.

You're looking at it from an outside POV. Nothing wrong with that, but it's only a part of what they are. The projects are a community thing, they just happen to be released to the public and made a big deal of because they're an easy way for people to sample what ocr is about. To many of us, it's a way to share our music with each other and to contribute to the community.

Not cohesive enough? They've never really been. Not enough quality control? You're welcome to try out for any of the projects we've got running, see how it looks like from the inside.

Dare I suggest a rose-tinted rear-view mirror doesn't give you an accurate comparison between then and now?

Dare I suggest a rose-tinted rear-view mirror doesn't give you an accurate comparison between then and now?

Oh you most certainly dare. The only response I have to this is that even if I have a rose-tinted rear-view mirror I can still listen to the albums I mentioned side by side today and come to the same conclusions. But let's leave that topic, it's a waste of time and in the end we're all going to say at the very least that the albums are all more than just okay because OCR even when not subject to the panel has some pretty high standards.

I understand I am strictly an outsider when it comes to such affairs. I have been around OCR a while mostly lurking and such and I personally have a hefty amount of musical skill, but I'm a performer not a composer/arranger. Touring Europe with an orchestra? That I can do. That I've done. Write a song/remix? Can't do it for the life of me. I'm really glad I pressed this point now because I didn't have that idea of what an album was for the actual remixers and those trying to get their names out there. Pretty cool, actually.

Though I wouldn't mind some more super quality albums anyway.:nicework:

So I know, what the hell is an Imp??

He's probably actually talking about goblins; they're the weakest monsters in the game.

"And then I dealt the imp a mighty blow!"

Dating myself with the original FFII US translation, I suppose.

Also, I was being tongue-in-cheek with that bit, not seriously critiquing (in case that was lost).

On the contrary. I would say that some of the latest albums have been the best. Radical Dreamers, Chrono Trigger, FF7 and this one. Not only do they show great musicianship compared to some of the earlier ones, but i think they show alot more diversity in style to. Its hard to sit through an entire album of DnB songs.

I'd agree with several commenters that this album doesn't stack up so well next to some of the previous OCR albums. Production quality (basically what I judge almost any song by--sorry, just a personal thing, I'm a trained mix engineer) is lacking on many (okay, most, in my personal opinion) of the tunes. That said, there are some absolute gems here that make it well worth the download--bLiNd is a genius.